Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Sword Line, Privateer Armoury Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Will you be purchasing one of these pieces?
Yes, right away
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Yes, as soon as I can
34%
 34%  [ 21 ]
I would love to. But...
37%
 37%  [ 23 ]
No. I'm not in the market
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
No. I am saving for a high end piece.
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 61

Ben Potter
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: New Sword Line, Privateer Armoury         Reply with quote

Privateer Armoury is my new line of semi custom affordable swords.
Here is the prototype:

Overall length: 30 inches
Weight: 1lb. 7oz.
Blade: 15N20, 25 inches long, 1/16 inch thick.
Grip: full tang, hard maple with fencer's knot.
Guard 1/8 steel
Primary node: 15 in below guard guard.
Secondary node: 1 1/2 in above guard.
Point of balance: 3 in below guard.
Pivot point: 3 in from tip.
This is a "scratched" blade and has cut a variety of materials quite well.

SOLD

This one is an example, I will be taking orders for custom versions of this sword (messer, falchion, cinquedea etc.)
My goal for this line is to keep the prices between $200-500 USD. I will still be taking commissions for high end pieces but wanted to have a line that is more affordable in these hard times. Email or PM me for more information.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot
For any other man's,
Nor that I will be ashamed
Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread
Knowing it would be steep,
And I will take the joys thereof
And the consequences reap.

Last edited by Ben Potter on Mon 15 Nov, 2010 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Ben, great idea, nice looking sword, can't wait to see more.
Éirinn go Brách
Michel Pérusse

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it is a good idea and am looking forward seeing prototypes of a messer and a cinquedea.
Ben Potter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. I have the messer blade profiled and will be working more on it tomorrow.

These are not "production" blades they are one off so if you like one buy it before it is sold. I have had a fair amount of interest in them already and they will most likely go pretty fast once I post them on my web site.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

For any other man's,
Of my work torn hands-

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I voted for " I would love too but ..... ", but more accurately it's more a question of seeing one that appeals to me of a different type than the cutlass shown in the pic: it looks real nice, it's just not in the period I'm more likely to want to buy.

But, Falchion, Messer, Cinquedea or others like Rondel daggers, polearm heads ( Early halberd maybe. Wink , Bill etc .... ).

From $200 to $500 making a snap and impulsive decision to buy is a lot more likely than in the $1000 and up price range where I have to " ration " myself to only a couple ( Or 3 Wink Razz ) a year.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to second Jean's comments as I have the exact same thoughts. I would love to see your interpretation of an early 14th century polearm or rondel dagger. Cool

My financial situation is such that a $200-$500 arms/armour purchase is a once a year, well researched event. I believe this is the case with many enthusiasts in the current economic climate. To see you offer a more basic line in this price range is very exciting. Big Grin

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that there is a huge market for a good quality Western-made blade in that price range.

I also like the design of this particular sword. I generally really like "basic" swords. After all, many original swords were basic.

I still voted "I would love to. But...", the "but" being that there are other styles of swords that are higher on my "want" list.
Ben Potter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.
My goal with this line is to make custom swords available to everyone I will be making a few to sell on the open market but my main purpose with this process was to allow me to take commissions in a much lower price range then before. I really enjoy working with customers to get them the best sword for them in their price range and always regretted having to turn someone away because I couldn't work within their budget. So, I updated my tooling and worked out some new techniques that allow me to make quality pieces at lower prices.

If you are interested (or even just curious as to what I could craft for you) please email me with the following and I will do my best to work out a design that fits your needs.

1) A sketch, picture, or description of the piece, including and special features (left handed etc)

2) Budget (don't worry about the prices listed above if you want a piece contact me and I'll let you know what I can do)

3) any questions you might have

Thanks for your continued support and help.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

For any other man's,
Of my work torn hands-

P. Cha

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh sounds neat. I bet this is right up the SBG's alley too. It maybe helpful to some examples of what's in each price range on your website once you get some pieces going tho. Also would you have an option for daggers for less then the 200 mark? If you can get some nice daggers for under 100 bucks I think there maybe a market for that.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Oh sounds neat. I bet this is right up the SBG's alley too. It maybe helpful to some examples of what's in each price range on your website once you get some pieces going tho. Also would you have an option for daggers for less then the 200 mark? If you can get some nice daggers for under 100 bucks I think there maybe a market for that.

I've been buying up daggers myself lately (starting a collection) and I think the ideal price points for good quality daggers are $100 for general use (nothing fancy) and $200 for fancy and decorated ones. For really fine quality decorated and beautiful ones then perhaps $300-$400. Anything more and you're in sword price points. I'd pay easily $300-$400 for a custom made dagger that will get my friends drooling over it. However I'm kind of weird that way... :-)
P. Cha

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
P. Cha wrote:

I've been buying up daggers myself lately (starting a collection) and I think the ideal price points for good quality daggers are $100 for general use (nothing fancy) and $200 for fancy and decorated ones. For really fine quality decorated and beautiful ones then perhaps $300-$400. Anything more and you're in sword price points. I'd pay easily $300-$400 for a custom made dagger that will get my friends drooling over it. However I'm kind of weird that way... :-)

I agree with your price points Happy . And yes I have been snagging up daggers lately as well hehe.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:
P. Cha wrote:

I agree with your price points Happy . And yes I have been snagging up daggers lately as well hehe.

Yep, I figured out that daggers are easier to transport around than swords, can be just as cool on their own, and are a lot cheaper. You can collect a lot of fine daggers for a collection cheaper than a lot of swords...and store them easier. Also people can relate to them better since most everyone knows a bit how to handle knives but they don't necessarily know how a sword is handled.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sort of agree with the dagger price point from the point of view of most sword collector's perceptions who assume that because it's shorter by half it should cost half, but this is because many have no clue how expensive custom " modern " knives can go for i.e. as much or more than most swords.

Now if we can get customs daggers at between $100 to $400 I won't complain I just hope that people appreciate what they would be getting. Wink Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally this whole thing really excites me. it would be awesome to get piece of the caliber I'm sure these are (coming from such a great maker) for a bit more than the cost of an MRL/ Valiant/ etc. The cutlass looks fantastic to me, a very fun looking piece!
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Sort of agree with the dagger price point from the point of view of most sword collector's perceptions who assume that because it's shorter by half it should cost half, but this is because many have no clue how expensive custom " modern " knives can go for i.e. as much or more than most swords.

Exactly. I have seen some pretty cool knives for several thousand dollars, but that is way out of range of anything I'd pay since it would be hard to buy something that expensive and "use it" rather than leave it in a safe for occasional viewing. I figure some price points you don't want to go to because they lead beyond simple collecting to obsessive and insane collecting. For me, I can't buy a weapon that I can never use.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
I figure some price points you don't want to go to because they lead beyond simple collecting to obsessive and insane collecting. For me, I can't buy a weapon that I can never use.

(bolded for emphasis)

Please don't use such words to judge others. I think it's quite over the top to call a person obsessive or insane simply for spending his own money in a way that he chooses to spend it. Your spending habits and limitations aren't necessarily the same as those of others. Thank goodness we have diversity.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Potter wrote:
1) A sketch, picture, or description of the piece, including and special features (left handed etc)

2) Budget (don't worry about the prices listed above if you want a piece contact me and I'll let you know what I can do)

3) any questions you might have

Thanks for your continued support and help.

Although I really like the fact that this will be essentially custom pieces, I would like to suggest that you could make a sort of guide price list, for basic items. For me personally, the price of the cutlass you posted is a very pleasant surprise. If you could make a simple Messer or Bauernwehr for a similar price, I would be interested, but I'm the type of person who likes to think about my next possible purchase for a l-o-n-g time, and I would hesitate to ask you directly for a quote, because that would be wasting your time. But if you were to post a picture of a Messer that I like, and you ask a reasonable price for it, then it may just get on my "want" list. And I guess that I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

I would also like to know a bit more about which types of weapons you can or can't (or won't) make. For instance, I've not yet seen a double edged sword from you. Or a rapier, for instance.

Bryce Felperin wrote:
For me, I can't buy a weapon that I can never use.
Personally, I hope that I never have to use a weapon. Wink
Ben Potter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the great response.

Lord willing I will have the messer done this evening and post pictures of it.

I am willing to take on most types swords, daggers, knives. At the moment I don't have a forge large enough for most ax type pole arms but spears, glaves, partisans, etc. are fine. I have made double edged pieces in the past but haven't posted them on my site.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

For any other man's,
Of my work torn hands-

Ben Potter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Promised here is a messer version:

Weight: 14oz
Length overall: 30 in. Blade: 24
Blade: 15N20 steel 1/16 in thiick
Guard: 1/8 in steel
Grips: red oak.

$275 +shipping

Ben Potter Bladesmith

For any other man's,
Of my work torn hands-

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that is very nice. And for $275.00! I'm very impressed with that Messer.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Sword Line, Privateer Armoury
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: