Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Trouble with guantlets Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Trouble with guantlets         Reply with quote

I recently had taken off these really crummy leather gloves from my gauntlets and replaced them with some nice cowhide leather Happy I had made all the the tweaking that I wanted for the gloves but have now come into the problem with attaching them to the gauntlets themselves Mad My girlfriend has spent countless hours trying to sew these things on and there just not cooperating. The gauntlets don't have a lot of leather to work with and my gloves fit really snug with my hands, making the stitching feel tight around my fingers.

So I took what little of the stitching iv done and have gone back to square one. I have thought about maybe having leather loops around the fingers to were I can slip the gloves through, or perhaps gluing them on. I can't decide what would be best.

Attachment: 71.27 KB
40702_1547399289189_1361266664_1479071_5785986_n.jpg

Attachment: 80.4 KB
40108_1547396929130_1361266664_1479057_7481410_n.jpg

Attachment: 61.89 KB
40352_1547400849228_1361266664_1479084_1319131_n.jpg

Attachment: 86.12 KB
40459_1547397969156_1361266664_1479069_2980162_n.jpg

Attachment: 63.79 KB
38885_1547398769176_1361266664_1479070_4171846_n.jpg

Brawn Barber

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there enough room between the leather and the steel to sneak some leather lacing through, or thin (say, 2-4 oz) leather straps to attach to the gloves? If not, you may need to add a few more rivets to those to attach your gloves.
Beltrán Pérez

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see a gauntlet glued with silicon. It`s not very orthodox, but it`s a solution, I think... Perhaps making little rings of leather riveting to the gauntlet fingers??
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stitch some leather tabs to the rivet leathers. Stitch the tabs to the glove. Or just get a bigger glove and use the slack to stitch on the rivet leathers.
Brawn Barber

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the problem he's having Kel is that he didn't leave enough of the leather on the gauntlets to be able to stitch to. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I get.
"Haltet den Kopf unten and den Hammer am Schwingen!"

http://facebook.com/medieval.armour
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may just have to pop those rivets off, re-rivet to a new base, and sew that base on to the new glove. I know you have access to a shop, so shouldn't be that hard...just time consuming...
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Need to try a different stich... the one you are using is sinching the leather tighter. You need to get a curved leather sewing needle and sew them in and out of the glove leather not the round and round you currently have.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brawn Barber wrote:
I think the problem he's having Kel is that he didn't leave enough of the leather on the gauntlets to be able to stitch to. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Yeah, Brawn I got that. I've seen this many times before. Its easier to pop a few stitches on a few leather tabs to fix them to the rivet foundation than it is to try to sew a glove finger onto the same little bit of leather. Also, people tend to use foundation leather that is far too thin or worse, use suede. It just tears out at the rivet. Sewing a tab on takes some tension off the rivets as it allows a bit of play under the plates. In addition, sewing fingers all the way down each side can create a problem. The connection is more durable when the finger joints move freely. A few stitches on either side of the phalanges is sufficient and endures less strain.

Like I said, I've seen it plenty times and had to fix it a few times for people that don't have a hand for sewing in tight spots.
Brawn Barber

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
Brawn Barber wrote:

Yeah, Brawn I got that. I've seen this many times before. Its easier to pop a few stitches on a few leather tabs to fix them to the rivet foundation than it is to try to sew a glove finger onto the same little bit of leather. Also, people tend to use foundation leather that is far too thin or worse, use suede. It just tears out at the rivet. Sewing a tab on takes some tension off the rivets as it allows a bit of play under the plates. In addition, sewing fingers all the way down each side can create a problem. The connection is more durable when the finger joints move freely. A few stitches on either side of the phalanges is sufficient and endures less strain.

Like I said, I've seen it plenty times and had to fix it a few times for people that don't have a hand for sewing in tight spots.

Agreed. I work mainly with Clamshells but the idea is the same that the strapping is generous enough to allow for a gloved hand rather than having it attached to the gauntlet.

"Haltet den Kopf unten and den Hammer am Schwingen!"

http://facebook.com/medieval.armour

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Trouble with guantlets
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic