Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My First Burridge Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: My First Burridge         Reply with quote

I've been into swords for a while, and one of my main interests have been the swords of the ancient world -- mainly the swords of Roman-era europe, but also Greece, and earlier, especially the swords of Egypt and the Levant (or "Holy Land"). I guess my main influences are Sunday School and "Sword and Sandal" movies. Anyway, as a natural result, swords from the bronze era are part of my "thing".

Problem is, bronze swords are hard-to-find. Okay, if you cruise eBay, you can find tons of "bronze swords", supposedly "antiques" from China (Yeah, right). But few people made actual bronze swords. I did find a couple nice-looking ones made by Del Tin. Now, DT swords are criticized as being too heavy, and often they can be, but mostly they come in on the historic scale of weights, albeit on the heavy side. Not so DT's bronze swords; these are quite heavy, at about 3.5 lbs (for swords with roughly 20-inch blades, that is ridiculous). Now, maybe you think "hey, maybe original bronze swords were made a little extra heavy to make up for the" WRONG! Real bronze swords were not large and heavy. Really, they weren't. Another sword I purchased, by Kris Cutlery, was a good-looking version of a Naue II, with fullers that may be ahistorical (good looking, but probably not right), at about 2.5 lbs it's still a bit overweight but it handles much better than the DT's. However it was actually made of BRASS, not of bronze, and so is about as soft as a cold stick of butter.

The "sickle sword" or Khopesh of the near Middle East has long been a favorite of mine, and my pursuit of this sword has not been without it's pitfalls. I did get a Canaanite-style khopesh from Manning Imperial, and I was content for a time. At about 2.5 lbs it handled better than the DT swords, even though it was still a bit heavy, but I didn't mind. What did I know, besides, no one made a better one. Then there are several non-bronze khopesh "pretenders", including the offerings of that esteemed sword manufacturer, Deepeeka (the sarcasm doesn't come through well on-line, does it...). Yes, perfect, if you want an overly large, grossly obese, steel copy of a bronze sword.

Then, I start hearing about this guy in the UK. His name is Neil Burridge. Folks I trust say good things about him. Very good things. I check out his website, his stuff looks good. I'll have to purchase something from him. Someday.

Then he comes out with a Khopesh. A Canaanite-style khopesh. Nice, I say to myself. But it doesn't quite float my boat, or drive my chariot, or whatever.

Then he comes out with his "Basic" Egyptian Khopesh.

I HAD to have one. So I planned on it... you know, plans are great things. They tend to get moved aside, for other plans. And so it was.

Until a month ago, I bit the bullet. Ordered a "Basic" khopesh from Neil. It arrived this last Saturday.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything everyone has said was right -- but you won't know the half of it until you handle one of Mr. Burridge's swords first hand.

The "Basic" khopesh (Basic my chariot wheel...) is deceptively diminutive. Sleek, even "dainty" if you dare to call it that. Until you lift it; This little sword demands to cut. And although light in weight, it does not feel "dainty" at all, but rather lean and fast. Now to find a Canaanite or Hittite to try it out on....

Anyway, I am one very VERY happy customer, and this will certainly not be my last Burridge bronze. If you want a bronze sword, do not hesitate, go now and contact Neil Burridge and get one. He truly is the king of the modern bronze sword.

So it let it be written; so let it be done.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do we get to somoe photos of your new baby?
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David, we really need to see a photograph of that khopesh.

I promised myself that I would get one of Neil's swords this year - Ewart Park, Limehouse, or Witham - haven't done it yet.

For those who don't know it, here is the web site - http://www.bronze-age-swords.com/ -

And David - I'm not a Canaanite, or a Hittite - but I am a Philistine. I dare you to try and hit me with that khopesh. Happy
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
David, we really need to see a photograph of that khopesh.

I promised myself that I would get one of Neil's swords this year - Ewart Park, Limehouse, or Witham - haven't done it yet.

For those who don't know it, here is the web site - http://www.bronze-age-swords.com/ -

And David - I'm not a Canaanite, or a Hittite - but I am a Philistine. I dare you to try and hit me with that khopesh. Happy

Pics are forthcoming....

And Roger, I wouldn't use this sword on you, promise. I'd use a sling stone (Me David, you Philistine... get it???) Razz

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is the first time I've been compared to Goliath. He must not have had a very good helmet.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
This is the first time I've been compared to Goliath. He must not have had a very good helmet.

More likely, in his pride, Goliath faced the unarmored David without the confining helmet on. He thought, "What could this boy do to me?"

Guess David answered that question.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the club! I've got almost a dozen of Neil's lovelies, and they range from "Great" to "Unbelievable". Of course, I still have to finish and hilt most of them! The first bronze sword I got was the Del Tin, and even after grinding it down to about half its original weight, it still can't compare to Neil's version. The man does his homework.

Enjoy!

Matthew
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

Cheap military contractors... built by the lowest bidder, wouldn't you know....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyway, here are some pics.... enjoy!

Attachment: 91.86 KB
2009-07-07 14-37-13_0002 a.jpg

Attachment: 96.8 KB
2009-07-07 14-37-32_0003a.jpg

Attachment: 95.35 KB
2009-07-08 12-49-47_0005 a.jpg

Attachment: 61.86 KB
2009-07-09 11-35-21_0011A.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely. the bronze color comes out in these pictures more than it does on Neil's website.

The other khopesh in the third photo is the Manning Imperial model, right? They are quite different from each other.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Lovely. the bronze color comes out in these pictures more than it does on Neil's website.

The other khopesh in the third photo is the Manning Imperial model, right? They are quite different from each other.

Yep, that's the Manning Imperial "Canaanite Sickle Sword". It's roughly the same blade length as the Burridge, but it's a more massive sword, being about 1 lb heavier.....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the club! Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My First Burridge
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic