Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > (Not) Shutting Down Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: (Not) Shutting Down         Reply with quote

I'm not particularly sure how to go about this but i'll give it a shot. As the economy has tanked we've done what we could to roll with the punches and keep things going without hurting our quality or customer service. Initially when things slowed down, we switched from in stock to build to order to try and make our reduced supply dollars work better for us. A little longer delivery time but quality and CS stayed the same. As things got slower still we had to do more with fewer people. Slower still and we had nearly a year of perpetual 20% off sales ( in effect at cost ) which came with its own problemsAll the while tapping reserve cash to make the lows work. Seemingly economic support and interest in what we do continues to wane. We would very much like to continue to work for you ( i've been doing this since I was 12 ) but in order for that to continue to be the case we need a steady flow of work. If we don't get some kind of work in here by weekends finish we will be forced shut down The Mercenary's Tailor, put the tools on ebay to slip some back to a few folks for some partially finished pieces and go looking for reliable work. Thats where we're at and we just wanted to give a heads up.

Secondarilly, this is pretty much where the whole industry is at. We know you're all stretched thin, we are as well. We're doing more with less in our work and our lives as you good folks are, hoping things will get better. We love the satisfaction of hearing how much someone is pleased with what we've made for them, or how satisfied they we're with how we treated them. Thats as much a part of why we do what we do as the actual building is. In order to keep doing that we need to have work comming in. We know its less these days, theres less for you so theres less for us, but we need a level of steady work to exist so we can continue to be there for you. We want to be there for you. Regarless of what becomes of us at our shoppe keep the rest of the folks in mind if you can, Arms and Armor, Albion, Andre at Ice Falcon armoury, Mike Spires at Sotnekeep armoury and the others that you go to for your arms and armour/historical needs. They need your patronage in these times as much as where you work needs its customers.
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can order a few things from you Allan. I'm not interested in any partially finished pieces though. PM me and let's get something going.
"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know it's been a difficult time for you and yours. I've had to cut back my spending this year I know. Hopefully, one day, not too long from now, you'll be able to return to what you loved. You have many loyal fans. Unfortunately, loyalty alone doesn't pay the bills. As you well know, a close friend had to close down his sword and knife shop, which also was our salle. This is effecting everyone.
I hope to run into you in person one of these days so we can grab a beer and talk. Your armour has really saved my ass, and I have the dings and dents to prove it. Thank you for the years of work you have put into this craft, and the years of work and excellent customer service you have shown myself and fellow SOMMA members. Good luck on the next step of this journey. I'll keep sending you pics of your armour being pushed to the max for you to enjoy and remember.

Slan agat

http://vimeo.com/12095734

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just put in a small order (a buckler). It's something I've been meaning to make for myself for awhile now, but have never been able to find the time. I figured I could use the time saved and you could use the money...sounds like a fair trade to me!

Good luck, I hope this little bit helps.

Dustin
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know we've never spoken Alan, but I really feel you and understand exactly where your coming from. Last year, due to the economy, my family and I lost just about everything. When my business went down it took quite toll on my personally so I know just how you feel right now. Man I'm so sorry and I wish I had been able to get that kit I kept eyeing on your site, but things being what they are we're just able to keep our heads above water. I wouldn't sell all of your tools though. If you really love what you do, and I believe you do, just keep it up in the side. If you need an ear to vent on I'd be honored to lend mine, even though we may be strangers. Be well and I hope it all works out for you. We'll be praying hard!

~Mike~

Winter is coming
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pulled the trigger on the 14th/15th legs I've been eying for a few months, finishing out the plate portion of the late 14th I'm doing. Should look good with the integrated arms and Wisby 3 gauntlets I got earlier in the year.

C'mon folks, let's do what we can!
Joe Maccarrone

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just placed a small order for an item I've been eyeing for too long...

I could place a larger order in the near future, once I figure out what I want to accompany what I already have.

Good luck, Allan! If you guys go under, there will be a huge void in this hobby.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also ordered the gauntlets I had been thinking of grabbing anyway. I really would hate to see you shut down, Allan! We can't afford to lose a good armorer!
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan,

I sent you a email to your website.
If I can get some pieces from you that be great.
Thanks
Christopher

Proudly it stands until the worlds end. The victorious banner of love.
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ordered the 16th century legs about 4 days ago.
I hope my 200 will come in handy to keep MercTailor afloat. As I'm fifteen, it's all I can spare though.
I'd really really REALLY hate to see Allan go under. He's the no.1 on my list.

PLEASE help him out! Eek! Eek! Eek!

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: sad news         Reply with quote

I've really enjoyed the pieces I bought from you. very good service, and lots of personal attention. I really hope things work out.

best,

Michael
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that I am truely floored by the response. In these tought times I had prepared myself to say farewell to my coworkers and take a job building cell phone towers. The generousity and support expressed in this short few hours is the sort of thing that reminds you people are decent. Thanks so very much this is the kind of odd thing that one can waste a whole day talking on and not ever manage to express properly.

Please continue to keep your other craftsman in mind as well. We do talk and I can tell you that they're not far from where we were.

Nathan you were never in any danger of not recieving your legs. They will move out Tuesday/Wednsday.

Again thanks so much for being there for us to allow us to continue to be there for you folks.
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

However this all turns out for you, Allan, I wish you the best of luck and good fortune.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan,

You didnt think we'd let you go so easily. I talk highly of you and I think many many people here do the same.
Thats the great thing about this sight its like a family and like family we are here to help you out.
Hope we have sparked a little something for you to at least stick with it either full time or at least part.
I know my heart sank once I heard you werent doing to well.
But hopefully it will.

Truely
Christopher

Proudly it stands until the worlds end. The victorious banner of love.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Finneman wrote:
Allan,

You didnt think we'd let you go so easily. I talk highly of you and I think many many people here do the same.
Thats the great thing about this sight its like a family and like family we are here to help you out.
Hope we have sparked a little something for you to at least stick with it either full time or at least part.
I know my heart sank once I heard you werent doing to well.
But hopefully it will.

Truely
Christopher

A great personal thanks to Christopher for letting me know that he was worried about Allan in a P.M. yesterday and I immediately contacted Allan to find out how things where doing and after he told me how grim things where looking I tried to give him some emotional support and I suggested he try giving it one more " last " try and post his situation on " myArmoury ".

Without Christopher's heads up I would have missed the opportunity to help.

More concretely I just ordered his Fixed Neck Sallet which I was deferring buying since I already have a semi-customised version of his Articulated Neck Sallet: By the way it's one one the most comfortable helms I have worn for extended hours as it's center of gravity is low and it doesn't feel top heavy.

From the MT site the Fixed Neck Sallet: http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...cts_id=133

The Payment has already been sent in full as I figure the funds in the bank where urgently needed.

A long time ago one of Allan's shipments to me had delivery problems and he insisted in giving me anything from his cathalogue for free ! So I got a Kite Shield from Allan at zero cost. Big Grin Cool At the risk of embarassing him, his good reputation for customer service is fully deserved and it would be really bad to lose him as a reliable maker, but even more I was/am worried for him as a friend.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan,

Let's talk soon about gear we might need here. Drop me a line and we'll gab.

You're GOING to get through through this my friend - I just know it.

Yours,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is bad news. I've had hopes of one day getting MT armour.

Not promising anything (I have bought some swords and other stuff recently and don't like the way my finances are going, but I still have enough to get a few more toys), but concerning the Almain Collar: Is that something you can put on yourself or do you need help to get the sucker on? I thought I saw someone in a thread around here that had the Almain or just the gorget saying they couldn't put it on or take it off without help. I'd prefer to have the freedom to suit up all by my lonesome.

Edit: And while it's nice that everyone wants to help out MT, are there any other folks who are about to shut down? I mean, simply saying "Support your local armourer" is a little vague. I for one can't afford to buy something from every armour maker on the net, so a few pointers as to who needs the most help would be nice. (Again, I can't promise anything personally, my bank account I have set aside for personal/whim/toys/whatever is getting smaller and smaller.)
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt, i'm not really kidding when I say everyone. Windrose, Albion, Arms & Armor, Ice Falcone, Stonekeep,Therion Arms,pick your favorite. Like I mentioned earlier, this is a small industry, if you got us all together in one place we wouldn't add up to enough to qualify for the low end employment level of a mid sized company, what's hitting the average guy is hitting us because the average guy is our customer and if he's low we're low. If theres something, even a little thing, maybe a pack of buckles from Talbott's of some period shoe's from Revival it will matter. Theres a reason we all appologize for having to raise our asking price every 3-4 years as material costs go up, we know how much it sucks to see something you want bump up. We're buying from each other half the time, most of us are involved in the hobby at some level ourselves, whether it be collecting, WMA, SCA, living history ect. Thats a fair chunk of why we're all so bad at pricing our own stuff, we want some one elses wares and wish we could swing getting it.

Again i'm still a bit off kilter as to how much folks came out about this. I tried explaining this to my daugher tonight, but theres just not a good assemblage of words that really conveys how much people can amaze you especially when times could be better for almost everybody.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

as a small business owner i know where you are at. my heart aches at seeing another dream go down the slippery slop of the economy. we will keep you and your business in our thoughts and prayers.
Wayland T. Phipps

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll be picking up a pair of greaves from your site here shortly, and i truly wish you guys the best. my hat goes off to you Allan, as well as the entire armoring community

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > (Not) Shutting Down
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: