Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New movie - Agincourt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J Anstey

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: New movie - Agincourt         Reply with quote

HI all

Just read that Michael Mann will be making a movie based on Bernard Cornwell's book Agincourt! I really enjoyed the book and whilst reading it I thought that it would translate to screen well - obviously a film studio did as well.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18591/michae...n-your-ass

Cheers

Jason
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Wed 27 Oct, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: agincourt         Reply with quote

OMG Awesome! I'v been looking forward to this movie for a long time now Big Grin It'll be interesting how it will turn out...just hope he does his research and throws in some historical accurate arms and armour for us history buffs Wink
Harry Lindfors

PostPosted: Wed 27 Oct, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh wow! This could be good! Michael Mann is a director who always goes to great detail in all his movies. His historical films, such as The last of the mohicans and Public enemies really shine in historical accuracy, and his modern tales are usually far above the norm in such things as weapons handling and tactics. I'm reaaally looking forward to this. The book was excellent, and with Mann directing, so could be the film.
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"The Last of the Mohicans" is one of my all-time favorites. It'll be intersting what Mann does with "young Hook."
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 27 Oct, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It will also be interesting to see how Mann handles Henry V, a much more complex man than Shakespeare's boy scout. To paraphrase Desmond Seward (not a fan of Henry) his contemporaries admired and feared him, but didn't much like him
Moses Jones

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hopefully his Sword fighting scenes will be as good as his gun fighting scenes.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good news! Cornwell's books are great. Although I have not read Agincourt I'm sure it fantastic.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not really sure that the article in question implies the movie is being made...only that its being considered. Sounds like it still has a long way to go to get from discussion to screen.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Fri 29 Oct, 2010 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
J Anstey

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
ot really sure that the article in question implies the movie is being made...only that its being considered. Sounds like it still has a long way to go to get from discussion to screen.

It was newsworthy enough to put of the highly respected cinema website Dark Horizons so I thought is newsworthy enough to post here...
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually the article said Michael Mann was planning on doing this project, it hasn't gone into production yet. A lot of movies get planned, some of the major hurdles on the road to a movie are 1) getting funding to start production, 2) getting the cast to all be available at the same time, 3) getting distribution from a studio and 4) getting marketing budget for it. It's a long way yet from getting in theaters. What they do have is a director interested in the project and maybe some funding for it. They still need a cast, studio and distributor before it will ever see the light of day.
Dustin Faulkner

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: I hope the fighting will be realistic         Reply with quote

I sincerely hope the fighting will be realistic. Perhaps someone can let Michael Mann know about folks like Hugh Knight (right there in California), John Clements, and Christian Tobler.
DUSTIN FAULKNER
Mrak E.Smith

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking forward to the historical accurate armoured fighting! New Robin Hood is somehow a little disappointing.
J Anstey

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't want to say I told you so but... Big Grin

"Production company Independent confirms that Michael Mann will direct “Agincourt”. “RKO 281” director Benjamin Ross is currently re-writing the script and the eventual shoot will likely take place in France and the United Kingdom…"
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! YES! Christmas comes early this year! Big Grin

I read it earlier this spring and it's one of the best books I've read. I was actually hoping they'd make a movie out of it.

Next on my wish-list would be for a TV series based on the Uthred books. Too bad certain actors are tied up in other series right now...

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Last edited by Johan Gemvik on Tue 17 May, 2011 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I hope the fighting will be realistic         Reply with quote

Dustin Faulkner wrote:
I sincerely hope the fighting will be realistic. Perhaps someone can let Michael Mann know about folks like Hugh Knight (right there in California), John Clements, and Christian Tobler.

Hasn't Clements mostly centered on unarmoured duel combat as depicted in fencing manuals? Not much of that in the Agincourt book, though there could be some scenes where it could apply. Knight and Tobler may be better suited to Cornwells idea of combat though. Armoured fightng with shortened lances, heavy maces and swords striking mostly directly at armoured heads, closed Visors and body giving mostly blunt concussive damage and some armour penetration (the shortened lances mostly) and some serious armour penetration from lances from horseback, warbow arrows, crossbow and springonel bolts and such. And one spectacular archer with a heavy pick. A fair amount of grappling too, though Cornwell doesn't go into much detail about it except for someone being said to be wrestled or knocked to the ground.
There's a good armoured steel group in France that fits the bill nicely, with their own top end armour suitable for the time and so would some SCA knights, especially as most is concussive fighting. For warbow troops, I sure hope they bring in the guys from the Warbow society.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Last edited by Johan Gemvik on Tue 17 May, 2011 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
For warbow troops, I sure hope they bring in the guys from the Warbow society.

We're working on it. Big Grin
Ryan J. Kadwell

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is so weird. Just finished reading it a few days ago after having thought I left it on a plane inbound from Singapura at a time when I was only like twenty pages from finishing it. It was thoroughly engrossing it, and if made a movie I sincerely hope that it is every bit as graphic and realistic as the book achieves.
Geoffrey: You fool! As if it matters how a man falls down!

Richard: When the fall’s all that’s left, it matters a great deal.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Anstey wrote:
I don't want to say I told you so but... Big Grin

"Production company Independent confirms that Michael Mann will direct “Agincourt”. “RKO 281” director Benjamin Ross is currently re-writing the script and the eventual shoot will likely take place in France and the United Kingdom…"

Ah, so they have a writer busy on a re-write. That means the producer, director or money backers didn't like the first script but like the idea enough to fund a new script. Usually a good thing. Selecting locations also means they have a budget or they wouldn't bother. Good to see this project is evolving.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New movie - Agincourt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic