Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Celtic armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Julián Fernández

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Celtic armour         Reply with quote

Hello, myArmoury! This is my first post on here, and sadly, although I wish I could offer something, I've come simply to ask something from you.

Here in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the recreationist scene is growing steadily... there are only a few groups dedicated to recreationism, or to medieval fighting. We have a german/saxon group, a Viking/Scandinavian/Russian group, a Norman group, a Roman group, and a Scottish group. However diverse this may be, we're lacking on one culture that fascinates me, which is that of the Celts. I've decided, along with my girlfriend and a few trustworthy, responsible friends, to begin a new group, called Tuatha na Ciorcal, based around the Celtic culture of any period and place, but primarily Iron Age Irish celts.

Anyway, I'm rambling, my question was this: for my Celtic persona, I've made a round hide shield with two straps, like a targe, and an oval shield with a boss. As for armour, I know Celts most likely invented mail, but I find it hard to believe a celt would either fight unarmoured or with a mail vest, without anything in between. Specifically, I want to see if any of you know whether a celt (any period, any region) would have used leather armour, perhaps a leather breastplate, or a corselet, or a variation of the yoke-and-tube armour of Greek armies.

Thanks in advance!
Sylke Gosen

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could take a look at this thread: http://www.kelticos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=470
It contains more information then I would be able to put in a small post.
I hope it helps you Wink
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ave!

Yup, what he said, go to Kelticos and read EVERYTHING. But even there, I have a feeling you won't find much good information about Ireland. (We won't even go into the question of "Irish" versus "Celtic", ha!)

Short version for the armor, yes, a version of the Greek cuirass was indeed used at least in Gaul, but as far as I know it would have been popular about the same time it was in Greece, c. 600 to 400 or maybe 300 BC. Mail when it appears is generally shaped like the Greek cuirass, sleeveless with shoulder flaps, crotch-length to mid-thigh length.

My gut reaction is that pretty much any shield should have a single center grip. Certainly a range of shapes was known, though.

But don't listen to me! Go to Kelticos! If there is an answer, the folks there will have it.

Good luck and Vale,

Matthew
Magin Hard

PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What timeframe do you cover?

There has to be connection between Roman en Celtic armour during the Roman invasions to the west. But I think the Irish are not in that picture by the time. So armour is a hard question. Why not fight with no armour and just a shield? In the early iron age the shield was the common protection for celtic and germanic warriors. Other kind of armour might have been expensive.. however it is a hard querst because there is not many information.

Maybe if you have some results of leather armour you can post it here? I can't find any eather..

'The cruels and threachery of civilization, that is barbaric!', said the free Frisian to his son..

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Celtic armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic