Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > asking for help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christina B

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: asking for help         Reply with quote

I am new to this forum and am looking for any advice that you may have. I am an unpublished novelist who is looking for any kind of reference that may help. Everytime i do a search on Google or through Yahoo about swords, it comes up with the Japanese style; more espeficially aimed at the Kitana. I personally have no need for incorporating a Kitana into my stories- the series is Fantasy based. I already have knowledge of the different kinds of Forges that are used to make all the different styles of swords. Anything to help point me in the right direction; a book , a website, even an encylopedia reference would be most helpful. thanks! Big Grin
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "Features" section on this very site is a good place to start. And there are plenty of book recommendation in there for further study. Reprints and interpretations of historical fencing manuals are always good, as well as the historical works of Ewart Oakeshott.

And, of course, finding a way to handle some originals or higher end reproductions (A&A, Albion etc.) is an education in itself.

Big Grin

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Uh? What? You're already on myArmoury.com where we have a ton of information.

There are hundreds of featured articles, product reviews that are full of historical background, forum topics, posts, collection gallery pages, photos, book suggestions, book reviews, and more all right here.

One look at the home page points to all of it.

Please note that there is no such weapon as a "kitana". The word you seek is katana and it's a Japanese sword.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
D. Bell

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can recommend Harvey Withers' Encyclopedia of Swords and Sabres if you want a basic introduction to a variety of sword styles, and other weapons. The focus is on Europe but the rest of the world isn't forgotten either.

If you have an interest in any particular culture or time period I'm sure we can point you in the right direction too.

An armed society is a polite society.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > asking for help
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic