Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Angus Trim typology Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Douglas S

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Angus Trim typology         Reply with quote

Just an idle question. Has anyone bothered to put up a site showing all the sword models that Gus has made over the years?
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There have been a few archives put together. Most have been discontinued. Here is one partial archive that is kind of hit and miss as to what will come up - http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.angustrimdirect.com
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Fletcher's site over the years has shown a bulk of them, along with the Josh Hemingway All Saints pages. There are inevitably gaps even within the various working years of some of the other sites. The Archive.org routine works remarkably well but is also as often frustrating. Gus' participation at SFI willl bring up most of the sites, one way or another. I have no running list of all the old urls for those pages but have pulled them from threads mentioning a given model number. Keep in mind the numbers/models have come and gone along with updated specs. Christian's for an overall bio/typology right back to the Tinker Toy years. I would really like to find old Albion pages pre Wisconsin but have been unable to pull anything up. Dancing Giant is another but the first wave through Albion had the start well covered, along with Lee Reeves and whatever that other feller's name was. Not to forget later with the Blacksmith brothers site and countercut in England, the (don't smack me Doug) the two or three ASA versions of pages.

Gus may or may not have his own archive of specs and models. Remarkable memory even now (in reading his current thoughts on the Valiant board) and I learned what that's like a couple of years ago myself. It's all here.....ah.....somewhere.... I think Laughing Out Loud I have to admit that life has caused me to lose a lot of steam in finding all I could but there is a lot out there and I'll never get around to compiling all of it. There is a small gallery in my SFI profile pages but that as well went on hold in development.

How about a mounted Satsuma (?) katana for the memories? One of two few that got completed was posted up in a thread long ago and i...ah....thought I had a picture here somewhere.

Way before that, there had been a photoshopped picture of Gus grinding a kabbage kutter blade but thats eems to have dissapeared from my drives as well. Ken Jay (right Ken?) was an unofficial Gus museum for many years

Cheers

GC
Mark T

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's one of the All Saints models listings ... most of the URLs for each model are still live, and many still contain pics (or did last time I checked): http://web.archive.org/web/20040625084754/www...Models.htm
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this would be an interesting project, though ultimately impossible. Gus has made so many different models over the years that he can't even keep them straight. I probably currently own more of Gus' swords than any other living human, or at least I'm pretty close. But they are only a small fraction of what he's made. There was a substantial period where he made a new model almost every month, and frequently only made and sold 1 to 5 of many models.

I would estimate that he may have made as many as 500 different models. I currently own over 50 different models, and that's probably only about 1 out of every 10, or less.

It might be interesting to put together a basic grouping of ATrim sword types. Then try to provide photos of as many as possible. I could provide a decent cross section of Oakeshott types XII, XIII, XIV, XVI and XVIII. All are customized to a greater or lesser extent. But along with resources such as Christian Fletcher's galleries and some of the archive sites, that could make for interesting ogling.
Douglas S

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a 1211 type X and a 1326 type XIII. If we start posting pictures here, maybe that can form the core of an archive. Happy
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas S wrote:
I have a 1211 type X and a 1326 type XIII. If we start posting pictures here, maybe that can form the core of an archive. Happy

Ha, what mean we? Laughing Out Loud It is one thing to propose something and then actually end up with something as easy as a T-shirt. While I have about thirty hours a day to play with screens and repost my own work and files time and again, those with the real impetus might work on it instead of proposing others carry the ball. Happy

Much easier to compile those old urls and I note one or a few actually offer them up. Follow Ken over the years of participation at SFI and ad Mike Harris' collection and I imagine more examples than some may think were never more than one-offs or very small batches.

Of my two own, one was of the early pattern XIIIa and the other a one-off XIIa 1319 bought from Josh's All Saints days. Don't forget Erik Stevenson's work, Darkwood's and others using the blades in other guise. Then. ditinguish between different grind of the same numbered model and don't forget that many first sold through Albion (as with my XIIIa) and will have that old AT mark found nowhere else. S mentioned in my other post, just following Gus' musing online will show most of them in one fashion or another. The truly interested have some reading to do without third person (like me) interpretations of Gus' reasoning. In other words, a good bit of redundancy for the fast food menu diets many may crave.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 51.88 KB
blackbird.jpg
Old "Classic" model XIIIa from his first batch of them and the XIIa 1319 with an eight inch grip. Gus had something like a dozen XIIa models at that 2003 timeline

Attachment: 19.72 KB
trio.jpg
Disregard the Del Tin 5157 but shown for scale
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a photo of an early ATrim, The DD1601, a type XIX sold by Lee's Armoury.

Attachment: 37.04 KB
dd1601.jpg
DD1601
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
[Ha, what mean we? Laughing Out Loud It is one thing to propose something and then actually end up with something as easy as a T-shirt. While I have about thirty hours a day to play with screens and repost my own work and files time and again, those with the real impetus might work on it instead of proposing others carry the ball. Happy

If that's the case, then you guys owe me about $650,000 US for my troubles. Sad Razz

(literally)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few photos I already have online with Image Shack. But I have been needing a gentle nudge to actually take good pictures of my collection. Maybe this will light a fire...

ATrim Type Xa.1

ATrim Type XIIs (Top to Bottom): AT/CF "Heavy XII", AT Orig. Maker's Mark XII, current AT XII.2, current AT XII.1 with custom hilt, AT XII from Atlanta Blade Show 2006, AT1312, AT 1315, AT1315 one-off programming errors - extremely light/thin

ATrim AT1326 w/ DBK scabbard

T to B: ATrim Maker's Mark Heavy XIIIa, current AT Type XIIIa.1? or .2, along with an Albion Count

T to B: ATrim AT1404, Albion Yeoman

T to B: Albion Prince, AT Type XVI that will soon go into production
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
If that's the case, then you guys owe me about $650,000 US for my troubles. Sad Razz

(literally)

Oh boy, that's one heck of a donation drive! Poor Jean would burn up his keyboard. Wink

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Douglas S

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Douglas S wrote:

Ha, what mean we? Laughing Out Loud It is one thing to propose something and then actually end up with something as easy as a T-shirt. While I have about thirty hours a day to play with screens and repost my own work and files time and again, those with the real impetus might work on it instead of proposing others carry the ball. Happy

Easy there, Glen. As I stated, I only have two ATrims. And it appears that others are willing to help "carry the ball". Happy

I will upload my pics as soon as I can.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AT1421, a very cool Type XIII sold by All Saints. And while we are on XIII's here are some more pictures of the Makers Mark Triple Fullered XIII, AKA AT1326, one of my favorite ATrims.

I've got 10 ATrims, a fair few, but nothing in comparison to the collections of Mike Harris or Ken Jay,

Attachment: 6.71 KB
AT1421.jpg
AT1421

Attachment: 9.81 KB
at1421_1.jpg
AT1421

Attachment: 7.6 KB
AT1421B.jpg
AT1421

Attachment: 47.39 KB
XIII3.jpg
AT1326

Attachment: 88.05 KB
XIII4.jpg
AT1326
Jim S.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My beloved ATrim 1211 Type X as it appeared when I first received it. It now wears a completely different guard/pommel/grip.

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas S wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Douglas S wrote:

Easy there, Glen. As I stated, I only have two ATrims. And it appears that others are willing to help "carry the ball". Happy

I will upload my pics as soon as I can.

Hi Douglas,

I know you have been around the boards forever as well.

I store and share lots of pictures (including ATrims), as looking is almost as fun as having in hand but kind of my point. I own just two Gus swords myself. Linking archives and discussions already mentioned seems (to me) more complete than what we will see here but this can be added to another more complete file if someone cares to.

Cheers

GC.
J R Johnson

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great swords! I am really enjoying looking at all your Atrims. Wish I had one to show.
Semper Paratus
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Gus' swords and have had to pass on more than I would like due to my modest means but here's some pictures I have taken of those swords of his I have had in my possession at one time or another. mostly newer models:

a one-off type XIV that I am starting to regret trading

Current Valiant Elite XIIa.3 bastards sword

CF customized 1557

CF Prestige line Antioch (built on a single fuller version of current MM / VA Elite XII.1)

Custom XII made from a 1429 and reground/finished by Mike Harris:

munition grade AT1562 along with a VA 304s

Current Valiant Armory Elite Xa.3:

Current Valiant Armory XII.3:

Prototype for the Chimera line Austrian Great sword:

the only sword I have had that I haven't put up a picture of is the current XII.2 which Mike has already posted an excellent picture of so I thought I'd not duplicate.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom - great swords, great photos.

Here are a couple more ATrims from Olden Days

From about 10 years ago, the Tinker Line TL1506 sold at Christian Fletcher's. A type XVIIIb with a bronze pommel and Gus's early style bubinga grip.

From the Blacksmith Brothers, the DD1611, still among my favorites. One of Gus's very infrequent forays into simple compound hilts, this sword weighs just over 2 lbs., has a superb balance, and is lightning fast - the perfect bastard sword. Unfortunately, I have the only copy of this model that Gus ever made.

Attachment: 84.1 KB
tl1506.jpg
Tl1506

Attachment: 57.87 KB
tl1506as.jpg
TL1506

Attachment: 31.23 KB
dd1611fullj.jpg
DD1611

Attachment: 16.45 KB
dd1611hilt.jpg
DD1611
R.K. Williams

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An older Atrim aquired from Lee's Armoury and a 1315+.

"Vivre et laisser vivre", R.K.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few photos that I've picked up over the years -

Attachment: 85.59 KB
at1433.jpg
AT1433

Attachment: 92 KB
at1435.jpg
AT1435

Attachment: 97.65 KB