Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where to find a quality Gladiator helm at a good price? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Where to find a quality Gladiator helm at a good price?         Reply with quote

Hi folks

Hope my question doesn't sound wierd. This is just a casual request for assistance at this moment in time - seeing what's out there so to speak.

At some point in the future, I am seeking to obtain two different styles of, authentic looking Roman Gladiator helmets, ideally in bronze or brass, but am not wanting the cheap, mass-produced, items. However, my budget does not run to the GBP£750 or USD1,000 mark which I know you can pay for high-quality, brandnew, items in this catagory from skilled armourers.

My question is: "are there any manufacturers out there making such items in the GBP£300-GBP$400 mid pricerange in bronze, brass or steel which would stand up to live-steel combat and still look authentic, with good attention to detail?"

Or alternatively, anybody wish to sell a secondhand (but well maintained), high quality, gladiator helm in the above pricerange?

Many thanks in advance for any/all help Happy

Regards
Stuart
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't know if these match the quality/price window you are looking for but maybe they do ?

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...tor+Helmet

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...tor+Helmet

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.armorymarek.com/romer--celtic--greeg

I have never bought anything from him, but I have read good things about him in this forum.
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Gladiator helmet.         Reply with quote

Many thanks Jean and Antonio for your kind help, very much appreciated Happy

Jean, sorry if I sound like a whinger but - the Deepeeka Gladiator helmet build quality worries me a little. Take a look at the crest on that KoA helmet, where it joins the helm basin, I can see somewhat of a gap at the front, which could easily be caught be a sword edge. Also, for what little its worth their description of the featured helmet is wrong - its a Myrmillo style of helmet not a Thracian. However on the plus side, the prices are incredibly good!

Antonio, the Gladiator helmets from Marek Armoury are truly beautiful, look very well made and exactly what I am looking to buy. However, when I contacted them to enquire on prices, they quoted me EUR850 for such a helmet which is way more than my budget will allow unfortunately.

Ideally, I can afford to spend GBP£300 on such a helmet and would not be adverse to a secondhand (well maintained) helmet of Marek Armoury quality if I could find one.

Many thanks again in any case for your imput.

Regards
Stuart
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Gladiator helmet.         Reply with quote

Stuart Quayle wrote:
Many thanks Jean and Antonio for your kind help, very much appreciated Happy

Jean, sorry if I sound like a whinger but - the Deepeeka Gladiator helmet build quality worries me a little. Take a look at the crest on that KoA helmet, where it joins the helm basin, I can see somewhat of a gap at the front, which could easily be caught be a sword edge. Also, for what little its worth their description of the featured helmet is wrong - its a Myrmillo style of helmet not a Thracian. However on the plus side, the prices are incredibly good!

Regards
Stuart

No problem and I took no offence at all, it was just the only one I could easily find and yes it does look a bit questionable as to quality and ruggedness: I wasn't really recommending it but it is " cheap " in price and might be O.K. for costume use but not solid enough to take any hits in live steel combat.

The helms and armour on the site shown by Antonio do look much higher end but as you said more expensive than you can afford.

If GDFB made a gladiator helm it might not be at living history levels of quality but it would probably be 14 gauge and overbuilt enough for heavy usage ? But I don't think they do make one ?

EDITED: GDFB found two, #1 scroll down it's half way down the page, Secutor " Herculaneum " helmet.
http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/acatalog...-LARP.html

Another one, #2 again scroll down to see it, in brass: Thraex Gladiator helmet.
http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/acatalog/Miscalanious.html

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Gladiator helmets.         Reply with quote

Many thanks for the link Jean.

Not too sure about the overall shape of the Secutor helmet, but the brass Thraex helm sure looks nice! Cool

Keep um coming please. There must be other manufacturers of Gladiator equipment out there somewhere Big Grin

Regards
Stuart
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've owned some Deepeeka helmets, including one of their gladiator pieces... Because of the advanced construction of the gladiator helmet, which included double-hinged visor pieces and the welded crest and neck guard, it turned out to be of a lower quality than I'd have expected from them. I would not buy another one.

-Gregory
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Gladiator helmets         Reply with quote

Many thanks for your imput Gregory, duly noted Wink
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My pleasure, always happy to toss in my opinion when it is relevant! Might I suggest Armour & Castings? They do custom work, and take on orders of all sorts, specializing in casting and individual armor components, such as helmets and gauntlets. They have a couple of reviews here on myArmoury, and have a current thread in the Makes & Manufacturer's forum. I've ordered a bascinet from them, some time ago, in fact... And the quality and fit of the work was outstanding for the price. With your estimated price range, I believe they could probably satisfy you with their service and product beyond your aspirations for what you'd end up paying.

-Gregory
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is an Italian armourer.

I have the feeling that he will be expensive, but you lose nothing by asking (beware his English is awful).

http://www.hephestus.net/elmi.htm
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Wed 27 Oct, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Gladiator helmets         Reply with quote

Gregory - thanks for the reminder about Bethan at Armour and Castings, I have seen some of his work on-line and it certainly looks impressive! Will keep him in mind for a custom order.

Antonio, many thanks for the link to Hephestus, I really like the look of his Secutor, Provocator and Myrmillone helmets, they certainly look sturdy and well built, but have all the detail i am looking for. Hehe, just have to see what his prices are like and if needs be will find someone who can translate Laughing Out Loud

Cheers for all the kind assistance Cool

Regards
Stuart

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where to find a quality Gladiator helm at a good price?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic