Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > AT-TAC-307 "The Zombie Slayer" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: AT-TAC-307 "The Zombie Slayer"         Reply with quote

Gus always called this "The Zombie Slayer" when we spoke of it so we decided the name should stick.
This sword is a 100% "Hysterically accurate" model used during the Zombie apocalypse crusades of the year 2012. Gus sent of a sample back in time so we could arm the masses before the great outbreak.
Let me know what you think.
Also, We will be offering an optional Matching Baldric that I will post pics of tomorrow.

Sonny

www.valiant-armoury.com
www.customswordshoppe.com
G K Pfingsten

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: LOL!         Reply with quote

It's all in good fun I suppose, reminds me of some of Gus' Atrim Tactical Line. Personally, I think it's pretty awesome. I'd buy one for the right price, even if it's just for the novelty factor.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kudos on the description.

Quote:
This sword is a 100% "Hysterically accurate" model used during the Zombie apocalypse crusades of the year 2012. Gus sent of a sample back in time so we could arm the masses before the great outbreak.

It's nice to see something so accurate from that period.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark T

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If this handles and cuts anything like the old Atrim Tactical Longsword, it's going to be special ... the original is a joy to hold and behold ... my hope is that 'historical' folks will look past the looks, pick one up and play with it ... they might be pleasantly surprised!
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Dan P

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like a fun sword to cut with. I've always liked the looks of the ATrim tactical longswords but never been at the right time to get one while they were available.

Is the zombie slayer the first of the production ATrim tacticals that Valiant is supposed to be bringing over, or is it part of a different line? Any estimate on price and date of availability?
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm usually about 60/40 against fantasy pieces, but I like this one. It's a good example of how historical information about weight, proportion, etc. can inform even these flights of imagination. Ingenious grip.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I generally dislike tacticals but I also generally loves Gus' swords. maybe one day I'll handle one of his tacticals and be sold but I just can't get past the flat grip yet.

aside from that I do LOVE the diamond plate patterned under-wrap.
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After reading the feedback on this forum and a few others I have decided to add a couple of slabs under the tread plate leather wrap. I will experiment with wood and leather slabs until I find what works best. I plan to keep the tread plate theme and the general appearance that is shown in the pics above.

Sonny

www.valiant-armoury.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny Suttles wrote:
After reading the feedback on this forum and a few others I have decided to add a couple of slabs under the tread plate leather wrap. I will experiment with wood and leather slabs until I find what works best. I plan to keep the tread plate theme and the general appearance that is shown in the pics above.

Sonny

Yes it certainly seems interesting as a design and I could certainly be very tempted depending on price point: I don't expect or even desire a " dirt cheap " price and would rather it cost a little more but be justified by the quality of finish and heat treat.

So at a mid range price I would be interested.

Not historical but a good " theoretical tactical modern sword " ( Theoretical because I don't really expect Zombies to be around to try it on. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool ). I love a good design for it's own sake. Wink Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I don't really expect Zombies to be around to try it on.

Oh Jean, you'll be eating those words sometime next year (and other more unpleasant things if you get zombified)

I'd like it better if it had a micarts grip like the ones on Gus's original tacticals
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I can hear some of the historicalers moans... Laughing Out Loud

I'm with you Roger on seeing micarta but will add g10, paracorded or even exotic wood handle slabs...
J.E. Sweeney

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This one is special.... The Zombie Slayer theme is awesome, and I would love to see more theoretical/fantastical designs.
- JESW
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, Gus used Black Acetal plastic for the slabs before, he said it cleaned up easier than the Micarta. We plan to offer those as an option as well. I will mock up a sample in the next few days and post them here.

Also, here are a couple of quick pics of the 307 baldric. Steve is a rather large guy so the baldric looks a little small on him. I will make adjustments to the production version so it can fit even "Steve sized guys" Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

www.valiant-armoury.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I don't really expect Zombies to be around to try it on.

Oh Jean, you'll be eating those words sometime next year (and other more unpleasant things if you get zombified)

I'd like it better if it had a micarts grip like the ones on Gus's original tacticals

Micarta is certainly modern looking and very durable and can be attractive also but the leather handle does have a nice look to it. Thin carbon fibre slabs could be another option.

If the leather is kept for the handle the slabs underneath only need to be a dimensionally stable hardwood wood to keep the cost down.

A variety of handle treatments could be good as options maybe ?

Mark T

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hee hee ... I hadn't noticed the 'checkerplate' theme on the grip before ... and the 'biohazard'-ish iconography on the scabbard is hilarious! Laughing Out Loud

Next thing we know, they'll be using this model in Resident Evil 17: Die another day ... and another ...

How fantastic, then, to also have a back scabbard rig to add to the fantasy element - should really ruffle some feathers! Wink Folks, if you're feeling your short 'n' curlies curling even more, I can only reiterate what I said earlier: Gus' previous run of these handled and cut amazingly well - some might say better than many of his 'historical' models - so, if you like to learn from actually testing blades and can get past the looks on this one (and the lack of a functional guard), then you might have a tool that will expand your understanding of what a longsword can do ...

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple months ago I got really into the AMC network TV show called The Walking Dead. It was only a partial season of six episodes that was a test run to see if it would generate audience. It did and they're making a full season coming up soon.

The show was campy and silly, but I loved it. I looked forward to each episode and am excited to see the new show unfold.

Anyway, I can't help but think of this show when I see a "tactical" weapon like this pop up. I can envision it being a pretty successful thing to have in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark T wrote:
so, if you like to learn from actually testing blades and can get past the looks on this one (and the lack of a functional guard), then you might have a tool that will expand your understanding of what a longsword can do ...

Well, also a Sci-Fi nerd and horror/vampire film nerd and modern tactical design nerd ..... so great handling just makes it that much more tempting. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

I can keep my historical and hysterical collections in different rooms so that they don't get mad at each other. Wink Razz Razz Razz Cool

Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zombieland rule # 34:
Never go outside without your AT-TAC-307 " Zombie Slayer" Cool

I love it!!!

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Mark T

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I can't wait to see how these get customised - not only in the grips, but also scabbard options ... check out this puppy - one of Gus's earlier ATrim Tactical Longswords. Scabbard is by Dwayne Puckett at Armoralleather - a very talented craftsman ... and pretty good on the 'spooky green lightning' zombie longsword front!

Attachment: 93.05 KB
089.jpg

Attachment: 94.22 KB
094.jpg

S. Christiansen

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should get one of those...
Regards,

Sonni