Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Trying to Find The Name of a Weapon Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Earl Coe

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Trying to Find The Name of a Weapon         Reply with quote

Hopefully someone here can help with this.

Years ago I saw a weapon at a flea market booth. It was a large, flat club-like weapon with blades down the length. The person at the booth said that he thought it was a Chinese weapon. I've been trying to find one lately, but it's difficult not knowing the name or even definite origin of the weapon.

The best description I can come up with is a 5-6 foot macuahuitl with a single, continuous blade down each side.
James Anderson III

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find The Name of a Weapon         Reply with quote

Earl Coe wrote:
Hopefully someone here can help with this.

Years ago I saw a weapon at a flea market booth. It was a large, flat club-like weapon with blades down the length. The person at the booth said that he thought it was a Chinese weapon. I've been trying to find one lately, but it's difficult not knowing the name or even definite origin of the weapon.

The best description I can come up with is a 5-6 foot macuahuitl with a single, continuous blade down each side.

It's not exactly the same thing, but the closest one I know of is a kanabo. It's from Japan, roughly the same size, but studded instead of blades.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/elperl...abool0.jpg

I have not seen any weapons like that in any of my japanese weapon info, and I can't picture it as a practical battlefield weapon there, but I don't know much at all about chinese weapons, armor, or combat. Hopefully that gives you somewhat of a start.

Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find The Name of a Weapon         Reply with quote

James Anderson III wrote:
[
I have not seen any weapons like that in any of my japanese weapon info, and I can't picture it as a practical battlefield weapon there, but I don't know much at all about chinese weapons, armor, or combat. Hopefully that gives you somewhat of a start.

The Chinese seem to have been very inventive and made large numbers of weird and exotic weapons so just about anything is possible but was it a popular or well known enough weapon to have a name ? If it was just a one-off variant of something like the Japanese weapon or just one person's invented weapon ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find The Name of a Weapon         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
James Anderson III wrote:
[

The Chinese seem to have been very inventive and made large numbers of weird and exotic weapons so just about anything is possible but was it a popular or well known enough weapon to have a name ? If it was just a one-off variant of something like the Japanese weapon or just one person's invented weapon ?

Try some of the stuff the Indians came up with as weapons...now those guys had imagination!
Frances Perry
Industry Professional

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about this Peruvian war club depicted here:

http://webprojects.prm.ox.ac.uk/arms-and-armo...923.88.10/

Or a shark-tooth sword from Polynesia:

Whilst neither are identical to your description, they may uncover directions for you to look in?

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Earl Coe

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I've looked into the suggestions here to no avail. I suppose it'll just have to remain a mystery to me...
R Nichols

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try looking at pictures of an Aztec weapon called a Macuahuitl.

Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find The Name of a Weapon         Reply with quote

Earl Coe wrote:
Years ago I saw a weapon at a flea market booth. It was a large, flat club-like weapon with blades down the length. The person at the booth said that he thought it was a Chinese weapon.

The closest Chinese weapon I know of might be a double-edged spear/polearm. Some to be seen in Ancient Chinese weapons: a martial artist's guide, Yang, Jwing-Ming. E. T. Werner's book, Chinese Weapons, briefly discusses such weapons, so they're not just a modern martial arts fantasy weapon.

From Werner (pg 15): "The blade of the usual type of chien was two and a-half tenths of a foot between the two edges. The two sides of the back were of one-half this dimension. The back decreased in size rapidly towards the two edges of the blade; from the middle, it was divided into two ledges or grooves the width of the blade. The handle, which was twice the length of the blade, was of wood, had the blade to the extent of one-third of its length inserted in it. The head portion was rounded for this purpose."

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
R Nichols

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oops, sorry, I didn't read the original post closely enough. Obviously you know of the macuahuitl, and that's not the weapon you're looking for.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Trying to Find The Name of a Weapon
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic