Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > knives and seaxes newly added to my web page. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: knives and seaxes newly added to my web page.         Reply with quote

I finally got around to photographing some new knives and added them to my web page.
mark

Attachment: 37.72 KB
knife 14.jpg

Attachment: 32.16 KB
knife 18.jpg

Attachment: 37.85 KB
knife 15.jpg

Gaukler Medieval Wares
http://www.medievalwares.com
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

Feedback score: 100%
(2 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
They look lovely! I like the shaping of the seax, it is an under represented type that was quite common in period. They all have a very period look about them.
Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: knives and seaxes         Reply with quote

Thanks! I try to go for a medieval fit and finish, appropriate to each piece.
I'm the equivalent of a medieval Cutler on these: I commission (hardened plain carbon steel if possible) blade blanks from reliable North American smiths. The blade shapes and dimensions are based on knives in my collection, or blades in museum collections (preferably ones I've handled). I grind and polish the blades, and fit them to handles.
Most of the wood used is boxwood, as it was rated the best by the Cutler's Guild. Whittle tang handles are burnt on (boxwood takes up to a dozen heats) to the tang, and glued if needed. Scale tangs are in box, bone, and sometimes mammoth ivory, and fittings are bronze and silver. I'll be adding pewter soon, as my sheather has made some very nice openwork pewter chapes, based on one found in Meols. The pewter chapes have been cast in hand carved stone moulds.
The sheaths are based on surviving examples (including one I own) and are all hand stitched, decorated, and painted. The nicer sheaths are made for me by Judy Harcus. We usually use acrylic paints; but medieval tempers and pigments on request.

Gaukler Medieval Wares
http://www.medievalwares.com
S. Christiansen

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice pieces indeed. Simple and straight to the point, yet very well executed. I especially admire the sheaths and the fact that you do a lot of researching on each piece. Keep up the good work!

Henry Branson wrote:
Quote:
Hello,
They look lovely! I like the shaping of the seax, it is an under represented type that was quite common in period. They all have a very period look about them.
Cheers,
Hadrian

I see your link The Anglo Saxon Broken Back Seax looks like made of stone.

That's because of erosion. Happy And I don't think Henry did the link, myArmoury has a feature that automaticatically converts a word into a link to the appropriate article. You'll find many more fascinating articles under "Features" at the top of the site.

Regards,

Sonni

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > knives and seaxes newly added to my web page.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic