Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom Scabbard for Albion Burgundian Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Custom Scabbard for Albion Burgundian         Reply with quote

Here is another Albion we did.

Comments?

www.valiant-armoury.com
www.customswordshoppe.com
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice; I like the way the detailing on the top of the chape interacts with the lines on the scabbard.

As a side note I personally preferred your other style of photography a little better. I'm not a photographer so I can't really say what's off but lighting looks like it's either reflecting too harshly off your background or it's washing out the metal and leather, and overall is not as complementary to your work as your previous backdrop and lighting setup was.

www.addisondelisle.com
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Honestly I am no photographer. I would just walk outside and throw down a white box , the sword and take the picture. On the AT 1432 I bought a piece of tan cloth for a backdrop. It seemed to work better. this photo was taken before that one.
www.valiant-armoury.com
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I think its brilliant! Wink

Worth noting that part of the point of this project was to show that Sonny could work creatively around furniture (buckles and such) other than his standard line, neatly and easily when asked. Once again, very fast turn around, very remarkable price, very nice work on the project!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice looking work ....
Randy Westgate
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Somehow I think a standard 15th century scabbard with knotted belts seems more appropriate for this beautiful 15th century sword. Suspension system looks similar to 14th century ones, and scabbard throat also reminds me of much earlier designs. But that's my opinion.

I was thinking something in this line, Albion's Regent scabbard:

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blaz Berlec wrote:
Somehow I think a standard 15th century scabbard with knotted belts seems more appropriate for this beautiful 15th century sword. Suspension system looks similar to 14th century ones, and scabbard throat also reminds me of much earlier designs. But that's my opinion.

I was thinking something in this line, Albion's Regent scabbard:

Sometimes Scabbard makers just make what their customers order. Were willing to make any type scabbard and suspension. Even the one pictured. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

www.valiant-armoury.com
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right or wrong stylistically for the period of the Burgundian, I did not want a suspension like the Albion made scabbard inserted into this thread (which cost over 5x as much as this one did). I've had several of similar scabbards from several different vendors and have found them all to be very inconvenient for the realities of where I might get to use the man jewelry in question. Incidently, Sonny has done a very nice scabbard similar to that Albion sample for me too (different project).

This time I wanted something different. Something that would meet specific requirements for the reality of where I live, and Sonny made me what I asked for.

The thing that has to be appreciated, is that in most of the US, there is no living history or re-enactment movement worth mentioning for medieval periods. Stuff here is Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, Indian Wars, WWII, SCA, or LARP. Other groups are scattered and extremely thin on the ground. This stuff will get worn to the ren faire or at Halloween, if it gets worn at all. I honestly doubt that this kit will ever see any kind of living history event, and if it does, the pool of knowledge will not be deep. Accurate medievalism is just an obscure hobby. At a ren faire, a scabbard that leaves two feet of sword trailing perpendicular from the body nearly three feet off the ground, just does not work well in crowds, and in crowded shops. Moreover, when you get right down to it, about 1% of 1% of 1% of the people in the US that this sword and scabbard might come into contact with will care about anything other than it being cool.

That being the case, I asked for something that would meet a functional requirement of being able to hang vertically against my body in a crowd, something that showed Sonny's creative flair, that was a bit different, and that resembled something potentially historic. Period accuracy was not requested for this project.

This work should be considered as art, or perhaps as craft, on its own merits. It is not an attempt to replicate history and has not been claimed as such. In my opinon as the recipient of the finished product, it is very well done, at an exceptionally competitive price.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the leatherwork and the scabbard as a whole looks great. Happy
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
B. Stark
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jul, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well put Joe.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jul, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very good looking scabbard in my book. Congrats on owning her Joe and kudos to you Sonny for doing wonderful work. I actually have the same concerns as you Joe as far as wearing a scabbard. Is there any way I can get a picture of the sword on you to see how it hangs and the suspension works?
Winter is coming
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one technical difficulty, I've lost enough weight that I need to punch some new holes in the belt and I wore out my leather punch. Once I get around to getting a new one I can post something up.

Now, I can tell you from holding the belt closed is that the whole rig rests parallel with my leg, right along side of it. Also, one thing you have to keep in mind with something like this is how tall you are compared to the length of the sword. I'm tall enough to make this arrangement work but not everyone could fo it with this sword. Of course, there are shorter swords in the Albion line. I can neatly rest my hand on the grip or use the pommel as a nice arm rest for my left forearm. Weight seems to be evenly distributed and it all seems comfortable. The downward hanging support belts really allow it to hug my left leg and move naturally with me as I walk, and as mentioned, that's with me holding the belt into buckled position.

-Joe

Last edited by Joe Fults on Fri 30 Jul, 2010 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, Joe, thats a pretty nice problem to have. If you need to borrow some fat to 'pad up' you may have some of mine. Sad

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom Scabbard for Albion Burgundian
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic