Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Personal recommendation of maroon scotch-brites Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Personal recommendation of maroon scotch-brites         Reply with quote

I like them better than the gray. They remove scratches and minor corrosion much quicker than the gray ones.

I just left my swords at the polish left by the maroon pads, which is just a tad more muted than that provided by the gray pads. I don't mind it a bit. If one wants a bit more shine they can run over the surface with a gray pad after the initial maroon pad treatment.

I'm just passing along my impressions!

Have a great day everybody!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been using the maroon/burgundy ones for a long time, too. They're much better for "cleaning up" a sword whereas the gray ones are better for "maintaining" a sword or matching a "Scotchbright" finish on an Albion/ATrim/A&A sword. Like you, I sometimes use the maroon/burgundy first and then do a final touch-up with the gray to bring it back up a bit.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So Maroon is essentially more abrasive than gray, but not as much as green?
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just remembered that I had found a Scotchbrite abrasive comparison table a while back. It can be seen here:

http://academic.evergreen.edu/projects/biophy...finish.pdf

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there a reason why people use scotch-brite over steel wool?
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan W. wrote:
Is there a reason why people use scotch-brite over steel wool?

Steel wool if not stainless steel wool can leave microscopic bits of easy to rust carbon steel in a stainless knife blade.

For a carbon steel blade this may be less of an issue but these particles may rust more easily that the blade's steel and start rust spots encouraging rust to develop.

I could be wrong about this since I'm basing this on some vague memory of having read this in the past about not using steel wool on collectable stainless steel knives ( Many or most modern customs knives use stainless ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, you are absolutely correct.

In fact you can use this information to your benefit if you're attempting to "antique" a weapon. Steel wool used in a controlled manner with the addition of a vinegar & salt misting spray can produce some very handsome results. I have also used this method to darken a wooden haft as the little steel wool bits like to stick in nooks and crannys of the wood.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
Jean, you are absolutely correct.

In fact you can use this information to your benefit if you're attempting to "antique" a weapon. Steel wool used in a controlled manner with the addition of a vinegar & salt misting spray can produce some very handsome results. I have also used this method to darken a wooden haft as the little steel wool bits like to stick in nooks and crannys of the wood.

Ah, that's something to keep in mind. Thanks, I might just try it!
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Online source for Scotch-Brite pads?         Reply with quote

Does anyone have an online supplier of Scotch-Brite pads they recommend? I recently looked in Wal-Mart and Home Depot, with no luck ...
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Online source for Scotch-Brite pads?         Reply with quote

Mark T wrote:
Does anyone have an online supplier of Scotch-Brite pads they recommend? I recently looked in Wal-Mart and Home Depot, with no luck ...

I've bought them from Amazon.com before (these links give myArmoury.com referral credit):

Scotch-Brite White pads

Scotch-Brite Light Grey pads (Recommended)

Scotch-Brite Maroon pads

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've bought them from amazon.com as well. Just remember when buying the pads like these, the price is per pad usually. You don't actually get a box of them. So if you buy online, consider buying more than one at a time due to the shipping cost.
Ken Nelson

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are looking for boxes, I would recommend Fastenal, Grainger, MSC, and Mc Master Carr. all are industrial supply companies and have a wide range of scotchbrite pads. Fastenal and Grainger often have outlet stores in many cities, and can be easier to get small orders from. Online places may include tru-grit.com and supergrit.com Both cater to knifemakers.
"Live and learn, or you don't live long" L. Long
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Primarily the discussion has been about scotchbrite usage on metal but it is also good for wood finishing. There was a question about using scotchbrite rather than steel wool which is applicable to wood finishing too. Some clear wood finishes today are water based, if one were to use steel wool one can expect the tiny bits of wire shed into the finish to rust, using fine grades of scotchbrite will prevent this from happening. I also believe that using scotchbrite when finishing eliminates some of the grunge that has a tendency to build up on fine details and reveals when "sanding" between coats.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes I also use them on wood and I'm a little skeptical about the use of steel wood on wood being a good idea even if it might be useful in darkening the wood due to wanting to give an aged finish to the wood: May work fine but my worry is in having small slivers of steel wood caught in the wood grain that might end up embedded in one's hands as metal splinters. Wink Question

This may not be an issue if it's only microscopic steel dust, and if it isn't a problem I am certainly curious to know.

By the way I don't have scotchbrite as a brand here but I'm assuming that the abrasive sponges I can find in my local hardware stores are similar since using them on my Albions for an occasional removal of minor scratches and had no problems matching the original finish: So I assume the grit size is close enough to not make a difference.

Oh, I use my abrasive pads on polearm hafts and on my walking sticks to smooth them to a fine finish then oil with boiled linseed oil or Danish teak oil: Apply, let dry, sand and repeat until one gets a nice glossy finish.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 10 Jan, 2011 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A quick diversion back to suppliers: the above supplier on Amazon seemed to get some bad feedback on postage ... for those outside the US, I found these folks on eBay: RDGTools Online (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RDGTOOLS-ON-LINE). A box of 10 grey pads is £5.50 and only £5.00 shipping internationally.
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Personal recommendation of maroon scotch-brites
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic