Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Armour Class Basket Hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher E.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Armour Class Basket Hilt         Reply with quote

About a year ago I contacted lain with Armour Class Swords in the UK to order an acid etched basket hilted broadsword. I'd wanted one fo about 8-years and finally got one under commission. I just received notice from lain that it's now in the post and on its way across the pond to me. I don't have any stats yet but he did take a couple of rough pics to show me the completed basket which I've attached below. When I get it I'll take some measurements and post my impressions, but here's something to chew on in the interim.

Jack W. Englund

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW, that IMO is a BEAUTY. Look forward to pics of the "completed Sword
Jack
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
That`s realy nice! Now I want one:-)Did it take them, very much longer, to etch it,like that?And did they want your other leg:-)

Regards
Christopher E.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello
That`s realy nice! Now I want one:-)Did it take them, very much longer, to etch it,like that?And did they want your other leg:-)

Regards

It took the normal time I understand AC takes...promise a 6-month time frame and deliver a finished product at 12-months (which is exactly what I anticipated so it didn't breach my expectations). The cost was just as quoted on their web site for a sharp acid etched basket hilted broadsword, though lain told me that they significantly changed the pattern and process for doing this basket versus how they had done them in the past. I get the impression that not a lot of folks order the acid etched baskets... anyway, I have nothing but good things about AC so far. I'll do a little write up once I get the actual sword in hand and provide some additional pics.
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one of the "old" acid etched swords and the primary difference is that the etching is incised rather than in relief as the new ones are. Mine is also blacked in the design etched out so it is rather attractive. I think the incised is probably a little more authentic if the idea is that the carving is supposed to be inletted with brass, silver or gold. Nontheless, this is a very attractive sword and good to know Ian is changing things up a bit. Nice piece!!
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher E. wrote:

It took the normal time I understand AC takes...promise a 6-month time frame and deliver a finished product at 12-months (which is exactly what I anticipated so it didn't breach my expectations).

I'm afraid I laughed unreasonably loudly at that description. It does hit the nail on the head perfectly... Armourclass does operate in a somewhat unique spacetime continium.... but I would'nt have them any other way, and I wouldn't swap their workmanship for anyone else's.

That peice is absolutely gorgeous - and scots basket hilts really arent my "thing" and I'd still want it...

superb.
Christopher E.

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After receiving it I have two main observations...

1. The basket is awesome and exceeds my expectations; and

2. The blade is not to my liking. It is rather petite, narrowing to near rapier dimensions for the last 1/3 of the blade. It's also very whippy with LOTS of flex.

I'm sending it off to John Lundemo next week to fashion and mount a new blade for me with broader dimensions and greater stiffness...then it'll be perfect!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher,

Your observations on the blade reflect my own concerning an Armor Class Basket Hilt I owned some years ago. The basket is very nice and will be complimented by a nice Lundemo blade, good decision.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher E. wrote:
After receiving it I have two main observations...

1. The basket is awesome and exceeds my expectations; and

2. The blade is not to my liking. It is rather petite, narrowing to near rapier dimensions for the last 1/3 of the blade. It's also very whippy with LOTS of flex.

I'm sending it off to John Lundemo next week to fashion and mount a new blade for me with broader dimensions and greater stiffness...then it'll be perfect!

That describes my feelings entirely, Christopher. They have the ability to make a blade to spec, but I haven't seen it that often. I believe their standard blades are more for reenactors and "fencers". I believe this is one of the reasons it's so flexible. They don't really represent historical styles too well, in my opinion.

That hilt, however, looks marvelous.

Is John Lundemo still taking on commissions? I have been told that he's posted on SFI about not doing custom work going forward. I hope this isn't true and that he's still available to us as a maker!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Christopher E.

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure if John's taking on new commissions as a general rule but he agreed to make this one for me. He's a great sword smith...I hope he never completely stops.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John had some health issues, but he's getting better as far as I know...
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well thanks folks. Yes I am getting much better and the shoulder is just about all healed, feels much better than it did before the opperation. I have 8 sword blades just about ready for heat treat which I love doing:) I am taking commissions so please feel free to call or email. This basket is going to be fun, really enjoy mounting my blades to fancy Baskets and getting them to perform like they should. Just throwing any broadsword blade onto a basket is iffy, a custom blade made for it specifically would be the way to go IMO

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Armour Class Basket Hilt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic