Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Pillars of the Earth miniseries premier on 07/23/2010. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: The Pillars of the Earth miniseries premier on 07/23/2010.         Reply with quote

Ridley Scott has produced an 8-part mini-series of Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" and episode one premieres Friday, July 23rd.

I watched a 30 minute special on the production of the mini-series and it looks like it has potential to do the book justice. Probably not too close as far as historical accuracy is concerned but then, what Ridley Scott production ever is?

It seems pretty well cast for some of the central figures and the guy who played Al Swearingen in HBO's Deadwood is in it. The Pillars of the Earth is a Starz production but it's showing on Encore here. I'm really looking forward to it!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ug I'll never get to see it. all the good shows go to HBO etc.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Canadian network showing that series came to our salle last week to shoot some theme & promo stuff. The team they brought got an hour lesson in swordplay, got to chop up some tatami and watermelons and then interviewed a couple of us. In return, they gave us prerelease copies of the first two episodes! Aside from Ian McShane (Al Swearengen from Deadwood) a couple fine Canadian actors Donald Sutherland and Gordon Pinsent have supporting roles.

Loved it - good brain candy once you get over the historical train wrecks in the sets, costumes and stunt fighting. Its entertainment - nothing more. Cool
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jul, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I very much enjoyed the book and would like to see this miniseries. But, no cable at home, so I must wait for DVD release.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bruno Cerkuenik

PostPosted: Wed 18 Aug, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the scenery is quite good, but armours and swordsmanship is not.

nobles wearing Roman armour? Fighting with longswords at 1140?

I even saw a soldier wearing an ibelin tunic!

Maybe R. Scott granted them the tunics used at KoH..

www.arsgladiatoria.wordpress.com
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 Aug, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have watched the first four episodes and am not very impressed. Unfortunately this show is like a lot of "mini-series" which, with 8 hours or so to fill, stumble around a lot, looking for a thread of a story and not really finding it. I prefer motion pictures which have to have a beginning, a middle and an end, all wrapped up in 3 hours or less. Lord of the Rings was an exception, mainly because the work it was taken from was monumental to start with and Peter Jackson and company stuck to the story line. I don't see a lot of authenticity in the equippage and, as so often happens, the main characters go into battle without helms or even stocking caps.

All that said, it is mildly entertaining and I will watch the rest of it.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 Aug, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yea it is a fun show. Like it was said before, the backdrop is beautiful.
Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 Aug, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since Ridley Scott is one of the executive producers, it's not suprising to see some of the KoH stuff re-used. Some of the clothing and armor looks ok - most looks bad. I've not seen a sword yet that looked like anything other than a poorly made alumnium prop job. The weapons and armor are ghastly. Greco-Roman mixed in with maille hauberks mist in with Conan the Barbarian looking leathers. Ick... Cry

As for the story line, my wife (who read the book last year) says that the mini-series is pretty close to how the book goes - so as far as it being dragged out, blame that on the author, not the director. I enjoy the movie because it's not your stereotypical storyline of some knight rescuing a damsel in distress, pulling a sword from a stone, or slaying a dragon. The political intrigue, conflicts, and plot are pretty authentic in my opinion - inspired by history so to speak. It's interesting to see conflicts over stone and wool instead of a horde of gold. Or, the plot point to where the young boy has to buy his own armor, horses, and weapons to become a knight. Or how the church shifts and changes alliances with the power structure to stay on the good side. All little hints of truth about how some history actually was.

For what they are working with versus the story they are telling, I think they have done a pretty good job - my wife and I find it enjoyable, even if the costume/prop design is off a bit (which it ALWAYS is). It's better than the Tudors at any rate... Laughing Out Loud

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Pillars of the Earth miniseries premier on 07/23/2010.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic