Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Want to Start Collecting Armour! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Irene Philips

PostPosted: Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Want to Start Collecting Armour!         Reply with quote

Howdy ho, everyone! I'm Irene and I'm a newbie to the forums. I've been an avid sword collector for the past 10 years, but I've been wanting to ease again from weaponry and look into collecting all types of Armour. I'm not expecting to get anything as majestic as an original helmet from way back when, but a replica would be superb!

Either way, I'm super happy to be amongst history fanatics like myself. You guys are what keeps me going! I hope to meet you all and I hope to learn about where I can see and/or collect some of these amazing pieces. Take care, everyone!

Madame Irene
mittlerbros.com
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We're all glad to hear that!
I think when it comes to authentic pieces, most members can't claim to own an authentic medieval helm of any sort (and those who do are always the subjects of extreme jealousy). The entirety of my kit is all reproduction, and if I had an authentic piece, wearing it is the last thing I would ever do! No, if you do get that lucky one day, keep it nice and safe and away from sharp objects. Treat it like your grandmother; deserving of love and respect, but probably not your first pick for a game of rugby, no matter how spry she might have been back in the day.
Anyhow, do you have a specific period you want to focus on? I love them all, but collecting is a time consuming process, and most people with multiple kits have put a lot of time and energy into assembling them. They, too, have my undying envy. But even if you can't pick a favorite time or place, you might want to settle just so your collecting has some cohesion. It will be all the more impressive that way when it starts to come together so you don't wind up wearing a pig-faced bascinet with your lorica segmentata.
Good luck, welcome, and happy collecting!

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"

Last edited by Quinn W. on Thu 28 Oct, 2010 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Irene,

If you have not already done so, click on the "Links" button at the very top of the screen (above the "myArmoury.com: A Resource for Historic Arms and Armour Collectors" logo). There is an excellent list of modern day armourers and links to their webpages where you can browse their reproductions.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Want to Start Collecting Armour!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic