Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with sword blade Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Hinton

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Help with sword blade         Reply with quote

Hello

I was wondering if any one could help identify the following sword blade, who is the manifacturer and who was the likley end user

Dimentions of blade are as follows;

Blade Length 25 inches

Width at shoulder 1 and 3/8 Inch

Width at mid point 1 inch

length of fuller 19 and 1/4 inch

there appears to be a makers mark on the tang (looks like a shamrock).

the end of the tang has broken off it was fitted with a bill hook handle when given to me and had been used more than likely to clear weeds.

Discovered in a barn in Cambridgeshire England.

I am also looking to replace the handle does any one have any ideas on what it would look like and its possible construction.

All help greatfully received

here are the pictures
Steve Hinton

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

pic one makers mark pic two blade

Attachment: 16.71 KB
PIC_0048compressed.jpg

Attachment: 17.94 KB
PIC_0049compressed.jpg

Markus A

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well from the look of the blade i would not thing its napoleonic or later.i would more thing its araound 1650 ties
looks like the balde of an wallon hilted sabre.an closer pic of the peened block at end might help
but could be of course lter in date
in any case an good blade which might be rehilted
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Markus said, this could be from the 1600s. However, this style of blade with its single narrow fuller was used on various hangers, both civilian and military, all over Europe during the 1700s as well! Since this was found in England, I would tend to think that it's from an English hanger of some sort. Odds are it's 1700s, but it could be earlier.
My 2 cents! --ElJay
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
This type of blade was in use over a long period of time. The majority tend to come from the 18th Century and I would suspect that your blade is from this period. It is unlikely, but not impossible, that you will be able to find the maker as many of these types of blades were outsourced by the British Govt. to inumerable small firms that have never been recorded. A private purchase blade is likely to be equally as anonymous.The photos are of two hangers from my collection, the bare blade was made late 18thC early 19thC as it has the GR stamp which was introduced in the late 18thC. Although it has the makers initials stamped on the tang research has produced no name for the reason previously stated. The other sword is a 'modified', i.e. the hilt is minus the boat shaped guard usually associated with this type, so called 1742 hanger. This sword could be earlier than the aforementioned date but equally it could be quite a bit later. As far as use goes your blade could be from a hunting hanger, an infantry hanger, a coastguard cutlass etc. etc. An e-mail and photo to the Royal Armouries is worth a try re the makers mark as they have extensive lists of known makers and their marks. As to the hilt type/material that may have been on your blade they are numerous from plain iron, bone, wood, horn even ivory if it was a gentlemans hunting hanger. Regardless of anything it is an interesting blade and well worth having.
Regards,
Norman.

Attachment: 33.57 KB
P1010001.JPG

Last edited by Norman McCormick on Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And just to illustrate another mid-18th century example with a similar blade:

Steve Hinton

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replies

I certainly will send something to the Royal Armouries

The piened over end I presume occured when the blade was re handled and may not be contempoary with its original use. I am thinking of restoring the blade and re handling it though I wish to do so sympathetically. Does any one have any tips. The blade still has a keen edge. How much of the rust would you recommend removing?

With handle construction (I know this will depend on age use etc) does anyone have any tips or suggestions on where to obtain components?

Once again thanks to all the posters so far.
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want it to retain its value (not that it's worth that much). I would suggest not doing anything to it yourself, instead send it out to a proffesional to restore. Simply removing rust can destroy an antique... I have personally seen arms and armour that have lost thousands of dollars of value by sub par "restoration".
Cheers,
Hadrian Happy

Historia magistra vitae est

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with sword blade
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic