Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jack Stains Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Jack Stains         Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently received my jack and jackchains that I had waited so long for, so I attached the chains to the jack and tried it out for a while. After I took the chains off there were some small rust stains on the arms, a large rust stain on the shoulder, and also what appeared to be grease stains all the way down the arms. I'd like to remove them if possible but I don't want to ruin or discolor my jack by cleaning them off the wrong way. So I decided to ask the myArmoury community if they have had any experience in this area, and how they removed their stains

Washing and dry cleaning are not options since on the label it reads "Dry clean only without leather" (since it has 16 leather laces and leather around the neck thats out of the question).

In case it helps its a GDFB "Gambeson for Jack Chains" (it's really a jack... Eek! ).

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oxyclean.

Or...

Stains look cool.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Stains look cool.

Robert, my personal preference is "stains look cool" as I'm taking my kit in the "well used but lovingly cared for" direction . If you wish to have a pristine looking kit then by all means use Oxyclean and scrub by hand.

I've found that armour I've received from most makers comes with a nice coating of oil/grease to keep rust off during storage and shipping. Rather than strip off all the protection, I wipe it down with an old towel until most of the coating is removed. You could strip off all the coating and apply a product like Renwax that won't transfer as readily to your fabrics.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a similar problem, but decided to go with the "used" look, too.

Well: the reddish leather used at the rimms of my gambeson discolors when sweating and stains the gambesons arms... That's quite annoying, because it also stains my undercloth. I always look like a slaughtered swine after I pull off the jacket. At one time spectators were afraid, I had been hit serverely in the armpit, due to that effect... Cool

I'm afraid, if I try to wash my gamebeson, the leather would stain the whole thing!

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas R. wrote:

I'm afraid, if I try to wash my gamebeson, the leather would stain the whole thing!

But then you could have the "Scavenged from a body that had lain in a pool of blood for the duration of the battle" look. Razz

I guess i'll try oxyclean and if it keeps happening go for the "used" look.

Thanks for your help guys. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well painting the back of plate armour with rust resistant paint might help with some " staining " as the rear of the plate in contact with the arming clothes wouldn't need to be oiled but I'm afraid that any light or natural fibre colour gambison will always look a little wear darkened or dirty scuff marks.

A dark grey or black gambison hides dirt better than a white one. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Embrace the dirt with pride and talk a lot about period look that took a lot of effort to get and how hard it was trying to get the annoying clean look to go away. Wink Razz

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The back of my chains are painted, it seems thin in some areas tho, I have considered re-painting them but have other maintenance stuff to do first.

I guess i'll learn to accept the stains like I accept the scratches and nicks in my metal equipment. Happy

David Teague

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
A dark grey or black gambison hides dirt better than a white one. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Wrong, that is a modern misconception.

Period jacks were made with linen.

Linen doesn't take colors well and would fade quickly in the sun unless the dye was set with a proper mordant .

In it's natural or white color, linen sun bleaches discolorations out rather quickly.

I took a sword point in the upper lip years ago and bled profusely over the front of my then new white linen jack. With in a few events the large blood stains were gone, bleached out by the action of the sun.

The GDFB garment is made with a cotton shell so it will retain stains.

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you might be thinking of the wrong GDFB garment David, the one I have is listed as having a canvas shell, and it feels like canvas too.

And hopefully my jack reacts that way to blood, i've been worried about a bleeding hand staining the sleeve of my jack. (hand gashes are a regular occurance in my random duels with my friend)

David Teague

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Hinds wrote:
I think you might be thinking of the wrong GDFB garment David, the one I have is listed as having a canvas shell, and it feels like canvas too.

Canvas is a weave, cotton is a fiber. You weave fibers...

Wink

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

............................................................hehe...yea...I...I knew that...

I'm not up to date on my fabric knowledge...thanks for enlightening me. Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jack Stains
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic