Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > WMA Fencing Helmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: WMA Fencing Helmet         Reply with quote

Hello,
I was wondering how these compare. The Windrose Armoury Fiore Fencing Helm
OR
The That Guy's Products Mask(with brow plate and perf-plate back).

I want one for doing German longsword practice/freeplay with steel blunts. Price is no consideration.
Thnx
Z
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the Windrose helmet but I have not heard anything but good about That Guy's helmets. They are made to measurements and thus fit well. Although because of the leather suspension it takes a while for the helmet to adjust to your head.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Zach!

I've used both and own a couple of the Windrose helmets. They're both excellent products. Either will work for longsword / sword & buckler / messer. The difference is that the Tindill masks are 'extra heavy duty' masks, while the Windrose product is a helmet optimized for better ventilation and vision. Because of that, if you want to do armoured combat, or any poleaxe work at speed, I'd recommend the Windrose product.

In addition to the multiple weapons I have to contend with, I also chose the Windrose product because it's more in keeping with the more overt medieval motif I favor in my training, presentations, etc.

But again, I must stress that these are both excellent products. I've used both with considerable satisfaction.

Yours,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys, thanks for the imput! I appreciate it. Happy
I found another one the Icefalcon Fencing Helm, how does this compare? It seems quite similiar to the Windrose one.
Thnx
Z
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach Gordon wrote:
Hi guys, thanks for the imput! I appreciate it. Happy
I found another one the Icefalcon Fencing Helm, how does this compare? It seems quite similiar to the Windrose one.
Thnx
Z

I can't compare this style of helm for you, but I can tell you that both Windrose and Icefalcon are class acts. I've had several very successful transactions with both. Answering emails and voicemails in one workday is S.O.P. for these guys. Sorry, I have no personal experience with That Guy to relate.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What Scott said: You'd be in good hands also with Ice Falcon.

That helmet has a bit more sallet look, so if that's what you're aiming for, go for it.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
I would be nervous purchasing the helm from Icefalcon... A few years ago I needed a helm for the WMAW, the need arose a week before the event and Icefalcon was the only one who could get it done with such short notice. I ordered the helm lined and strapped because I knew I wouldn't have the time. I was charged $100 for the lining and strapping (now they seem to charge far less, I have to wonder if they took advantage of the fact that I was desperate). I got the helm the day before the event without strapping or liner, and the visor not attached. Since I wasn't going to be able to use it at the event anyway I asked for a refund on the liner/strap. Icefalcon refused. On top of that they charged me to ship it back to them to fix... and then again to ship it back to me. When I finally did get it the $100 liner turned out to be glued in camp foam, and the strap was just a piece of nylon webbing. I was not impressed.

Other than that the helm has turned out to be quite nice...except for the chin region. Tilting the head back at all exposes the jaw. A thrust to the mid section could slide upwards and impale your mouth area. This "problem" does have to items to note... it has never happened to me (just worried me), and can be rectified by gluing in a bib similiar to those of the Windrose helms.

I heard Scott at Darkwood Armory is coming out with a new fencing helm/mask in the next couple of months. If it's not urgent you may want to wait and see what he has to offer.

Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > WMA Fencing Helmet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic