Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > No Longer Accepting Commissions - For Awhile, Anyway Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: No Longer Accepting Commissions - For Awhile, Anyway         Reply with quote

Hello All,
The title says it all. The problem is that I have a four year work queue at the moment, and I'm discovering that as the time comes around to do someone's sword, they have changed their minds, or they don't have any money, or they just don't want to have a sword made this year (maybe they'll feel like it next year).

This doesn't mean that I'm not going to accept orders in the future. When I'm finished with all of the people/swords currently in the queue, I'll open things up for new orders. So this means that in four years I'll be accepting commissions again.

Those of you who are signed up for a hilt /sword every year ( and you know who you are) are not effected by this notice. You are on my list for a sword every year until you opt out.

Thanks for being understanding! --ElJay
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Errrg, and I really wanted one of your pointy things...well, if I start saving now, in four years I may have enough! Good news! Halting orders is far better than letting it pile so high that you can't fulfill, because then no one is happy. Good luck!
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a very good position to take ElJay, and good from a professionalism viewpoint too; even though it might seem hard on your fans, it is better for everybody in the long run.

Due to most of my work now being in the film industry, and not being able to get much work done for my own clients, I faced the same decision three years ago and don't regret it at all. I was continually embarrassed about not being able to satisfy my clients' needs, and very uncomfortable about putting people on a waiting list that was growing rather than shortening, so I halted new orders too. People change their minds or disappear with me too; my solution is to only pin down their commission details when I know I can do the work, and only take money when I see completion approaching; one of the worst things for me was holding somebody's money when I had no idea of when I could complete their commission, knowing that they might have other uses for that money in the mean time.

I love see new examples of your work appear here, all your swords are superb.

Still hammering away
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While this is unfortunate news to the sword-buying public, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Take your time, get caught up, maybe even take a break or two. Your work is definitely worth waiting for!

Also sadly -- with you, Donnie Shearer, and Erik Stevenson out of the picture, and Vince Evans not taking new commissions either (he still makes swords, and might occasionally make a complex-hilt sword, but no longer on request), who does the desperate basket-case turn to for medication...? Now, I'm all basketed-out myself at the moment, but who does the newbie basket-head turn to in order to enable their addiction? AFAIK Armour Class is probably the top option, and not a bad one... Patrick Barta makes some nice continental basket-hilts and a gorgeous schiavona, think he'll take on an English or Scottish basket hilt? Anybody got any suggestions?

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
English or Scottish basket hilt? Anybody got any suggestions?

Custom work from Arms & Armor or Darkwood Armory come to the top of my mind.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two Scots:

http://www.castlekeep.co.uk/pagex.asp?bioid=5394

http://www.historicalfencing.org/Macdonaldarmory/work.htm
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, this doesn't effect any basketheads needing a fix, because anyone commissioning a basket would have had a four year wait anyway! When I open things up in four years, it'll be first come first serve.

I will accept names from people who want to jump in if someone cancels a project. I've already got one person on this list.

--ElJay
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
Actually, this doesn't effect any basketheads needing a fix, because anyone commissioning a basket would have had a four year wait anyway! When I open things up in four years, it'll be first come first serve.

I will accept names from people who want to jump in if someone cancels a project. I've already got one person on this list.

--ElJay

Ah yes, you've got a point there (pardon the pun). No need to panic, then (and I'm not even in the market for a new hilt...)!

A basket-hilt jones is a serious matter... really, I can stop any time I want.... Laughing Out Loud

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your continued professionalism and exceptional work! (and I'm so VERY happy to have gotten in just under the wire!)
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > No Longer Accepting Commissions - For Awhile, Anyway
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic