Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Can you identify it? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jacob R. Arnold

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Can you identify it?         Reply with quote

I bought this dagger a few months back and was wondering what country and year it would fall under? Or is it fantasy?

Attachment: 180.64 KB
Daggar 001.jpg

Attachment: 122.56 KB
Daggar 002.jpg

Attachment: 166.5 KB
Daggar 003.jpg

Attachment: 123.09 KB
Daggar 004.jpg

Attachment: 156.11 KB
Daggar 005.jpg

Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably modern made and that is all I can tell you.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No doubt it's modern made. I think he's asking if it would be associated to anything historical. And the answer, with all things considered, is no, not really.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Contemporary knifemaker made. I don't recognize the form of fashion as belonging to anyone I am familiar with but fashionable, with a heavily etched folded steel blade. A nod to the "mosaic" pin in the handle (tubes within a tube) show someone was trying at least. Often marketed at a lot of money for these types of art daggers from well known (or even beginning) knifemakers.

What was it sold as and where did you happen across it? Are there any marks in the metal parts at all that might be a hallmark or maker's mark of sorts?

www.bladefourms.com and www.knifeforums.com have a lot of traffic of both knifemakers and their customers. Posting to those two boards may yield someone familiar with a style familiar to an individual. The single mosaic pin is not unique but moer often replace the use of other pins, so it may have been a specific commission someone had made at some point and later sold on the secondary market with the first origin lost in the transactions.

If it has a JS somewhere on the blade, it may have been made by a journeyman smith in the American Bladesmith Society offering up an example of his work for evaluation or even an early student of that group sharing the same type of example before testing/evaluation.. That may explain a kind of odd combination of forms put together to show ability and finish.

Cheers

GC

A Kevin Cashen Journeyman Smith mark and example
Ron Reuter

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The guard and handle appear to have been reused from an MRL sliver hilted dagger.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-288-silver-hilted-dagger.aspx

There is a mention that the Mrl silver hilted dagger can be seen in the book "European Daggers" by Basfford Dean.

I do like the looks of your dagger, the handle is very nice.

Ron
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good eyes and catch Ron. I wonder if Windlass has the rest (blades, pins and such) in their aprts catalog at Atlanta Cutlery.

Cheers

GC
Jacob R. Arnold

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I happened across this dagger on eBay. The maker of the dagger is Michael Axe and the name is engraved right below the hilt. It also came with a hand made sheath that i believe he made also. I was able to purchase it for $140 which I thought was a screaming deal noting that it is Damascus and all.

Thanks for the info, interesting to know that the handle is second hand.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Good eyes and catch Ron. I wonder if Windlass has the rest (blades, pins and such) in their aprts catalog at Atlanta Cutlery.

Cheers

GC

They have a blade very much like that one in their catalog. I have a couple of the damascus sgian dubh blades and the pattern looks similar. I would guess that the blade is from Atlanta Cutlery and, has been suggested, the guard and pommel were cannibalized from one of their production daggers. It looks pretty nice and the metal furniture looks appropriate. The price wasn't bad either, considering that it took some time to put it together. The mosaic pin may have come from Jantz or one of the other knife makers' supply houses. AC doesn't carry much in the way of components any more, except for blades.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Can you identify it?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic