Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Sword from A&A Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: New Sword from A&A         Reply with quote

Arms & Armor New Sword

The A&A #236 Anglo-Saxon Sword.

A new sword to start the year! What a great idea!! A&A adds an excellent Anglo-Saxon sword to our offerings.

With the wrappings and bits of cookie lying about from Christmas, you sit and wonder what to do with the cash old aunt Edna gave you. She always does, as you are so hard to buy for, no bookstore carries the books you list and you want to get funny cloths and weapons. So turn her generosity into a great addition to your collection the A&A #236 Anglo-Saxon Sword based on the Wandsworth sword found in the Thames.

It is light and fast and has a lot of meaning to us as a great friend who has passed several years ago did the prototype for the hilt.

If your stocking did not have a swords worth of cash we still have some of the small knives left. You can check out whats available here Small Knives.

While 2010 has been a challenge for most of us, it is with great appreciation to our customers who have continued to support us, that allows a positive look forward to an improved 2011. We plan to have more things to offer and exciting pieces to explore as stock and custom items. We look forward to hearing from you and having a great year.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great Craig! Will that be the standard grip treatment for this one?
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Grips         Reply with quote

Hello Tim

Yes I think the standard on this one will be brown, but one can get black at no extra charge. Also, of course, customization is possible as well, for other options.

Best
Craig
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

That's really fascinating to see such a short blade on this type of sword. Really unique! Would the original's pommel have been made of 2 parts? Do you recall what the inlay material you mention in the description was?

This is a really intriging sword.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Pommel and inlay         Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy

Pommel would have been in two parts as most of these where. We cast the item as one to facilitate the cost labor ratio as best we can. Makes assembly and such a bit easier (if all else is going well Eek! ) as we have come to learn over the years each item has a bit of a personality and on any day no matter how smart we think we are the inanimate objects can make you pay Happy

The inlay is in iron on the blade. The blade is not pattern welded if I remember my source correctly.

Blade length is a bit of a variable on this as the blade was found in two parts and some time and distance between that two. It may well speak to the issue that it is usually quoted in the descriptions of the sword. This is often done by scholars if there maybe some variable in the mix of a pieces origin.

Best
Craig
Danny Grigg

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more pics of the original:

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/Even...p;id=37092
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisismecl/55804...otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/depercy/39239139...otostream/

I think there are a few more on Flickr, but I'm unable to find them at the moment.

Danny
Addison C. de Lisle

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a very nice looking sword, I like the blade and proportions. It's always exciting to see new products in your lineup. There is something that bothers me about this piece though; the areas in between the lobes and where the lobes meet the base of the pommel don't seem quite finished. Is it so apparent in real life, or is it just the photo? Or, on closer inspection, is it thin twisted wire? I can't quite tell.
www.addisondelisle.com
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I noticed something interesting on the historic original,

I can't see the "pins" at the base of the lower pommel which would join the pommel together. Are they just not evident due to corrosion or did all 2-part pommels of this age not have conspicuous pins? This could just be education for me on the matter but the pins usually seem rather prominant.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Sword details         Reply with quote

Hello Guys

Addison, there is an area that is difficult to clean in these areas. The light is accentuating it in these pics on this piece. We can of course detail a piece to order if needed.

Jeremy, Pins are not always evident. They can be internal or even set in the base but not all the way through the base. I have seen a variety of ways that the top cap was attached. Even evidence that glue may have been used, though this is just on example that has not been studied to a great degree.

Best
Craig

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Sword from A&A
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic