Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Yeudall Claymore Armoury.....anyone have thoughts on product Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Larry New

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Yeudall Claymore Armoury.....anyone have thoughts on product         Reply with quote

Been eyeballing his site and some of his magnificent swords. I can't find many reviews of his work/service..anyone do business with Yeudall can share thoughts?......thanks, Larry

http://www.claymore-armoury.co.uk/

Last edited by Larry New on Wed 01 Sep, 2010 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

myArmoury member Chris Artman ordered some swords from them, maybe you should pm him, here is the link with pictures of his swords:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ht=yeudall
Larry New

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the link kind sir, much appreciated..............................Larry
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They remind me of the MacAllen swords. The website also reminds me a bit of MacAllen's.
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Claymore Armoury has been discussed here before. The Search function will find a few threads.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I highly recommend against using him, based on my experience. He kept 400 pound deposit from me for two swords. We were in the very initial discussion stages and I did not come to an agreement, so he kept both deposits. He tried to say he started the blades on both which was a crock of crap. We didn't even come to an agreement. I wish I had never sent the deposit until there was enough initial discussion. I sent the deposit money prematurely on good faith.

Keep in mind he will only make dull swords and none sharp. He tries to side-step a bit on this saying it is not important and that is 'close enough' But that is a personal preference, one which I do not agree with. In any case, I wasted 400 pounds.

I've had nothing but success dealing with Arms and Armor, Ollin Swords, Christian Flectcher, Albion, etc...
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Few of the pieces look very nice,till you consider the details mentioned above,
Chris,
sounds like pretty bad service overall,
i can understand a maker saying they've done work etc,but the makers i've purchased from would rather swop your deposit to something like a high end knife or premade stock item if not able to reimburse you,any mention of that ?;
£400 is serious money,

of the better known scotish makers i've dealt with,rob at castlekeep has been above and beyond in all dealings,
the guys at armourclass have been very good,
paul macdonald has always been pleasant and informative,yet to purchase,but his hiltwork looks great,
personally,its nice to be able to go back and read old threads i'd missed and make a mental note of a maker that doesnt fit the bill,for one reason or another,as opposed to the thread being removed or lost due to awkward content,
didnt catch the thread first time around,
a bad thread about a maker only stays bad if they dont address the situation,
plenty have had issues,but its the after service etc,that can make or break the maker,
Larry New

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Chris. You own several of his pieces, correct? If so what are your opinons of the quality of work, not taking into account your bad experience.....................Larry
Stuart C

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry New wrote:
Thanks for the input Chris. You own several of his pieces, correct? If so what are your opinons of the quality of work, not taking into account your bad experience.....................Larry

Sorry to reply to a fairly old thread - actually, I don't think Chris ever acquired any of these swords (due to the problems described earlier in this thread and in the linked thread). The swords in the other thread were mine (except for the 75" lowlander which was purchased by a friend). Other than being non-sharp, the swords were pretty good (and the 75" was very cool). My only real negative comment would be that they were all heavier than specified on the website. That said, I purchased them at a point when his website didn't have any weights quoted, so I don't really have cause for complaint (and being non-sharp, I'm not really swinging them around). I'm not sure if I just got lucky in not having any real problems (and I didn't pay any advance deposits) or if Chris got unlucky.

The whole deposit issue is a bit of a thorny one as - generally speaking - deposits aren't refundable (that is kind of the point of them). However, if the decision to cancel the order was because the maker had failed to disclose something material (and I get the impression that might have been the case with Chris), I think one would expect to get a refund. Morally, I think it really depends on who is at fault for the deal not being a goer. I personally wouldn't hand over a deposit unless i had come to an agreement with the maker about what I was getting. That's just me, though.

I would certainly consider picking up another one if it came available at a sensible price on the second-hand market, but I probably wouldn't commission any new ones. That is partly because of what I have read of Chris Artman's experience and partly because I'm just not so interested in swords these days (yep, i'm fickle)..

Being pragmatic, it is probably safer to go with someone like Rob Miller who garners nothing but praise in every forum that I have ever seen.

Stu
Larry New

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Chris, much appreciated. I actually went ahead and commissioned the 75" lowlander sword and Thomas is about to ship the piece. I will post pics/review upon arrival............................Larry
Stuart C

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry New wrote:
Thanks for the input Chris, much appreciated. I actually went ahead and commissioned the 75" lowlander sword and Thomas is about to ship the piece. I will post pics/review upon arrival............................Larry

I'm not chris (my understanding is that Chris never got past the discussion and deposit stage that he described earlier in this thread). I'd be really interested to hear what you think of the 75"er when it turns up and maybe get a summary of your experience with Thomas Yeudall / Claymore armoury when all is done. Obviously, i personally had no issues (or i would not have commissioned three in a row) and my friend had absolutely no problems either with his 75" order. I have certainly never regretted purchasing any of these swords...

Stu

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Yeudall Claymore Armoury.....anyone have thoughts on product
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic