Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Valentine eating knives - yes really! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Valentine eating knives - yes really!         Reply with quote

Hi All,

I was making a knife inspired by the one below and then got a bit carried away and I have four eating knives all with heart shaped apertures in the tang. Perfect for Valentines day!

The original knife, which I think is a little clunky, is about 1400 in date, so I have used decorative elements and forms from around this date. Our contemopraries loved themes and this often comes about through mottoes, pictorial elements and scuptural or detail elements and many examples can be seen on knives and scabbards. Here I have taken the 'heart' theme and added it to a few different knives. I did think about adding some onto the outside of the scabbard, but that ran the risk of makinng them a little over the top from a modern view, so I held back.

The top knife has horn scales and a brass lining to the heart and bronze pin work in the scales and a stamped scabbard. The scabbard is similar to many in 'Knives and Scabbards' and many knives show pin work and bolsters similar to this.
£140

The second from top has horn scales and a brass lining to the heart and brass pin work in the scales and a stamped scabbard. The scabbard is similar to many in 'Knives and Scabbards' and many knives show pin work and bolsters similar to this.
£130

The second from bottom has bone scales and heart apertures that are unlined. The scabbard is based on one from 'Knives and Scabbards' £125

The bottom knife has a brass handle of a manufacturing style similar to many 'latten' handled knives from 1250-1500. The scabbard is similar to many in 'Knives and Scabbards' £110

Shipping to UK is £6, to Europe is £9 and elsewhere is £12

I hope you like them

Tod

Attachment: 192.38 KB
DSCF5524.JPG

Attachment: 219.07 KB
DSCF5527.JPG

Attachment: 219.68 KB
Heart knives1.jpg

Attachment: 178.84 KB
DSCF5535.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are great. The top two, in particular, are wonderful.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm always happy to see folks make use of the linden motif. It's very common in medieval culture but I think there must be a modern cultural aversion to it. But, then, you could put Hello, Kitty graphics on your knives and we'd still dream about them.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Ryan A. Currier

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I absolutely LOVE these, Tod! Instantly. Most of all, the one on top.

Can I get by with calling a knife cute? They are definitely cute, whatever you were going for.

I don't know what it is about the pieces that go against the "modern manly ethos", but I really do love them. Victorians and wearing all black... I really hate muted fashion and so, perhaps, that is why I love anything that would, maybe, look a little out of place out of period. These are really cool. I'm glad you did them!

Now, if I can just find a girl, convince her she loves me and trade some flowers for one of these babies! haha

Happy early Valentine's Day everybody!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since the motif is historically associated with marriage (as well as jurisprudence), one of those would be a wonderful present for a bride or a long-suffering spouse. If you're married to a judge, so much the better. Laughing Out Loud
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark T

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
But, then, you could put Hello, Kitty graphics on your knives and we'd still dream about them.

Sean, Don't tempt him! ... or us. Big Grin

[For something waaaay off topic, Sean's post reminded me of the 'Hello Kitty' axe (guitar) featured in this video. Click at your own risk to support Welsh punk-pop comedic music!]

Back on track: I've not been a fan of the linden motif in the past - I think there's a lot in Sean's comment about a modern cultural aversion to it ... but I'm happy to say that these knives have completely cured me of my aversion. Beautiful work, Tod, as always.

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Valentine eating knives - yes really!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic