Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Burgundian Poleaxe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Burgundian Poleaxe         Reply with quote

I have the A&A Burgundian Poleaxe http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole217.html and a full suit of armor. My time is quite full though I have an itch to take it out and do something with it... I just dont know what.

I dont have anyone interested in medieval anything that lives with/near me. And was wondering what suggestions people here may have for me that i can do with what I have. What would you do if you were in my armor-->shoes.

Hmm, yea my knowledge is large enough to talk about many topics and the such (Thanks to the folks here)

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age

Last edited by Christopher VaughnStrever on Thu 02 Sep, 2010 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Local Scout Troops would probably love an informed presentation. You could even help troops develop a short-course of study on arms and armour if you know the subject well enough to avoid or refute the common myths.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Local Scout Troops would probably love an informed presentation. You could even help troops develop a short-course of study on arms and armour if you know the subject well enough to avoid or refute the common myths.

Yep - also if you can pull in the fact that the Scouts used to have a Master at Arms merit badge, which included quarterstaff work.

Compagno, Northwest Fencing Academy

http://bunkaijuju.blogspot.com/
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Burgundian Poleaxe         Reply with quote

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:

I dont have anyone interested in medieval anything that lives with/near me. And was wondering what suggestions people here may have for me that i can do with what I have. What would you do if you were in my armor-->shoes.

I doubt that there are no other people near you, that are interested in medieval things. You just don't know them. Get yourself some manuals (or even mediaval scripts) about the use of the poleaxe and start to exercise with it in your backyard. Or get yourself a trainer weapon (a staff, 2,20 Meter long should be sufficient, 3 cm wide. It's what is called in german: "Halbe Stange") and go to your local park or sports compound to exercise with it. Get two of the staff: one for you and one for your sparrings partner (which will show up in time, no worries!). Take some of your equipment, e.g. the breastplate, so the people know that you are doing period things, and no kungfu. I won't use the full gear, cause that would surely threaten some people (imagine a knight in shining armor, wielding a pole axe in the park... unless you want to meet some cops, that's not the best idea, I guess. So start your thing, talk to peoples and bystanders. After some weeks there will be someone who is interested. And there is the first sparrings partner for you. Big Grin In short: start your own study and training group. Just do it.

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like walking the dogs in my armour (usually at night and often without cuisse and greaves). It is not only good fun, (cars stopping and backing up to take a second look) but has a practical training side as well - making sure of fit and getting used to the weight, keeps me in shape for sca, etc. Jogging/hiking while wearing a 20 lb hauberk plus a 15 lb COP is good training!

I think many of us worry that people will think us weird and strange for having reproduction armour. however, my experience has been quite the opposite - the vast majority of folks seem very interested and fascinated. but in any case - I personally don't give a tinkers bumm what people (including my neighbors) think of my hobbies.

in addition to scouts I know that here in AZ, the kids study the medieval period at school in 5th or 6th grade ...(might be fourth, my kids are now older and I don't quite remember). I am willing to bet that many grade school teachers in your area would love a demo of your armour (without weapons) in their class. you have a great kit! tr
Mihai Ionita

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

Can you give an example of some of the common myths? I would be interested in refuting them in the near future as part of a routine.
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oh well the usual ..................... needing a crane to lift you onto your horse for example
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
in addition to scouts I know that here in AZ, the kids study the medieval period at school in 5th or 6th grade ...(might be fourth, my kids are now older and I don't quite remember). I am willing to bet that many grade school teachers in your area would love a demo of your armour (without weapons) in their class. you have a great kit! tr

True! Public schools have NO money and any self-respecting history teacher would love a free demonstration. I did a short demonstration at my local high school for their "medieval days" celebration a few years back. The whole school was involved and it was great fun! Biology classes studied the plague / disease transmission, and spent the day marking people who had "contracted" the disease. Sewing classes had a field day with costumes. Cooking classes had booths set up selling food. The shop kids cranked out some very clever armours and shields (weapons had to be cardboard Sad ).

It didn't hurt that they are "the home of the Knights" and the school mascot is depicted as a fully armoured and mounted knight in late 15th century armour. Wink

Who knows, maybe you can help another innocent start their own slide down this very slippery slope we know so well. Wink

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:

True! Public schools have NO money and any self-respecting history teacher would love a free demonstration.

Yes, but many schools have strict enough weapons policies that it may be difficult to get gear on campus.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Yes, but many schools have strict enough weapons policies that it may be difficult to get gear on campus.

You are very correct. I had to get special permission to bring in rebated weapons (no sharps) under the condition that the kids could look but not touch. The kids loved putting on the helmets, mail and other armour bits enough that it would have been well worth it even without the weapons.

Don't forget books! I loaned many books to a teacher that the kids could check out at their leisure. I even got them all back weeks later!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have done maybe a dozen or more school presentations and never had a problem with bringing real weapons as long as I contacted the proper people at the school... usually I do let the teacher take over this part. Several have done checks to verify I was not some nutter off the street but no one has ever told me not to bring the arms along with the armour and other gear. I had always assumed California would have been one of the most strict states for such things but you live, you learn I guess.

I have done such presentations for scouts as well.

Any reenactment groups in the area around you? Might help to network out.

RPM
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have put together some brochures detailing all that I am capable of doing / teaching. But I need to put stamps on those items and send them out.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far I have given those ideas some thought in the past, and actually tried out the park idea, and walking the dog (but I was walking with my wife. Some old guy asked me "Hey Tin Man! Where's Dorthy?" I chuckled and my wife said "I'm right here") The responses were nice.

I do have a 2month old baby girl and a 2 year old daughter and my wife that I failed to mention in the original post, So the kids (until they get older) make it slightly difficult to actually get suited up... and even when I am able to do so... you never want an infant to be crying while you are clad in a suit of amor and then all the sudden your wife starts to complain about pain in her side. The crying just gets worse and worse...and not that of just the baby...lol

Has anyone came up with a good prop or stand to place Cantelops or cocunts (or any other fruit) onto and then smash them to smither-eens. I made a stand once, though it was problematic. And the only way the cocunt would stay on it is when I duct taped the darn thing onto the post. That sucked, but the thing looked great when I sliced through it.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Burgundian Poleaxe
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic