Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Origin and users of the Savoyard (last burgonet question) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Origin and users of the Savoyard (last burgonet question)         Reply with quote

I was on a website (which i forgot) that said that the Savoyard burgonet originated in Germany. Then i clicked on the picture and it says perhaps germany which means they are not sure. My question is where did the Savoyard originate and who used it. Here are the users i so far know but are there others....... Italy.
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Origin and users of the Savoyard (last burgonet question         Reply with quote

Connor Lynch wrote:
I was on a website (which i forgot) that said that the Savoyard burgonet originated in Germany. Then i clicked on the picture and it says perhaps germany which means they are not sure. My question is where did the Savoyard originate and who used it. Here are the users i so far know but are there others....... Italy.

I'm pretty sure the Savoyard helmet originated in Savoy.

Pastime With Good Company
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I looked that up and its located on the border line between France and Italy. So it may have spread to other countries but i dont know what those countries would be. Other than France and Italy i dont know.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Connor,
Have you checked out our Spotlight Article on the burgonet? Regarding the Savoyard style it says:

Quote:
One late form of closed burgonet was common among 17th century heavy cavalry, and merits special mention because its form is so striking. This grim-looking, stylistically spare form, with cutouts for eyes, nose and mouth, so resembled a human skull that Germans and Austrians referred to it as a todenkopf (death's head) helmet. It is also known by the less dramatic names of Savoyard or Savoy helmet.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No i didnt read that but i have seen the spotlight article about the Burgonet. The only thing is that the Totenkopf had the skull design on the front. The Savoyard just had plain eye holes and no nose hole. With only a small breathing hole that is a smile. Not that i am confused im just saying the Savoyard doesnt look like a skull. Like this one.

Adam D. Kent-Isaac

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do not think that helmets which literally had the skull faced visor were ever made in any significant quantity. The term "totenkopf" is used to refer to crude fully-enclosing helmets with holes for the eyes and mouth in a generic sense. In other words, it's interchangeable with "Savoyard." Here are a bunch of pictures, which I hope can be of use to you.

A cruder version:

Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, i now understand , its just confusing when you see a skull design next to a design that looks simpler and call them both totenkopf. Savoyard is just another name for it i see it now.
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One minor question what was the small metal bar on the left side of the helmet`s mouth for? I have always wondered what that was. If you can tell me thanks alot i see them on all 16th/17th century helmets
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a lifting peg for raising the visor.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Origin and users of the Savoyard (last burgonet question)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic