Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Contest -- Name That Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Contest -- Name That Sword         Reply with quote

Brian M. suggested it here on myArmoury: We are having a contest to name 14 new NextGen sword models.

Go here for contest rules and concept art of the new models:

http://albion-swords.com/sword-contest.htm

Good luck!

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More excellent swords to market? Dammit. I'm going to cry.

I've been clammoring for years about having more choices in the sword market. Now that we're given so many choices, I realize the painful reality that it puts us consumers in!

Still.. Don't stop Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Charles E.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Oh my! Oh my... Three different type XIX 's, and one an Irish. Albion is going to end up getting more of my $ than Uncle Sam does if you keep this up. Worried
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
More excellent swords to market? Dammit. I'm going to cry.

I've been clammoring for years about having more choices in the sword market. Now that we're given so many choices, I realize the painful reality that it puts us consumers in!

Still.. Don't stop Happy

Dig that Venetian Nathan!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Hell, Patrick, you know me so well don't you?

Yeah, I dig it a lot. It's a sword I've wanted replicated for a long, long time.

I'm trying really hard to talk Albion into modifying the design to include the "spur” often featured on these blades near the hilt and on the opposite side of the finger ring. (See photo, below) This is one of the most distinguishing characteristics for this type of sword, and though I am certain it would add to the complexity of grinding, I think it would be a defining feature of this item that would be well worth the extra cost required to include it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Yeah, I dig it a lot. It's a sword I've wanted replicated for a long, long time.

I'm trying really hard to talk Albion into modifying the design to include the "spur” often featured on these blades near the hilt and on the opposite side of the finger ring. (See photo, below) This is one of the most distinguishing characteristics for this type of sword, and though I am certain it would add to the complexity of grinding, I think it would be a defining feature of this item that would be well worth the extra cost required to include it.

Yep, I like it too.

Agreed on the above details. I'd also like to see the metal ribbing on the grip as an additional detail.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Contest -- Name That Sword         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Brian M. suggested it here on myArmoury: We are having a contest to name 14 new NextGen sword models.

Go here for contest rules and concept art of the new models:

http://albion-swords.com/sword-contest.htm

Good luck!

Best,

Howy

I got a few questions about some of the new swords...

Sword #7-- Is that considered a "brazil nut" pommel? Or a "tea cozy" pommel? There was a bit of confusion about this, and I, for one, continually confuse my pommel types...

Sword #9-- That blade looks *really* familiar... should the description actually read: "Oakeshott XI/XIIIb"? Wink

I dunno about everyone else, but I'm really diggin' sword #11!

Edit: Ignore my first question, I reviewed the other thread and found that I had previously overlooked the answer.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the positive response!

The XIX swords has been long in development, or should I say selection, since there are so many good designs to look to for inspiration. These ones, I hope will cover a decent width of the spectrum. Somewhere to start, so to say.

Nathan, I know exactly what you are talking about. Those blades with a spur are very high on my own list of favourite swords. The thing is that they are not really type XIX blades...
Just adding a spur to a XIX blade (as it now is), would not do the trick.
The ricasso is different and the fuller is deeper and wider.
To make a spurred version the uller needs to be wider and the ricasso also needs fullers on both sides of the central one (a bit like on the blade for the "Viceroy") Possibly the cross section after the fuller also needs some adjustment...
With these adjustments the XIX could be the basis for a spurred version.

After some deliberation back and forth I finally decided to use the XIX blade for the "venetian" hilt since you often see XIX blades on "Spade da fanti", or Italian infantry sword from this time. It is not the same as the famous ones from the Doges palace, but still much in the period style.
At this time it is difficult to say when or if a spured blade could be added to the line. I love those blades, but they are limited in use to this very type of hilt. Nothing bad with that of course, but the XIX type has a wider application.

There are so many different blade types calling for attention (hand and a half types, Kattzbalgers, single edged designs...) so we need to make some sort of priority.

I tend to flood Albion with ideas like: we-really-should-do-this blade-because-it-is-such-a-nice-type arguments. It is all great fun, but in the end some decision has to be made what to include in the production line.
Who knows, perhaps we can se a sprurred (perhaps even backedged?) blade one of these days.
...But wouldn´t it be nice to see twohanders, daggers, falcatas, iberian celts, Xiphos, and curved designs as well? The list is long
Wink Big Grin
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Contest -- Name That Sword         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
[
I got a few questions about some of the new swords...

Sword #9-- That blade looks *really* familiar... should the description actually read: "Oakeshott XI/XIIIb"? Wink

Hey Jeremiah!

Sword #9 is based (loosely) on sword #1027 in the Royal Armoury (which Peter has a lot of information on.) In Records, Oakeshott lists it as Xa.5. To me, it looks like an XI (shades of Spinal Tap!). Yet the blade also is very like an XIIIb... Lots of grey area.

This sword is one of my personal favorites, because my first "real" sword was one professing to be an exact replica of that sword made in a limited edition of 1000 by Wilkinson for the investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales (1969) -- with a certificate of authenticity and everything. This is my personal "Red Ryder BB gun" a la "A Christmas Story."

I saw it on display at Sears of all places -- (alone, standing on its plaque upright on a round table with a white tablecloth and a spotlight on it). I was 13 years old and had been into swords since I was 8, but had never had been able to find anything other than untempered cheesy replicas from Toledo. To me, this was Excalibur and all the other swords of legend right before my eyes.

My Dad had never seen me so anxious to go back to Sears before. Luckily, he was into tools and never complained about going back again and again. He'd go look at tools and I would stand in front of the sword display and sigh heavily.

I pined over it for 6 months -- and grieved over it when it disappeared -- not knowing that my Dad had already bought it for me and hidden it away (I don't remember how much it cost, but for our family it was a lot of money as I recall).

The memory of seeing that long skinny wooden crate under the tree on Christmas morning is probably the real inspiration for why Albion is what it is today. (I am sure that people who are familiar with our company and our subsidiaries will immediately see what I mean).

Through all of the ups and downs of my life, that old Wilkinson has always been near me and always will be, even though in reality it looks as much like #1027 as I look like George Clooney.

I have always wanted something that was a lot closer to that real sword -- to me, along with our NG Knight Type XII, this is the archetypal knightly sword. Simple, classic, powerful. When I felt the Ritter for the first time, I knew we could make a sword using that blade that would capture that feeling.

Anyhow -- sorry for the long story.

Best,

howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Justin Gifford

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, I didn't know you looked like George Clooney! WTF?!
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin Gifford wrote:
Hey, I didn't know you looked like George Clooney! WTF?!

for some reason, the phrase "unreasonable facsimile" comes to mind...

Thanks for the chuckle!

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I'll be getting that Pompeii Gladius... Big Grin
The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm speechless, Howy. I only suggested naming ONE sword! Big Grin
Couple of questions: When will this next batch be priced and available for reservation? I'm also curious about the new XIV, will it be priced with the "plainer" swords (circa $680) as opposed to the Sovereign? I like the simpler, more utilitarian look of the new XIV, but then again, the Sovereign with its double fuller and fancier hilt is a real eye-catcher.
Tops on my list is #8, the wheel-pommel Type-X. Also #10 (type-XIV) and #13 (Irish Ring XIX). Now I have to prioritize in light of needing to buy 3 more for the free 4th. Right now I think it would be: 1)Berserker, 2)Wheel-X, 3)Type-XIV/Sovereign/Vassal/Chieftain/Irish Ring, 4)Sword of St. Maurice. Bit of a logjam at the #3 spot.

Regards,
Brian M
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
I'm speechless, Howy. I only suggested naming ONE sword! Big Grin
Couple of questions: When will this next batch be priced and available for reservation? I'm also curious about the new XIV, will it be priced with the "plainer" swords (circa $680) as opposed to the Sovereign? I like the simpler, more utilitarian look of the new XIV, but then again, the Sovereign with its double fuller and fancier hilt is a real eye-catcher.
Tops on my list is #8, the wheel-pommel Type-X. Also #10 (type-XIV) and #13 (Irish Ring XIX). Now I have to prioritize in light of needing to buy 3 more for the free 4th. Right now I think it would be: 1)Berserker, 2)Wheel-X, 3)Type-XIV/Sovereign/Vassal/Chieftain/Irish Ring, 4)Sword of St. Maurice. Bit of a logjam at the #3 spot.

Regards,
Brian M

Hey Brian!

Like they say, be careful what you wish for!

Our plan is to put them up on the site with draft specifications at the conclusion of the contest (while Peter is here).

We are working hard to introduce new NextGens on the lower end of the price scale (and phase the FirstGen swords out of production and backfill that price range with new NextGen swords.) There are swords on the contest list that will start in the $500-$600 range and go up from there, depending on the man-hours required. More specifically, the XIV will be in the lower range, though I can't say right now exactly where it will fall, depending mostly on the pommel clean-up requirements.

Glad that you like what you see so far! Thanks again for the great idea -- I have gotten over 100 responses just since it was posted last night and they are coming in fast and furious!

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the direction you are taking with some of these, that is, to produce several accurate NG swords of a plainer (thus less expensive) nature. That works for me, since my taste tends to be toward the earlier end of the spectrum.
Probably a good idea to say goodbye to the First Gens, as it will simplify your product line (no offense meant) and allow more production focus on the Museum/NG/Squire. Out of curiouslty, will you also be discontinuing the "Hollowground Line?"

Regards,
Brian M
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
I like the direction you are taking with some of these, that is, to produce several accurate NG swords of a plainer (thus less expensive) nature. That works for me, since my taste tends to be toward the earlier end of the spectrum.
Probably a good idea to say goodbye to the First Gens, as it will simplify your product line (no offense meant) and allow more production focus on the Museum/NG/Squire. Out of curiouslty, will you also be discontinuing the "Hollowground Line?"

Regards,
Brian M

On the HG FirstGens -- the Rouen will probably get refitted with new hilt components, but I am not sure about the Orleans.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really love the design for the Irish type XIX; can't wait to see what name it eventually gets Big Grin

I am curious about something. Is the blade for the new type XIV a new design, built from the ground up or is it the Sovereign blade "tweaked" (ie. a change in the distal taper, etc) to accomodate a single vs. double fuller?

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Contest -- Name That Sword         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

Hey Jeremiah!

Sword #9 is based (loosely) on sword #1027 in the Royal Armoury (which Peter has a lot of information on.) In Records, Oakeshott lists it as Xa.5. To me, it looks like an XI (shades of Spinal Tap!). Yet the blade also is very like an XIIIb... Lots of grey area...

... I have always wanted something that was a lot closer to that real sword -- to me, along with our NG Knight Type XII, this is the archetypal knightly sword. Simple, classic, powerful. When I felt the Ritter for the first time, I knew we could make a sword using that blade that would capture that feeling.

Hi Howy!

Thanks for responding to my question. My implication was that the blade on Sword #9 looked virtually identical to the one in the sketch of the Ritter. What can I say? When somebody comes out with a blade that really tickles my Teutonic fancy, it tends to stay in my memory for quite a long time-- I'll recognize it anywhere! Big Grin

There's a lot of fans for the shorter, broader swords, like the typical XII's and X's. But, to me, there's just something about the longer cavalry blades that lend a distinctive, elegant authority to the appearance of the weapon... I don't know how else to describe it.

And thanks for sharing your story, btw, I found it very interesting.

Keep up the good work, I'll drop you a line if I think I come up with anything good Wink

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it is the Ritter blade. I recall asking Peter J a nearly identical question regarding the Ritter/Count some time ago, and he answered that (IIRC) a sword's classification according to Oakeshott can be influenced by the hilt style, and that there aren't always such clear distinctions as we would think. The same blade might be hilted in a later style and reasonably called a XIIIa or XIIIb.
I dig longer blades too. I own the NG Gaddhjalt, which I see as a "classic" type-XI look when taking length and hilt style into account, and not going just by the fuller.

Regards,
Brian M
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Zamoida wrote:
I really love the design for the Irish type XIX; can't wait to see what name it eventually gets Big Grin

I am curious about something. Is the blade for the new type XIV a new design, built from the ground up or is it the Sovereign blade "tweaked" (ie. a change in the distal taper, etc) to accomodate a single vs. double fuller?

Hi Robert,

The XIV blade is a derivate of the "Sovereign" tweaked a bit with a single fuller. The outline and size is identical.
The XV is also a derivate of the Castellan, only shorter.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Contest -- Name That Sword
Page 1 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: