Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Part of the fun is waiting Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Part of the fun is waiting         Reply with quote

I posted that I had ordered an Albion Baron after the 4th of July . Part of ordering a sword from Albion is the long wait for it to arrive. The "pins and needles" effect I call it. This is part of the thrill of ordering a sword from them. After patiently waiting for it to arrive and counting the days nervously it is a real thrill when it finally does arrive. Anyone else feel like this when ordering a sword and then waiting for it to arrive?
To Study The Edge of History

Last edited by Harry J. Fletcher on Fri 13 Aug, 2010 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wouldn't call it "fun" per se. I recently ordered a Hanwei Bone Handled Swept Hilt Rapier. It's no Albion, but I can't wait for it to arrive. I want it and I want it now. Big Grin

I want to play with my new toy ASAP, and although I've yet to feel cheated or to have bought a truly crappy sword (I've only bought three "real" swords, so take that as you will), part of me wants to have it in my hand just to know that I didn't waste my money.

Any day now, any day...
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh yeah.... I know this. "Waiting time is the hardest time..." When a sword finally arrives it is like they took something away from you: The pleasant anticipation of the weapon: how will it be to wield it? Is it as fine as imagined? How will be it's balance and handling? It's like being six years old again and waiting for christmas presents.

I've been waiting now since may for two Albion Maestro I.33. Now they are ready to ship according to Soeren and I am really, really looking forward to put them to good use Happy)

Regards, Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
J. Abernethy

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the wait! I take Joy in the process. If it came immediately I wouldnt appreciate it as much. When I finally recieve a sword Ive been waiting for, after a few days I start to miss the feelings of anticipation, and the day dreaming. I like having something to look forward to. So I will have to keep ordering swords. The worst thing to have happen, and its happened to me, is to wait over a year only to be disappointed. So enjoy your wonderlust!!!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have no darn use for the wait. To many other things to do in life, too many other fun things to do with spare money, and maybe not enough patience when it comes to a pointless hobby. So, anymore, I just watch the classifieds rather than sinking money into long term projects that I have to wait for. I find it gives me more flexiblity to respond to opportunies in a variety of interests, instead of being forced to pay attention to one exclusively.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sat 14 Aug, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Abernethy wrote:
I love the wait! I take Joy in the process. If it came immediately I wouldnt appreciate it as much. When I finally recieve a sword Ive been waiting for, after a few days I start to miss the feelings of anticipation, and the day dreaming. I like having something to look forward to. So I will have to keep ordering swords.

I agree - this is pretty much how I feel about buying swords. The anticipation of something new is something that I very much enjoy.

www.addisondelisle.com
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "wait" can be fun to a point. I get mostly custom swords and the "wait" is frustrating and annoying if there is no communication for long periods of time. It can be really fun if the maker is sending regular updates and work in progress photos. I think the finished project is more exciting when there is some context about it's creation. If a maker says it'll be 1 year for your sword and it takes longer it's fine, as long as the maker has taken the time to communicate why and a new due date has been established. If that doesn't happen it is very frustrating and I will usually not order from that person anymore. So I guess the "wait" is fun as long as it doesn't become epic with little or no communication about why.
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I never enjoy the wait... however, with custom swords I don't mind it... because I'm getting something one of a kind made for me, that is unique in the world.

With production swords, even ones as nice as Albion, waiting is annoying.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The wait is not too bad if the maker actually delivers on time which with custom work is almost never !

There are a few out there who seem to be able to deliver when they promise like Allan Senefelder of Mercenary Taylor's, Michael Pikula, Kult of Athena and OlliN. Albion is generally close to when they say they will deliver as is A & A and a few others I'm sure are very good with their customer service.

Oh, with custom work one must make the distinction between bad customer service where delays are excessive or one has to chase down the maker to get any information about one's purchase and the normal delays due to the project being more difficult/complex than expected or mishaps like a blade breaking in testing and having to be re-done.

So to get back to the Topic question: Yes to a degree the wait can be part of the fun if it also involves interesting design discussions with the maker during the process of making a custom piece that may evolve or change after mutual agreement that the changes where for ending up with a better product ....... at times the final sword ( or whatever ) is very different than the original concept since it evolves during the creative process.

Buying in stock still mean a wait in any case for the shipment to arrive and can be a nail bitter when the shipment get delayed by shipping company " SNAFUS " !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sun 15 Aug, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll go a step further. Not only do I not mind the wait, but I usually time the purchase so it arrives sometime before Christmas or some other appropriate day (I bust my butt all year long on various awful projects so I feel I earned my purchase), but when it arrives I don't even look at it then. I have my daughter check it out and make sure it's what I ordered and look for problems based on my description. She's very sharp and I can trust her judgment. Then it's put away for the big day. If for some reason I MUST look at it (since any major purchase needs to be inspected to some degree upon arrival so any defects can be corrected), I will actually squint my eyes tightly so I can only see that it is at least what I ordered, without seeing it's details clearly. This takes a lot of will power, but I kind of enjoy prolonging the self-denial. It makes me feel even more that I've earned it. Sounds weird I know, but there it is. I have a scabbard on order right know, and I'll do the same thing when it arrives.
A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Part of the fun is waiting
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic