Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Takeover of the renn fair by myArmoury! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Takeover of the renn fair by myArmoury!         Reply with quote

Hello all, renn fair season is starting up again, And I was thinking that myArmoury could mount an invasion of historically accurate (or a hell of a lot better then the geniuses running around in the leather orc costumes and capes) persona!
I am in WV, and attend the Maryland renn fair. When I was there, I was a few members, and thought that coordinating an attendance would be a worthwhile proposition.
I'm looking at sometime in mid-late September. Who could make it?

Here's the link to their website. http://www.rennfest.com/index.php

Since its a RENAISSANCE fair after all, renn period kits are preferred, But anything really goes.
Any takers?

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might potentially go if there was a contingent to meet up with, hang out and learn from but if you're looking for people to specifically dress up.....I'm probably not your guy. ;-)
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was under the impression that no weapons were allowed at the Maryland Ren Faire. Has this changed? I tend to avoid weapons-unfriendly faires. Worried
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can understand why weapons might be frowned upon at these events.
"My Ninja-Conan-Highlander-Claymore-Katana is better than yours!"
whack whack whack...
T Franks

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I plan on wearing my Gallic kit next year. Maybe a little out of place, but i'm not so worried about that. I guess weapons have to be "peace-tied." I guess that means no spears? Sad
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went to my last Ren Faire here in Georgia a few months back. After 25 years of going, I won't be attending any in the future just because they've gotten really customer-unfriendly over the last few years - definately no longer familiy-oriented in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I won't tally all of the reasons, as many here probably already know them - but I've sworn not to support Big Renaissance Ninja Pirate Faires Incorportated with any more of my money.

It might be better to set up a myArmoury living history event outside any association with any type of faire. Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I'm sorry you feel the way you do about the Georgia fair JE, but the Maryland one was a fun time for me. Sure, I wasn't expecting historical accuracy, but hey, it's a renn fair.
And you wouldn't HAVE to dress up, just would be a preference. And yeah, Maryland fair isn't so hot on weapons. NONE, ZIP.
That was the most annoying part for me.
But I had a good time when I was there. I just think it wouldn't be a bad thing for a couple members of myArmoury to meet up for a day of fun (and gawking at the orc armour types Laughing Out Loud )

Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, for the strictly weapon inclined, there is this.

http://www.medievalfantasiesco.com/GreenHill.htm

I would be fine to meat at this fair instead. I've never been there, but it looks pretty neat.
Throw out your opinions all.

William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Quarantillo wrote:
Ok, for the strictly weapon inclined, there is this.

http://www.medievalfantasiesco.com/GreenHill.htm

I would be fine to meat at this fair instead. I've never been there, but it looks pretty neat.
Throw out your opinions all.

Our group (Roanoke Sword Guilde) will be there (as we've done for the past 5 years) set-up with a display of antique swords (oldest one dates c.1490) and functional repro's and we also will be doing cutting demos (with the antiques too) and German longsword techniques / controlled sparring.

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
... Ninja-Conan-Highlander-Claymore-Katana...
whack whack whack...

Good job, now I want one! Laughing Out Loud
And hey, at least you guys get some sort of fair/living history event. Poor Tasmania doesn't get squat! Mainlander's and their bigger populations *grumble*...

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always wondered why you guys on that side of the mud pond tend to call these events Ren Fairs, even though they are not set in the Renaissance period...?

Over here, we have _medieval_ fairs and they are "themed" each year to a specific time period around 12th - 15th century, even down to year. There's only one event that I know of that is set in early 17th century (so-called Hakkapeliitta event).

Of course, this doesn't stop some people from showing up carrying rapiers or musketeer hats, but they are in definite minority (as in 1-2 in 5 000). Of course, most of the visitors aren't wearing any costumes at all.

P.S. What is this talk about the fair season starting up? We just had the last one for the summer this past weekend and I have to wait until next summer for more of the fun...
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marko Susimetsa wrote:
I've always wondered why you guys on that side of the mud pond tend to call these events Ren Fairs, even though they are not set in the Renaissance period...?

Over here, we have _medieval_ fairs and they are "themed" each year to a specific time period around 12th - 15th century, even down to year. There's only one event that I know of that is set in early 17th century (so-called Hakkapeliitta event).

Of course, this doesn't stop some people from showing up carrying rapiers or musketeer hats, but they are in definite minority (as in 1-2 in 5 000). Of course, most of the visitors aren't wearing any costumes at all.

P.S. What is this talk about the fair season starting up? We just had the last one for the summer this past weekend and I have to wait until next summer for more of the fun...

I really have no idea personally. When I went to my first one in 1984 - it was actually themed in the Renaissance and the only goods tht could be sold were ones that the vendors actually made. We used to have a real blacksmithy, homemade food, a real guy weaving chainmaille, etc. Now? We have pirates, ninjas, highlanders, Jedi, and even a Klingon or two walking around. The vendors all sell drastically overpriced stainless steel swords, imported butted chainmail, beer on tap, Emo/Goth clothing, and hammock chairs. I've not seen anything remotely authentic to anything historical in many, many years.

Your faires sound better by a long shot. Happy

I can't speak for others, but as far as faire season here goes, we traditionally have faires that begin in early spring and run though late autumn. For us, we have the small Raliegh, NC faire in early April, then the Georgia Faire begins in April and runs though June, we have Dragon*Con on Labor Day weekend (which some people consider to be a faire activity - most local period re-enactors/WMA guys I know get together there at some point over the weekend), and lastly the Carolina Renaissance Faire from early October until late November. There are some other smaller faires which are on and off, such as Asheville, NC and Florence, AL - but they are pretty inconsistant. I know people that travel to faires in MN, TX, MD, and WI around this same time - but there's no way I'd drive 900 miles for such a thing.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fairs in the upper Midwest tend to coincide with harvest. Our Minnesota County fairs are done and the State fair starts this week. The Minnesota Renaissance Festival tends to stick with the late summer / early fall timing common in this area.

I'm sorry to hear about other festivals around the country. Sad The MN festival does have its share of fairies and pirates, but I always noticed a decent amount of people in period clothing. There's your SCAdians, Scottish, Viking, etc. all in an honest attempt at period appropriate clothing.

I always get a kick when I see the dudes in studded black leather armour walking around with "claymores" strapped to their back. Laughing Out Loud To each their own...

Our festival has remained weapon friendly, with peace tie of course. They are also very animal friendly. I've always had a good time attending the last 20 years off-and-on. I don't attend in armour like I used to, it's far easier catching your children in street clothing. Wink

It seems the general public has a very loose interpretation of "Renaissance" on this side of the pond. You'll see kits from 600 AD to 1700 AD! Eek!

Of course my highlight every year is watching the jousting exhibition and drooling at the Arms & Armour booth. Happy

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Christopher Gregg

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife and I absolutely LOVE going to the Bristol Faire in WI (above Chicago, IL). It seems a great majority of the patrons make some attempt at dressing up, which really adds to the historical faire theme. Sure, there's your obligatory black leather warriors, fairies, chainmaile bikini girls, fantasy creatures and such, but a great many of the participants (patrons), dress in reasonably plausible late Medieval or Renaissance inspired clothing, some of which are pretty decent. Happy

I make an attempt to dress in the mid to late 1500's fashion, although my costuming is made up of things I purchased at the faire, and is still definitely renaissance faire-themed (meaning not that heavy on REAL historical accuracy, but at 25 feet, I'd pass in a crowd). The Bristol cast looks quite good, and I often tell first timers that it's like stepping onto a movie set. Plus, all the cast, performers and more enthusiastic participants (me included) really make a great attempt at creating the atmosphere of a real renaissance festival (if one has to use their imagination for comparison).

Bristol also allows peace tied weapons, and to top it all off, Arms and Armor has a nice booth there, with many of their fine, accurate weapons to handle and admire (and purchase, let's not forget!).

My first faire was the Southern Ohio Renaissance Festival, and although Arms and Armor does not set up there any more, I still enjoy making the trip (it's much closer to my Louisville home than Wisconsin, BTW). Any place I can wear and discuss my Arms and Armor, Del Tin, and Albion products is a special place for me, and getting the chance to escape my everyday modern life for a bit is a treat indeed.

It would be nice if at some time in the future, we myArmoury-ites could actually organize a get together for those of us interested in reenacting historically-based scenarios in a mock historical setting, maybe something similar to a cross between an SCA event, a Ren Faire, and a historical living history event. That would be really sweet! Cool

Until that day, I'll continue to wring the most enjoyment out of the half dozen or so different Ren Faires we attend each year.

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
Our festival has remained weapon friendly, with peace tie of course.

Christopher Gregg wrote:
Bristol also allows peace tied weapons

Curious. All the events I have been to so far (in The Netherlands) did not require peace ties. You can simply carry your weapon as you would normally. However, events are required to get a permit that allows visitors to carry weapons.
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Scott Hrouda wrote:
Our festival has remained weapon friendly, with peace tie of course.

Christopher Gregg wrote:
Bristol also allows peace tied weapons

Curious. All the events I have been to so far (in The Netherlands) did not require peace ties. You can simply carry your weapon as you would normally. However, events are required to get a permit that allows visitors to carry weapons.

even sharps ?

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andreas Auer wrote:
even sharps ?

I've carried both sharp and rebated weapons and have never been checked for "sharpness". Knowing the rules, I've always arrived with the weapon peace tied in scabbard. They simply check that the tie has a really solid knot and sometimes add a special zip-tie. The whole idea is to make it difficult or impossible for the inebriate to pull his weapon. Some guys get a little macho in their black studded leather fantasy armour after 12 beers.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Jeff Del Vecchio

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My family and friends and I have been fans of the Carolina Renaissance Fair for a long time, until...I believe it was two years ago...the joust ended with the "pirate" shooting the "knight," complete with stage blood....my young grandchildren were shocked...

The fair used to be set in 1533, but they don't deal with that much anymore. Too bad, it was good while it lasted. My family and friends had a good time making "sort of" period costumes (actually not too bad... as we learned more), and getting together for each year's fair.

Peace tied weapons, no animals, ...I hope someday it goes back to the fun, educational experience it was.

Maybe it needs a "myArmoury takeover."
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in a guild that does about five or six faires a season (March through October out here in California). Most faires require peace-ties...but they don't really check hard if you're a performer/actor rather than a patron. Most of the time I get buy with a square not tie and no one even notices. I carry all sharps...because I can. :-)

We do sparring (with wasters or blunts) and teach kids and many adults some sword moves. We also have armored fights and give patrons a chance to hold a real sword...which some have never done. Lots of fun each summer for us.
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andreas Auer wrote:
even sharps ?

As far as I know, yes. There is no weapons check of any kind at the entrance. None in my group carry sharps, but they are sold by the merchants at the event. So, I presume yes. I carried a sharp spear once though.

The only weapons check I have seen is for rebated steel combat, making sure that there aren't too many sharp burrs. Basically the test consist of running the blade through your bare hand. If you bleed, the weapon isn't good.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Takeover of the renn fair by myArmoury!
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: