Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Anonymous, Daniel Sullivan, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Two custom Peter Johnsson swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,

Thanks very much for your input as you have an insight I do not yet have.

When I described Peter's approach as "scientific", I knew my words were a bit strong for what I tried to describe as my impression. I used the (probably overly) strong descriptor to try to clearly describe what is a very subtle difference in style, a point I thought might be lost if a more gentle descriptor were spoken.

I wholeheartedly agree that Peter's work is anything but simple. I use the term in the same sense as I would use it to describe certain pieces of Japanese art - which I like very much. You are very right about the Svante - I got to handle one of the prototype blades for the production piece at Albion and even rough one could see how mass distribution and the lines of the piece spoke volumes more in handling than one could see just looking at it. It is the finer aspects you describe - the touches given to a piece from Peter's heart - that place his work in the highest level and it is just those details that attract me to that work. Perhaps a better descriptor would be "reserved elegance"? Lastly, I tried in my words to reflect the success in Peter's work that aligns with the mission simply and clearly described by Albion - the exacting recreation of period weapons, not specific examples of weapons, but ones that could accurately represent a particular classic style or type. As one could compare the First Generation and Next Generation lines, I believe NG swords with FG cousins - and even FG swords given a "NG Style" facelift - picked up among other things a certain personality that gives them something more that they were before.

I think we are very close to the same page, your words in places probably being better than mine.

Thanks again for the observations and thoughts Happy
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That Type XX is just stunning. I've always loved the profile of the XX, and the hiltwork that accompanies it is just amazing.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just wondering what the differences are between these 2 prototypes and the production versions of the blades?

Judging from the statistics on the Albion sight and photographs, it appears that these are "scaled down" versions of the production blades meant for single hand use.

Just wondering why the production versions are larger and if there are any other differences.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
Just wondering what the differences are between these 2 prototypes and the production versions of the blades?
Judging from the statistics on the Albion sight and photographs, it appears that these are "scaled down" versions of the production blades meant for single hand use.
Just wondering why the production versions are larger and if there are any other differences.

Hi Thomas

From what I recall Harlan saying, his customs are the civilian sized versions of this style, whereas Albion has recreated the military sized ones .... Warswords if you will !

Least that is what I think the deal is ! Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Thu 26 Aug, 2004 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Thomas Jason wrote:

Hi Thomas

From what I recall Harlan saying, his customs are the civilian sized versions of this style, whereas Albion has recreated the military sized ones .... Warswords if you will !

Least that is what I think the deal is ! Mac

Mac's pretty much correct.

The Regent and Viceroy are based on longswords that show the same aesthetic features as Peter's two civilian swords.

It was funny, while I was handling the fullered sword I commented to Peter about how the design would be great if beefed up into a longsword. In short order he pulled out one of his drawings, the one that would become the Viceroy.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Mac's pretty much correct.
The Regent and Viceroy are based on longswords that show the same aesthetic features as Peter's two civilian swords.
It was funny, while I was handling the fullered sword I commented to Peter about how the design would be great if beefed up into a longsword. In short order he pulled out one of his drawings, the one that would become the Viceroy.

And just think what you could knit with the bigger version ;-)

"Whaur hae ye been sae braw, lad" *g* Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all positive response on these two swords.

I´d just thought I´d add a few lines on some of the lines I follow in my work.

Documentation of originals is central to what I do, but the normal situation is not to make strict copies or reconstructions of specific originals. Usually swords are made in the style of a certain period and type. There might be one sword that is the main inspriartion, but I allow myself to add features I´ve seen on other originals or vary the dimensions within the typical parameters.

The material I´ve gathered over the years is a bank of reference that tells me within what parameters you´ll find variation. I also draw from expereince handling originals when tweaking each sword for balance and character so it will feel like and perform like an original would have.
Careful study of originals with the intention to record both exact measurements and overall impressions is the basis for the work in the smithy, but forging and documentation are quite different in attitude and character. While documenting originals an analytical approach is needed, but working in the smithy is more intuitive. Forging can be made along exact lines using calipers, but the result is best when there is also an element of flow where the subconsious is allowed to contribute to the process.

Making a strict copy or reconstruction of one specific original is much more involved than making free interpretations based on a set of data.
The more one knows about a peice, the more challenging it is to get close. If there are 20 spots along the blade where dimensions are known within a tenth or a hundredth of a milimeter, duplicating this is a much more daunting task than just shooting for overall weight and point of balance. Making a sword "in the style of" makes it possible to balance different features against each other in a more free manner.
(This is also the foremost reason why the Albion Museum Line is more expensie than the Next Gen line.)
If I am to make a strict copy of one single original it might cost three times as much as if I were to make a sword with some "margin of error" allowed for.

It is also very enjoyable and inspiring to allow one self to build "the ideal" sword along some basic lines or themes. Strict reconstructions are interesting challenges and also "fun" but it in the end would drive you insane.

These past two years have been mostly dedicated to design work for Albion, so I have not been able to produce much own work in the smithy. I really enjoy working as part of a team in the design process. I´ve learned much that will also be of value for what I do in the smithy, so the swords I make will benefit from the work I´ve done and keep doing for Albion.

The growing list of waiting orders and the anticipation from patient customers became too much to handle some time ago.
I have stopped taking custom orders for the time being as a result of this, as it is very difficult to plan worktime in my present situation.
I have also found that the best swords are made as direct results of recent impressions of originals. When I can directly work from what ´ve seen in store rooms and museums, the resulting swords tend to be better than if am following guidelines in a custom order that was set up some months ago(or even years ago...embarrasing but true!).
To solve this I´m going to offer swords (and edged weaponry) moslty on "available-now" basis.
I hope that this will make for better work flow, lessen the stress of imminent deadlines and result in better products. Hopefully this will be good both for customers and maker.

I am working to set up a site where past and present swords are going to be presented, as well as a virtual museum and a page with craft and sword related articles. There will be a page where interested customers can fill a form and supply an e-mail address to which I can send information when new peices are avialable. It will also be possible to express preferences in time periods or types of swords.

There are still a few texts to be translated before the site will be up and running. Most is done. I keep thinking that it will be finished sometime next month, but that date has been pushed forward more than a year now...
Soon, very soon Wink Big Grin

When the site is operational I will probably make an announcement at this forum.

You are all welcome to visit my site and I am looking forward to hear you commnets and ideas about improvements.
Thanks!
Peter
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter
That site does sound like its going to be a Fantastic addition to the Golden age of sword sites.If it wasn't for Myamoury , You and Albion i would never got as interested or spent as much money as i have lately Razz

Seriously keep up the good work at Albion and thanks for the great Swords.

Thanks
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

...as well as a virtual museum and a page with craft and sword related articles...

Peter

Ahhh yes, a Peter Johnsson virtual museum... Now there's something to get excited about.

Can't wait!!!

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

Thank you very much for posting. As I hope all can tell, I am just as intrigued by swords as I am the processes and people behind them. I had my notions on some of your points, but it is great to get confirmation from the source.

Please continue to share your knowledge and inspiration with us and I say again I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you some day.

Thanks again and have an enjoyable day!

btw: I sent you a PM.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Two custom Peter Johnsson swords
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: