Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > weapons: at the time of Justinian Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: weapons: at the time of Justinian         Reply with quote

I was invited to join the editorial staff, an online magazine which will be called tagmata. The magazine will deal with military history, organization, weapons and battles Byzantine. To be honest, I do not know what I'm doing in the editorial staff, since all the others are professors of history, I am not, but I shall do my best. Weapons: at the time of Justinian is the theme of the article. (482-565)
Good information can also be treated by his contemporaries: Procopius, Belisarius, Narses.
It would be much appreciate your help, pictures, iconographic sources, books, articles in journals archaeological ect. ect. Obviously these sources should be verified.
I hope to have your support.

Ciao
Maurizio

Last edited by Maurizio D'Angelo on Fri 26 Feb, 2010 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on that position Maurizio. I don't know of anyone more passionate about Byzantium then you... I am sure you will do great!
Philip Montgomery

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: weapons: at the time of Justinian         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
I was invited to join the editorial staff, an online magazine which will be called tagmata. The magazine will deal with military history, organization, weapons and battles Byzantine.

Congratulations Maurizio. That is awesome. Please keep us informed about this magazine as it comes to life. I have always been excited by the Byzantine era of the Roman Empire.

Philip Montgomery
~-----~
"A broken sword blade fwipping through the air like a scythe through rye does demand attention."
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new position!

What language will this magazine be in?

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Fri 26 Feb, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Spanjer wrote:
Congratulations on your new position!

What language will this magazine be in?

Unfortunately, it will be in Italian. But I can try to ask an English version.
Do not worry, I will not be the translator. Laughing Out Loud

Ciao
Maurizio
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats! I am actually in book II in History of the Wars! I will enjoy reading the magazine. I'll see if I have anything, but they picked the right person!! You will be terrific.
M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words, guys. But not overestimated.
I think that reading a dozen books on Byzantium is not enough.
My tutor is a professor of Byzantine history at the University of Venice, also because finding the right books, it often means translating from the greek or latin. I have very little in this.
But I consider myself lucky to have met these people. Happy

Ciao
Maurizio
Ben P.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats! Big Grin
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi all,
a few months late is published the first issue of "Tagmata" a magazine of Byzantine art of war. Il Prof. Ravegnani,
one of the greatest scholars of military history and Byzantine Italy, gave its support moral and scientific advice to our new initiative.
Here you can download:
http://www.aresacademy.it/public/tagmata.html
If someone helps me, my article I will translate it into a decent English. I can translate it, but you will need the correction of a native speaker. Then you can download the same or inserted here somewhere. If the moderators that's okay, of course.

Ciao
Maurizio
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just skimmed through it. It is a gorgeous production! I agree that an English translation would be very appreciated.

What a terrific effort! Cool

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As an Orthodox Christian, I can say that the whole notion of Byzantium is one of interest, perhaps more from a religious point of view than of arms and armor. One thing of interest is that we Orthodox - especially my brothers in the Greek Chuch - generally take exception to the term "Byzantine." To us it is always the Roman Empire as we see St. Constantine and his successors as trying to carry the notion of "Romanism" onward even, and maybe, especially, after the collapse of the Western Empire the 6th C. Even the Ottomans referred to us as the "Rum" or Romans. The notion of the Romans is very strong even today, especially as the political extremism of the latter-day Ottomans (Turks) is still trying desperately hard to exterminate and eradicate the last vestiges of the Roman culture and the Eastern Church from Turkey. Churchs are destroyed, priest martyred and even a few weeks ago, many homes of Greek Christians in Constantinople were marked with red crosses by parties unknown as a form of intimidation.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but it is interesting to know that the repercussions of the Fall of Constantinople and the Eastern Roman culture in 1453 is still being felt today and is by no means over!

Congrats on the editorial position. I'm sure it is very well deserved! When you have the opportunity, look at John Santipoulas' blog (www.johnsantipoulas.com). There are many articles over the past two years dealing with contemporary "Byzantium."

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
.....generally take exception to the term "Byzantine." To us it is always the Roman Empire as we see St. Constantine and his successors as trying to carry the notion of "Romanism" onward even, and maybe, especially, after the collapse of the Western Empire the 6th C. Even the Ottomans referred to us as the "Rum" or Romans.

I agree,
The people of the Empire "Byzantine" had no idea of being "Byzantine". They felt like the followers of the authentic Roman world: the Romans living in Romania (not to be confused with the current Romania). In the inner regions of Constantinople, which was the Greek language to predominate over the Latin of Ancient Rome, the Roman idea of citizenship and identity had involved a large proportion of the population. The citizens of Greek were proud of being Romans: Romans were called in Latin, in greek romaioi.
The word romaioi called at the end, the population of Greek Roman Empire.
Quote:

The notion of the Romans is very strong even today, especially as the political extremism of the latter-day Ottomans (Turks) is still trying desperately hard to exterminate and eradicate the last vestiges of the Roman culture and the Eastern Church from Turkey. Churchs are destroyed, priest martyred and even a few weeks ago, many homes of Greek Christians in Constantinople were marked with red crosses by parties unknown as a form of intimidation.

I did not know all this, I thought only dislike.

Ciao
Maurizio

Last edited by Maurizio D'Angelo on Tue 07 Sep, 2010 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Eging wrote:
I just skimmed through it. It is a gorgeous production! I agree that an English translation would be very appreciated.

What a terrific effort! Cool

I want to take a small example, so those who want to help me have idea of the difficulties.
Here the beginning of Article translated by me and should be corrected by volunteer translator.

" Weapons in general, like anything else people use, are closely
linked to its history. The Roman army began, the Republican era,
as a citizen army, called to arms, if necessary, its roots, remodeling Carthaginian Africa, Hellenistic East, Europe
Celtic. The army is renewed as the need increases, firm leverage is
stretching, weapons change, imperial Rome can count on a professional army,
highly trained, we think, that when the army was able to choose the
battlefield, a few other armies were able to put up a good resistance.

I hope a few mistakes. only ten pag. Is an experiment. Cool

Ciao
Maurizio
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with the others that an English translation would be very welcome. It looks very promising, but I'm afraid my Italian is a bit lacking...
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good evening!

Wow, congrats! Try at the old All Empires forum, Military History subforum, early, middle and late byzantian military topics.

There are some german forums too (f.e. archaeoforum). The studying of the avar military is usefull, too. (In context with the new type katafraktoi in the 6th Century).

There is a very good hung. book, the "Elfeledett háborúk" (Forgotten wars), Magyar-byzantine battles and sieges in the 10-13th Century, with drawings on the lowest level, but with quite a lot of informations.

I'm waiting for the english version, too, My "Maria e una operaia diligente" italian knowlidge doesn't even reach my low english Laughing Out Loud

Zoltán

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > weapons: at the time of Justinian
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic