Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A new type of trainingsword wins Dutch innovation prize Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: A new type of trainingsword wins Dutch innovation prize         Reply with quote

I just came across this news on the site of my WMA group. Maarten Kamphuis, a Dutch student, has engineered a new type of trainingsword specifically for WMA practice. It's a steel sword with rubber edges of some sort. It just won a prize for most innovative sports product in The Netherlands.

Full article: Dutch / Google Translate

When I find some images, I'll post them here.

The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl
Thomas R.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's interesting news, Sander!

Have a look here, where I've found another article: It says, the blade slides back upon thrusts. But still we are lacking a photo.

http://www.tudelft.nl/live/pagina.jsp?id=5a33...mp;lang=en

Thomas

edit: http://mblades.com seems to be his site, being under construction. Guess, we'll have simply to wait.

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is very interesting news indeed! I'd love to see exactly how he engineered the blade to slip 10cm into the hilt for thrusting safety.
...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah yes he's been to the last Dijon event I believe, sadly I missed his presentation, I wasn't there that day Sad

I think I've seen his prototypes later during the event, but I'm not sure. Seemed quite complex with a lot more of moving parts than what we're used to see on swords Wink Will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Jos Baars

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Take a look at this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Xe8-crwps

A video with some more information (in dutch Wink ) But I guess most of you are interested in pictures, moving objects and stuff like that.

It's very interesting indeed. Although I doubt it will ever be on a large scale production, therefor the price would be to high. But truly a great PR for WMA Big Grin
Thomas R.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me quote Master Obi-Wan:

"That's no sword. It's a space station!"

... this thing is kinda awesome. Eek!

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gah! No flash here. I can't watch that movie. Shame on Adobe for not providing a PPC version of flash...

I'll view it tomorrow on one of my other PCs.

The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Eek! Eek! WTF?! How cool is that! Hope they work!
Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Till J. Lodemann

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whohoho! Funny one. If they work, if they are robust enough and if they are not too expensive, this is going to be a very interesting development for Blossfechten.
Michele Hansen

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A new type of trainingsword wins Dutch innovation prize         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
I just came across this news on the site of my WMA group. Maarten Kamphuis, a Dutch student, has engineered a new type of trainingsword specifically for WMA practice. It's a steel sword with rubber edges of some sort. It just won a prize for most innovative sports product in The Netherlands.

Full article: Dutch / Google Translate

When I find some images, I'll post them here.

That is fantastic, Sander! I would love to see the images, and might purchase one for my own practice. The minute I picked up a wooden training sword, I was addicted. I go into my backyard with my Charlemagne reproduction, and shadow fight. I don't think live steel is safe with people around, but the workout with a 2.5 lb. (English System) blade is a great fitness routine.

Il est apelée de Montfort. Il est el Mond, et si est fort. Si ad grant chevalrie; Je vois et je m’ acort. Il eime le droit, et het le tort. Si avera le mestrie!
Sander Alsters

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Training sword         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I had the oppertunity to actually fight with the sword as a test. here are my thoughts!

The Looks are a bit different, I mean it looks like a sword but in my eyes not quite as a weapon. When I fought with it some parts like the pommel were still hold together by tape. Indeed there are a lot of moving parts. Especially the blade, the point part slides in the rest of the blade. There is indeed a rubber side accros the point part of the blade. the pommel and the crossguard.

It handles very well! Light weight, it weighs the same as a historic longsword. The sword is very well balanced, difficult to explain it is as if the sword knows what you want to do so it is easier to do so. The sword doesnt tilt forward. Like I said, very well balanced. With all this the version I fought with behaves very well in combat. It makes it easier to do techniques that you couldnt normally do with shinai or wood. Because they bouns on impact.

Some drawbacks? No not many. The rubber on the point part of the sword could interfere when you are in a bind with another sword. This because the material doesnt slide that well like the steel does. Although this was the case with tje version I fought with, maybe they found something for that. And maybe the price, but thats comming from a guy with no money to buy anything:-P

I hope everyone understands what I just wrote:-)

Kind regards,
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Sander. What a treat to be able to handle such a toy! When most of us spend our time attempting to recreate objects as they were hundreds of years ago, it's interesting to have a 'technological breakthrough' in the field of medieval studies.
You said the price might be a sticking point for some. Do you have any estimates as to how much they might go for to start?

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A new type of trainingsword wins Dutch innovation prize
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic