Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New bookcase and Display Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: New bookcase and Display         Reply with quote

I have finally finished my bookcases. It has always been a dream of mine to have a "Library" in my house. When we moved last fall I came one step closer. I also wanted to display my swords in an eye catching way that still allowed me to get them down and handle them as well as show them off. I still have some more work to do for the displays but here we go.

Attachment: 90.07 KB
Bookcase4.jpg
This is right after I finished them. (with my sons help :lol: )

Attachment: 111.22 KB
Bookcase2.jpg
Here I have the swords up and some books on the shelf

Attachment: 102.34 KB
Bookcase.jpg

Attachment: 74.66 KB
Bookcase3.jpg

Gary
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like it a lot Gary. It has a nice gentleman's study kind of look to it that I prefer. I'd like to do just this kind of thing in my house. Unfortunately the back room where I display my swords isn't quite big enough. Something like this would overpower the room. When I retire I plan to have a room with just this kind of arrangment for my toys.

Very nice, or did your son do all the work?

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's wonderful!

Funny thing is, after glancing at the first photo I had no real idea as to the scale of the piece. I had thought, at first, that your son was a figurine or something! And then once I realized he was a real person, I thought, "holy cow, that's a big shelving unit!"

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicely done.

I want to do something with shelving but I share Patrick's problem, at least somewhat. My designated area is in the loft/office. Not enough space to do anything that grand but I still have ambitions to get swords up and a harness in place someday before I retire.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Gary Venable

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Overpowering is kind of what I was going for. As I said its a big goal for me and it took a lot to get it up. The room is about 12' X 16'. When I save up enough time and wood I will make a matching desk for the room, add a couple of leather easy chairs, some track lights and get my Bosch prints on the wall and then we will be set. And Grant (my boy) is a real person he is just a real little person Laughing Out Loud
Gary
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm super-impresed with the piece. Overall, I think it's important to have that grand scale for the furniture, as it's housing some rather large swords and weapons that would otherwise look cramped. Right now, they're framed appropriately and with breathing room to fully apreciate them.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bob Reinke

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

beautiful work.
You mentioned track lights.. Have you concidered putting a light in the top of the center section inside the unit?
I think that would show off the swords in a very dramatic yet subtle way.

Bob Reinke
Order of the Northern Star
(almost formerly known as The Kings Champions)
Jeremy Scott Steimel

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny timing, condsidering I was going to make a post asking people to share how they display their collections, as mine is growing enough that I'm beginning to consider display options. Mayhaps we could get some sharing going in this thread?

As others have mentioned, I have to keep certain size constraints in mind, as while I do have a decent sized apartment, I don't have any one long open wall for something like that. I've been toying with some design ideas, but have yet to come up with something that has "hit the spot."

I was also considering using something akin to pool table lining cloth to line the inside of the case, but I'm leary as I would worry about not knowing which kind of materials to avoid (in order to avoid dyes that are prone to staining, et cetera).

Anywho! Looks absolutely fantastic, excellent job.

Take care.
-JS

Dum spiro, spero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gary Venable

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Reinke wrote:
beautiful work.
You mentioned track lights.. Have you concidered putting a light in the top of the center section inside the unit?
I think that would show off the swords in a very dramatic yet subtle way.

Yes, I am actually going to use a white LED lights that we use in hospitals. They give off the perfect amount of light and they are not to harsh. They also never wear out and produce next to no heat.

Gary
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Venable wrote:
Yes, I am actually going to use a white LED lights that we use in hospitals. They give off the perfect amount of light and they are not to harsh. They also never wear out and produce next to no heat.

I'd be interested to know where one could acquire those... short of stealing them from a hospital, of course! Big Grin
They sound like a good solution.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New bookcase and Display
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic