Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Period pommel of copper-alloy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ny Björn Gustafsson

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Viking Period pommel of copper-alloy         Reply with quote

Dear Forumites

I would like to ask you for some assistance. I'm currently undertaking a study of a single-found cast pommel which roughly falls within Petersen's type R. So far I have not been able to find any similar pieces in publications, Net-based museum catalogues etc, etc. Hence It would be of invaluble help if someone else here on the Forum has seen anything remotely similar. If that is the case please let me know where! This particular pommel was found on the island of Gotland, Sweden back in the 1990's

Regards

/Ny Björn
K J Seago

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: copper alloy pommel         Reply with quote

very interesting, i have never sen something with its particular, obviously trilobate pommels are common enough, but the upturned ens and the raised design, most uncommon, has a museum sen/recorded it? if not i suggest it gets seen by more than us.
just another student of an interesting subject, Happy
Ny Björn Gustafsson

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: copper alloy pommel         Reply with quote

K J Seago wrote:
very interesting, i have never sen something with its particular, obviously trilobate pommels are common enough, but the upturned ens and the raised design, most uncommon, has a museum sen/recorded it? if not i suggest it gets seen by more than us.

No need to worry! It's in the care of the National Historical Museum here in Stockholm (Inventory no. 34300), though not on display currently.

/N B
Dmitry Z~G

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about this one ?

Double-edged sword-hilt, inlaid with silver and bronze, with broken blade. In a tumulus with an axe, a spear-head cut and bent, three shield-bosses, two horse’ bits, two stirrups, a hammer, the end of a chain, a piece of a two-edged sword, &c. — Norway.

from Paul B. Du Chaillu - The Viking Age
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ny Björn, doesn't it look a lot like this one?

"Found in 1982 at Pacuiul lui Soare, a Danubian frontier fortress (now on the Bulgarian border with Roumania) near the town of Silistra.
Silistra is the location of the famous victory of Byzantine Emperor John Tzimitzes over Sviatoslav, Prince of Rus’, at Dorostolon in 971. Possibly this fine weapon was lost by a Russian or Viking leader in the course of their defeat."
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/...nscription

Nordan (www.Northan.net) have a reproduction that seems to be using a very similar pommel to your find although more pointy at the top, if you're interested in knowing what it might have looked like back in the day. This is as they say "inspired by original hilt finds and the stunning artwork on the Sølested horse collar." So not from a complete sword find but gives you an idea.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a very similar one on display in the National Museum of Denmark in Kopenhagen. I do not have the details of find place, or inventory number sorry.

Attachment: 46.41 KB
P1030055_2.jpg

Ny Björn Gustafsson

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Johan. I've seen those two - the Bulgarian/Romanian find is really interesting, more bird-like than the Gotlandic pommel. They're most definitely in the same tradition though. I've also spoken to Alban of Northan about his hilt-fittings. Apparently the pommel is based on a Russian find.

Peter: Brilliant! I'll contact the Museum for more info.

/N B

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Period pommel of copper-alloy
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic