Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New from Christian Fletcher Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: New from Christian Fletcher         Reply with quote

Here's a new one from Christian Fletcher, made for one Eric Hankins.

This is a rather nice late period viking style sword that Christian has put together on an Atrim blade.

Over on SFI Mr. Hankins has stated that he'll be covering the scabbard with..................fur! I hope he changes his mind since this is a nice scabbard as is. Not to mention the fact that I absolutely *abhor* fur, or hair, on scabbards. I mean, it's almost as bad as screwing up a sword by mounting it with a sissified compound hilt Eek!

Nice one by Christian.

(I'm glad that I proof read before posting, as I had mis-spelled Christian to read Christina!)

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the style of the guard on this one. For some reason that shape has always appealed to me. I think though, I would have put it on a type XII blade, that is just personal preference though. The pummel looks to be very well done, but I think a wheel pummel would have been a better bet, again just me though.

Well Patrick, I'm afraid I'm going to have to be argumentative still further, and say that I like the idea of a scabbard with fur. I have a bowie knife with a sheath made of fake deer fur, that I think is awesome. I have seen some really nice sword scabbards as well, Patrick Barta has some very nice ones. Personally I think it gives the thing a more rustic or barbaric look. But, to each his own. I will say that I agree with you that this swords owner really should not attempt to cover the scabbard with fur now, that should have been done at the beginning if done at all, to do it now would just ruin the scabbard. It also would not look very well on this particular sword.
Thanks for sharing the pic with us. Happy

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Well Patrick, I'm afraid I'm going to have to be argumentative still further, and say that I like the idea of a scabbard with fur."

Nasty and ridiculous!

I love the look of Patrick Barta's swords, but I find those hairy scabbards to be completely hideous. There's no historical president for it, not to mention that all manner of things would hibernate and grow in there during field use. Come to think of it, that's probably one of the reasons why there's no historic president, hmmmm?

Anyone who's going for a rustic look hasn't done enough research into Viking clothing, ship building, architecture, and etc. These weren't rustic people. They loved fashion and ornament just like any other culture of the time. Any warrior showing up at a holmganga with a furry scabbard probably would've been called the Nordic equivalent of a girly man!

If you're going for a Conan interpretation then great, but a viking? No way.

To each his own Big Grin

Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Nasty and ridiculous!

I love the look of Patrick Barta's swords, but I find those hairy scabbards to be completely hideous. There's no historical president for it, not to mention that all manner of things would hibernate and grow in there during field use.

I am sure Patrick Bartį knows his stuff, but if a customer requests his scabbard to be covered in fur or in chiffon rosč with flowers printed on it, he will nod and do it, regardless how ridiculous he thinks it is - the customer is king, no? Wink
Jessica S.

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Markus Haider wrote:

I am sure Patrick Bartį knows his stuff, but if a customer requests his scabbard to be covered in fur or in chiffon rosč with flowers printed on it, he will nod and do it, regardless how ridiculous he thinks it is - the customer is king, no? Wink

Hi Markus,

I hope to get this terrible picture (chiffon scabbard) soon out of my mind, because every time my thoughts wander to this idea and I can't help laughing :-) It's all your fault :-)

If fire does not cure it, a sword will.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fuzzy wuzzy wuz a bear- fuzzy wuzzy had no hair. If fuzzy wuzzy had no hair he wasnt very fuzzy wuz he?
Think about it. . .
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Markus Haider wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Nasty and ridiculous!

I love the look of Patrick Barta's swords, but I find those hairy scabbards to be completely hideous. There's no historical president for it, not to mention that all manner of things would hibernate and grow in there during field use.

I'm not questioning Mr. Barta's knowledge in the least. If a customer wants his scabbard to look like a holstien cow it's entirely up to him!

Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

If you're going for a Conan interpretation then great, but a viking? No way.

Surprised CONAN! OOH! That's just low! Razz
I don't know, I have no doubt you know your stuff, so for not i will defer to your superior knowledge,for now. I think I will have to put some thought and research into this, and get back to you at a later date.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are there any larger shots of just the hilt available? Christian?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Markus Haider wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Nasty and ridiculous!

Hey Markus...
I'm not sure if you have ever done business with Patrick Barta. If you have and you got the impression that he would make something ridiculous, then your experience is in direct contradiction with mine. One of the things that really impressed me when dealing with Patrick was his desire to do work that is true to each historical period. I wanted him to make a sword that I had designed as a mixture of different aspects of several swords spanning about two centuries. After several give and take sessions (where he was obviously trying to get me to stay within the same century) it became clear that Patrick is a historian as well as an artist. He even voluteered to travel to museums, in some cases hundreds of miles away, to research an issue we were discussing. Crafting swords seemed to be an outworking of an academic study rather than a simple business venture. May his tribe increase.

I suppose that if someone wanted to pay an outrageous price, Barta may make something ridiculous. I suspect that he would not enjoy it and I doubt it would bear his mark. I must say that I got the distinct impression that Patrick would not just "nod and do it, regardless how ridiculous he thinks it is."
Not trying to be contentious... just my experience.

As to hairy scabbards, I don't know. It may be that Barta spent so much time investigating swords that he did not have time to research scabbards. Or it may be that we do not know how hairy the scabbards were because the hair was not preserved. Or it may be that the cow hair hide was not so barbaric because they had very nice gold and silver mountings to compliment the warm cream and brown colors of the hide.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Are there any larger shots of just the hilt available? Christian?

I'd also like to see closer shots of the hilt. I'd like to know how Christian secured the pommel. It looks to be two-piece but I don't see any rivets.

Guys,

Let's not hijack this thread with a hairy scabbard/Patrick Barta debate. If that's the goal creating a new thread might be better.

Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: New from Christian Fletcher         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

This is a rather nice late period viking style sword that Christian has put together on an Atrim blade.

Over on SFI Mr. Hankins has stated that he'll be covering the scabbard with..................fur! I hope he changes his mind since this is a nice scabbard as is. Not to mention the fact that I absolutely *abhor* fur, or hair, on scabbards. I mean, it's almost as bad as screwing up a sword by mounting it with a sissified compound hilt Eek!

Nice one by Christian.

(I'm glad that I proof read before posting, as I had mis-spelled Christian to read Christina!)

Hey Patrick...
You started the thread about fur covered scabbards... so how could a discussion about hairy scabbards be a highjacking? Confused

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: New from Christian Fletcher         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Nice one by Christian.

Hey Patrick...
You started the thread about fur covered scabbards... so how could a discussion about hairy scabbards be a highjacking? Confused

ks

You're absolutely right Kirk, and I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone in particular. To be exact, I didn't start the thread with fur covered scabbards as the main point of interest. The feature was intended to be the sword itself, with a side comment on the scabbard issue. (Mainly an attempt at humor BTW) However, as is often the case we have taken the thread in a different direction than I had intended (which is admittedly my fault). My whole point is that, in order to maintain the focus of this particular thread (which was supposed to be the sword itself) maybe we should take the scabbard issue to a new thread. I'm sure that the issue of appropriate scabbard coverings would be a large topic all by itself.

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Tue 17 Aug, 2004 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got it...

Keep up the good team work Patrick.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Markus Haider

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:

Hey Markus...
I'm not sure if you have ever done business with Patrick Barta. If you have and you got the impression that he would make something ridiculous, then your experience is in direct contradiction with mine. One of the things that really impressed me when dealing with Patrick was his desire to do work that is true to each historical period.
ks

As a matter of fact, I have a sword on order from him for over a year now, yes Happy
I think you misunderstood me, a bit at least. I know that he takes it very seriously, but if a customer wants something done, than I think he would do it, even if he doesn't like it very much (at least my impression from him is that he tries to satisfy the customer) - especially when it comes "only" to the decorations rather than the sword itself, but I know that he rather likes to make swords along an original than making some semi-fantasy piece.

Edit:
Sorry Patrick for another post of the Bartą-thing rather than the beautiful sword by Christian here, read your post a bit too late to take it to PM Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New from Christian Fletcher
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic