Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help translating Japanese Sword Signature Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gary F

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Need help translating Japanese Sword Signature         Reply with quote

I inherited a sword that my Uncle obtained while he was serving in World War II. He was in the 503rd Infantry Paratroopers, Company F and fought in the battle of the retaking of Corrigador and Luzon. I have had possession of it since the early 70's. I had a dealer look at it and they were not interested in it due to pitting of the blade and some corrosion on the tang. The signature is visable to a degree on both sides. It is hard to see but is there. The dealer estimated that the sword it self was probably 300 years old, give or take. It obviously had been in salt water which is not suprising since the battles occurred on islands. They offerred $400.00 for it, but at that price I plan on keeping it. I have many pictures of it if anyone can possibly translate what is visable.

Last edited by Gary F on Wed 08 Dec, 2010 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You have to post your photos for somebody to help you.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gary F

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
You have to post your photos for somebody to help you.

I guess you cannot just post pics. If anyone can translate them then I will send them pics via email.

Thanks.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary F wrote:
I guess you cannot just post pics. If anyone can translate them then I will send them pics via email.

Thanks.

Gary,
Nathan, in his post, included a link to our FAQ which described how to attach pics in complete detail. The instructions in there will help you. Thousands of people have successfully posted thousands of pictures. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Thu 09 Dec, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Gary F Happy

I'm a Japanese.
You can upload the photos on this forum. (guide page: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/faq.php )
And I may read if you upload the photos on this thread(forum).

For example...
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Japanese Officer' samurai sword
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

I'm interested in Medieval Arms and Armor.
But... My English is very poor ><;
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: My partial translation of mei         Reply with quote

Ushiro, I hope you forgive me but here is what I was able to translate. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong which I may well be. The characters I translated are pictured in the post on the Japanese Officer's sword and not this post in case someone raises the issue.

The following is what I was able to translate using my limited resourses and is entirely my own work:

7 10 (Mr. Kawana's character translation, YEARS OLD) ...AKIYOSHI SETTSU PROVINCE SEPTEMBER FIRST. I have checked my references and found that there was a swordsmith named Akiyoshi in Settsu province and that his most prolific year of production was around 1860. Mr. Kawana's prior translation did help as a crosscheck since his translation said the sword was made in 1849. If the blade can be authenticated then its value is around 5 points according to my reference. The really big problem is relating the character on the blade to the character in my reference guide which is not always an exact match as Mr. Kawana has shown while doing his translation.

Authenticating these blades is really a lot of trouble unless a blade has real value since it must be sent to Japan to be appraised with all the problems of import and export certificates being arranged. Further if the sword is appraised as an important sword or very importan sword then one risks not getting it back. However a sword valued at 5 points is hardly a risk for that to happen.I would contact a reputable dealer and arrange for him to have it appraised as the best course of action.

I would really like to see some close up pictures of the blade which would be quite interesting to see it is a monsteel blade or made in the traditional fashion with tamahagane steel.

To Study The Edge of History

Last edited by Harry J. Fletcher on Tue 14 Dec, 2010 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

you translation would make sense i think but still, appraising the blade would be a big plus.

i too would like to see the blade to see if it's a sunobe or not Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help translating Japanese Sword Signature
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic