Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Leckuechner DVD Available NOW! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tom Leoni
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: New Leckuechner DVD Available NOW!         Reply with quote

Freelance Academy Press is proud of be the US distributor of Agilitas TV's new series of German Martial Arts DVDs, starting with Lecküchner's Messer, which is available now.

Johannes Lecküchner was a priest living in Franconia during the 15th century. His surviving books contain a wealth of information on the German fencing style of this era. His system Although based on the Liechtenauer tradition, his system is a veritable treasure of martial instruction, ranging from bladework to disarms and wrestling techniques.

Many of these techniques can be applied with the longsword as well and give a valuable additional data-point to the standard Liechtenauer repertoire. Beside techniques for earnest fighting, Lecküchner also detailed antagonistic techniques that designed to electrify an audience at fencing events.

This DVD is a comprehensive training guide, laid out in an easy to follow manner. After introducing the history of Lecküchner, his fencing system, and the theory of this art, the DVD offers extensive description of footwork, guards and attacks.

Then, the six master-strikes follow, which are similar to those in Liechtenauer's longsword. After exploring a choice of intermediate and advanced techniques like disarms, wrestling and show techniques, the DVD is concluded by several solo exercises that build up the most relevant skills in the art.

"The Messer of Johannes Lecküchner" is a must-see for all interested in the use of medieval and Renaissance one-handed swords. Longsword fencers will also greatly benefit from this instruction: drills shown in this work can also be performed with the longsword and complement the exercises detailed in the DVD "The Longsword of Johannes Liechtenauer Part I."

Contents

Historical background
Terminology and theory
General basics like footwork, basic strikes, guards
The six "master-strikes" for the messer
Intermediate to advanced techniques
Grappling with the messer
Disarms
Solo drills and exercises

To order, please visit www.freelanceacademypress.com.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good news and I will have to order this one soon. Big Grin Cool
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it wasn't that soon but I decided that I would gift myself for Xmas a good DVD and also some books and at the same time by posting this give a little plug to Freelance Academy Press and a reminder to others about their books and DVDs.

Another way to support our small community and a little business/cash sent their way. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Also, it's in my interest to give them support as I want MORE DVDs and good books to read.

In addition to the DVD on Messers I bought:
1381 - The Peel Affinity.

The Complete Renaissance Swordsman.

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good bump Jean. I have been very happy with my German Medieval Martial Arts: Volume 1 The Poleaxe DVD purchase from the Free Lance Academy Press. It is instructional, informative, entertaining and the armour is gorgeous.

Jean, you will absolutely love 1381: The Peel Affinity. This is a book that I still pick up at least twice a week just to thumb through after having read it cover to cover several times.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes the Poleaxe DVD is very good and certainly why I'm looking forward to more DVDs dealing with a variety of subject like longsword, 1:33, sword and shield, one handed sword, rondel dagger & wrestling, rapier and even the plain wooden staff.

Don't expect all these at once, but sort of hope for the regular production of new DVDs.

And yes, another " BUMP ". Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool

Also looking forward to the books and even more the book you praise than when I ordered it last night: Sounds really worth the money and good eye candy as well as content. Happy Cool

Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had the Leckuchner DVD for a few months now. I've watched it several times and frequently consult it. I really wish more of the Agilitas line was available in English. Or I need to learn to speak German.

Honestly, this DVD is the single best value for money instructional resource for HEMA that I own.

Ottawa Swordplay
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Shackleton wrote:
I have had the Leckuchner DVD for a few months now. I've watched it several times and frequently consult it. I really wish more of the Agilitas line was available in English. Or I need to learn to speak German.

Honestly, this DVD is the single best value for money instructional resource for HEMA that I own.

Also taking one of your messer classes that are also applicable to single hander sword use certainly increased my curiosity about the techniques ...... and it was a fun extra to the 1:33 seminar. Wink Cool Thanks again for inviting me last month.

Craig is a very good teacher and I only regret that after a long day of training there wasn't energy or time to do a little free bouting. ( Craig's hospitality was also very much appreciate ...... hope I'm not making you blush too much. Wink Razz Cool )

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just got an e-mail from Freelance Academy Press confirming the order and that it has been shipped. Happy Cool

Now that is quick between order and shipping: Less than 24 hours ..... Impressive !

Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words Jean. It was my pleasure having you.

When you get the DVD, you may see how much I was inspired by it for my messer class. I have other sources, but I actually watch the relevant section of this DVD before most of my classes, just to help me clarify in my mind what I'm doing.

I'll have to get you back up here in the new year; I'm moving to a much better practice space.

Ottawa Swordplay
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words and the little bump, Jean. You might like to know that our customer service rep just got back from dropping your Christmas present to yourself off at the post office! Happy
Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Thanks for the kind words and the little bump, Jean. You might like to know that our customer service rep just got back from dropping your Christmas present to yourself off at the post office! Happy

Yes and also got the tracking information as requested. Big Grin Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just piked up the package at the post office and although it's too soon for a more extensive review just a quick skimming of the books tells me that they are well worth the price and more: The " 1381: The Peel Affinity " is as visually rich as Scott Hrouda mentioned in his post and a quick read of the text and picture captions make me certain that this is going to be one of those books that one returns to again and again to read and look at the great eye candy. I highly recommend buying it.

The second book " The Complete Renaissance Swordsman " seems very much a must have book but will need some attentive reading to get the most out of it as it goes into great detail about various fighting techniques with all the weapons one would encounter in the Renaissance: I usually do a quick read first but to really learn and apply the techniques one must practice and read attentively each technique.

I haven't yet viewed the DVD but I'm looking forward to it.

Also the customer service was first class and the shipping prompt as the whole thing from ordering to pick up at the post office took only 6 days. Big Grin Cool

The ordering process on the Web site was fast, clear and easy and I will certainly be very motivated to buy from them as soon as they publish something new. Wink Happy Cool

Very very happy with these books and I encourage everyone interested in the topics of these books to buy them. Happy

Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the great feedback, Jean.

As you can see, we managed to smooth out the shipping snags to Montreal that we had on your first order. Worried It turns out that there are many nuances and "quirks" to shipping overseas as there are countries and then some! Christian has been working hard to smooth out some of the early shopping cart hang-ups as well. I don't know if anything is ever seamless, but we sure hope to get close by the time our first anniversary roles around on March 1!

The Peel Affinity is one of those books that I can't believe more people don't know about/own. Part of the reason we so badly wanted to become distributors was to try and rectify that. If you are a 14th c geek this is really one of those books you should own.

Best wishes, and thanks again for the kind words!

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:

The Peel Affinity is one of those books that I can't believe more people don't know about/own. Part of the reason we so badly wanted to become distributors was to try and rectify that. If you are a 14th c geek this is really one of those books you should own.

!

Well if you find other gems ( books ) like this I hope you can add them to your product list as well as distributing top quality training DVDs or producing more of your own.

Oh, the DVDs like the Poleaxe one are training videos but they are also very educational giving background historical information that is of general interest even for those not wanting to actually do the activity but are interested in getting a better idea how a fight with poleaxes would look like as opposed to stage or movie fighting.

So even those not planning in taking up a Medieval martial art but are very interested in learning about it should consider buying the poleaxe DVD as it's so much more than just a training video. Wink Big Grin Cool

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Leckuechner DVD Available NOW!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic