Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Getting Tournement ready in th UK Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Wilkie

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Getting Tournement ready in th UK         Reply with quote

Hello myArmoury

I have a number of questions that i would like to ask about the process of getting ready and for entering tournements within the UK, I ask because myself and a couple of friends who have been training for a while now (about an hour or so just about every day solo work, and 5 hours every wednesday working with each other) have been wanting to enter tournements just really to test our skills and to see what we need to work on.

so my questions are:

1) What sort of training do you usually do as a build up to a tournement, i.e any area's of technique you work on or any physical aspect that train in preperation for a compaition ?

2) What sort of equipment is required to participate?

3) What is the etiquie when attending tournements, i have been in martial arts compatitions before and they are very formal affairs so is it anything like that ?

4) What is the best way of getting yourself in to a tournement?

5) Is there one set of rules that applys to all compatitions in the UK or is there many ?

6) where is the best place to find out about up coming tournements in the UK ?

I apologise if these seem like basic questions, i just dont want to be that guy who turns up and gets it all wrong.

Many Thanks
Mark Wilkie
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark,

Much as I feel this forum is full of valuable information and knowledgeable contributors, if you wish to get a fuller answer to your questions can I suggest asking on another forum which is specifically run by one of the larger WMA/HEMA schools in the UK - namely the Schola Gladiatoria forum:

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3

You will find plenty of equally knowledgeable people there who can guide you through all aspects of UK HEMA.

The umbrella body in the UK for WMA is the British Federation of Historic Swordplay (BFHS), whose flagship event is the Symposium on the Western Art of Swordsmanship through History (SWASH), over the weekend of the 19th/20th February at the Royal Armouries in Leeds.

BFHS website: http://www.bfhs.co.uk
SWASH website: http://www.bfhs.co.uk/Swash2011

This event is a must for anyone involved in WMA/HEMA in the UK.

Do you train with any particular WMA/HEMA organisation? What disciplines do you train in (rapier/smallsword/backsword/sabre/longsword etc. etc.)?

Julian Reynolds
BFHS Representative, Durham Chapter of the Society for the Study of Swordsmanship (SSS)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Getting Tournement ready in th UK
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic