Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > CAS/Hanwei #2004 mortuary hilt - no more? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: CAS/Hanwei #2004 mortuary hilt - no more?         Reply with quote

just notice a vendor's page showing the Hanwei #2004 (sharp) mortuary hilt as being dis-continued. So, had a look at CAS / Hanwei's site and did notice they only have the practical version listed.

Hmmmm......guess in time they'll drop the mortuary altogether?

My beloved mortuary hilts always seem to get no respect Sad .............................................

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: CAS/Hanwei #2004 mortuary hilt - no more?         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
just notice a vendor's page showing the Hanwei #2004 (sharp) mortuary hilt as being dis-continued. So, had a look at CAS / Hanwei's site and did notice they only have the practical version listed.

Hmmmm......guess in time they'll drop the mortuary altogether?

My beloved mortuary hilts always seem to get no respect Sad .............................................

It has been out of stock for some time. My guess is the practical version did not sell as well as the sharp one, which is why they still have some of those. I got one last year. It is a nice sword but a bit light for efficient cutting I think. They still have the Cromwell version if you want to pay the price.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got one the first Cromwell's to hit the block 3 years ago.

It just saddens me that this beautiful style / make / type of basket-hilt gets hardly any recognition or merit.....

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm curious if the sales for the practical weren't actually higher than for the sharp... I've never seen a sharp in person, but have had my hands on over a dozen of the practicals (enough to notice some generational improvement in the product). But my perspective may be a special case.
Ottawa Swordplay
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Bill, one could hope that maybe it is a prelude to an even better mortuary. Your mentioning it now somewhat prompts me jump on one before they are gone forever. There have been several reproductions that disappeared over the years that may have better off in the hand instead of wondering why I didn't.

Cheers

GC
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Well Bill, one could hope that maybe it is a prelude to an even better mortuary. Your mentioning it now somewhat prompts me jump on one before they are gone forever. There have been several reproductions that disappeared over the years that may have better off in the hand instead of wondering why I didn't.

Cheers

GC

One could only hope Glen.......Armour Class are still the best makers.

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm, I should go and buy another practical one just in case. I've been fighting with mine now for just over 4 years, had to have the basket reinforced after 2.5 years, and after 3 years need the tang reforged and the pommel done in a more traditional way. But I really like them for fencing. Hope that they come out with a new one if they yank it.
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This was was one of those that was always on my "to purchase" list. I kept putting it off for other things. Too bad, it looked like a nifty piece.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are plenty of the sh2004 swords (both plain and antiqued) on Ebay and some other sites. One Canadian wholesaler offering them at $134 plus Canadian shipping costs. This was momentarily tempting but there is just so much out there on my lists and current costs. then you post up primo 1902 finds and I am in even more trouble in checking a favorite listing (Horster 1902) then and bumping into a couple of other possibles. I am doomed.

twitch... twitch

GC
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
There are plenty of the sh2004 swords (both plain and antiqued) on Ebay and some other sites. One Canadian wholesaler offering them at $134 plus Canadian shipping costs. This was momentarily tempting but there is just so much out there on my lists and current costs. then you post up primo 1902 finds and I am in even more trouble in checking a favorite listing (Horster 1902) then and bumping into a couple of other possibles. I am doomed.

twitch... twitch

GC

I'm guessing your referring to the vintage Springfield M1902 I just acquired the other day........I fell to temptation with that one definitely.

My thing again is that, the mortuary hilt sword doesn't seem to get much attention from collectors, makers, enthusiast, etc. Scottish basket-hilts generally soak up the majority of interest, Schiavona's (which are truly lovely) also get time in the Sun, mortuary's........ neglected with not so much or even any exposure at all.

I do my best, but seems to fall on deaf ears.............

cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Stephen Wheatley

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Mortuary/Proto mortuary         Reply with quote

In the process of making a couple of these at the moment, purely for my own amusement. Have made a number of proto-mortuarys so this seems to be the logical progression. I prefer a beefier blade and hilt than the Hanwei offering and will post the results when nearing completion. Meanwhile have a look at the protos on page 1! I must point out that I'm not offering anything for sale, these are just for my own collection - nobody except perhaps Armourclass seem to do the munitions-grade stuff that probably accounted for 90% of 17th C sword production.

Steve Wheatley

Stephen Wheatley
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

excellent Steve...look forward to seeing the mortuary creations. The more mortuary hilts the better in my book Wink

cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Jack W. Englund

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was "LUCKY" Awhile back I got 1, & on sale for $200.00 incl.frt.
It is the "sharp version, & it is my "to go" . Basket Hilt

Jack.
Hal Siegel
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to confirm from a leading Hanwei dealer - yes, the sharp mortuary swords are discontinued and most retailers and distributors are out of the polished version - there still a couple of the antiqued versions to be had. The blunt practical mortuarys are not going away any time soon (as far as I know.)
Hal Siegel - TherionArms
http://www.therionarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/TherionArms
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any word as to if there will be a replacement. I know they have the Cromwell, however there is something appealing about a simpler mortuary such as the last one.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > CAS/Hanwei #2004 mortuary hilt - no more?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic