Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Buying from UK? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl W.

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Buying from UK?         Reply with quote

Twice in the last year I've seen items made in UK that I really wanted to buy, but did not as don't want any nasty surprises from either side's customs process. The makers' advice is unhelpful - its up to the buyer. Concerns are large surprise taxes or even confiscation if there are rules against (say a sword, large axe or large seax). I would not mind paying reasonable taxes if necessary (as long as I know what it could be, worst case, when I buy) but I will not take the risk of losing many $ to opaque bureacratic rules.

Any advice from experience or knowledge of customs rules? Thanks!
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've bought numerous things from overseas and have had to pay a tariff only once. England has been the easiest in my experience. Packages from there have arrived the fastest, with Czech being second fastest. The only tariff I had to pay was from Czech. If you're worried about extra fees just factor in an extra hunred bucks to the price that you keep aside until it arrives. That way you have the money if you need it and if not it's a good start for your next purchase! Fortunately we live in the USA where owning weapons is still legal in most areas. If you're concerned abou the items being confiscated you may want to check your local laws first.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had no trouble buying my crossbow from Tod and having it shipped here - in fact it arrived very quickly to my surprise.
www.addisondelisle.com
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
I've bought numerous things from overseas and have had to pay a tariff only once. England has been the easiest in my experience. Packages from there have arrived the fastest, with Czech being second fastest. The only tariff I had to pay was from Czech. If you're worried about extra fees just factor in an extra hunred bucks to the price that you keep aside until it arrives. That way you have the money if you need it and if not it's a good start for your next purchase! Fortunately we live in the USA where owning weapons is still legal in most areas. If you're concerned abou the items being confiscated you may want to check your local laws first.

I agree, Buying item overseas isn't generally a problem, certainly not from the UK or from the Czech Rep. Most of the better makers come from these countries. There are some in Poland as well. I don't have much information about getting stuff from there but I wouldn't hesitate if I saw something I wanted.

Keep in mind that we live in a globalized world! Hundreds of thousands of packages span the globe every day.

What I do watch when ordering overseas in the exchange rate, which between the pound and dollar, was terrible about two years ago, but is really good now.

So if you want something from UK- go for it! Let me put in a plug for Tod at todsstuff.co.uk Happy
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have bought dirks and sgian dubhs from a Scottish maker for some time with no duties and no hassle. The major problems I have had, and there have been few of those, involved exporting items. Not knowing what items are not acceptable to the authorities overseas can result in a call from the local postal inspector.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've received several things from the UK (and from the Continent). These items are handed off from the country's delivery system to our US Postal Service and delivered to our doors. There have been no issues and nothing has been subjected to duties, taxes, custom issues, etc.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The UK has pretty tough laws on most of this stuff, so if a UK vendor is selling it (and is credible), then you can be pretty sure it is UK legal. This means it will not be confiscated on the UK side.

If it gets out of the UK then you can be pretty sure your laws in are less strict (except as a general rule Scandinavia and Australia) so it will get through your customs OK.

As regards import duties I can't comment specifically, but a recent package I sent seemed to be due about 8% when it hit your side.

If the item is legal on both sides and it doesn't get through then insurance will cover it.

FYI I have had 2 packages in about 10 years dissappear when going to the states. 1 I know I forgot to put the customs form on, so my fault. The other just dissappeared, so basically 1 package in maybe 500 and I got insurance for that.

Personally as a buyer I would say if a seller shugs his shoulders and says 'not my problem' do you really want to deal with him?

As a guide the UK has very tough firearms laws, curved swords are restricted but not banned for sale in the UK (but not for export), conceable weapons such as belt buckle knives are banned, and exlusively offensive weapons such as gravity knives, flick knives, throwing stars and punch daggers are banned. Pretty much everything else is legal.

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Buying from UK?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic