Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ironclad movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Ironclad movie         Reply with quote

So I was told about this movie, Ironclad, which soon will be released and was surprised I did not remember anything about it here on myArmoury.

Here is the trailer-

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/ironclad/early-trailer

Thought some might find it interesting. Wish movie makers would drop the funny stud decorated leather armour, leather aketons and general odd costuming.

Plot seems interesting but really cannot find much else out about it.

RPM
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks really historically accurate! Must be a Ridley Scott film! Laughing Out Loud Of course, I'm so starved for anything in that genre, I'll probly rent it anyway!
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Stratton made the bows; so at least they're good! Happy

I think James Purefoy is overcompensating with that sword, though!
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is not Ridley film (which may be a good thing). Good to know at least the bows are good.... Hope Steve had fun making them all. Looks to be a great deal of them in the trailer.

RPM

Last edited by Randall Moffett on Mon 21 Jun, 2010 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is it like a crusader film?
Joshua R

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The blip of text on the trailer before you start it says that it's about a group of Templars holding a castle against "the tyrannical" King John.
" For Augustus, and after him Tiberius, more interested in establishing and increasing their own power than in promoting the public good, began to disarm the Roman people (in order to make them more passive under their tyranny).... "
-N. Machiavelli, The Art of War
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably very very loosely historical if at all but if the story is good, why not ? As long as one approaches it as " pseudo history " or alternate universe history one avoids a lot of frustration and one can enjoy it with a bit of turning a blind eye to minor nonsense.

Armour looks tend to be mostly costume designer fantasies combined with lack of expertise, caring little about period authenticity, what the designers think looks cool and " gritty/dirty " and budget considerations.

Fight scenes might be good " stage fighting " anything based on real technique would be a bonus and maybe some HEMA /longsword knowledge might be getting to some fight coordinators and they might include some that look cool if done in an exaggerated way that the general public might be able to appreciate: Real stuff at real speeds might not be understandable to the uneducated eye. Question WTF?! But sometimes I think this is underestimating the public as usual and that a fast effective technique might be "short " but impressive in it's efficient lethality i.e. long and stupid sword fights lasting multiple minutes as normal movie fare because it is thought to create tension and drama but at time a quick end of a fight could really make a character be perceived as very very dangerous ( could be the good guy or the bad guy ). Once this character's competence has been established a much longer fight would be more impressive since then the level of difficulty of fighting against this character would add to the drama of a final long drawn fight if the fight is clever.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm notoriously hard to please when it comes to movies. Big-budget action movies almost uniformly turn me off. Anything with choir music accompanying overhead shots of battles in the trailer is generally a tip-off to me that I'm not going to like it. After watching films like Cromwell and Barry Lyndon where the only battlefield music comes from the pipes and drums marching into battle, any movie with an overwrought orchestral score and bombastic choir music swells accompanying melee combat seems horrendously fake and cheezy to me. Non-period or made-up armour and costumes look as silly to me as a movie about the American Revolution with troops wearing camo fatigues would. So...probably won't be watching this one.

When a medieval movie comes out that the members of this forum praise unanimously, then I'll watch it!

Pastime With Good Company
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Adam, try a film called 'Arn', it's Danish I think and seemed to recieve pretty good reviews.
Oh, and for something more old-school, try 'The Seventh Seal'.
Just my opinion.

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Dave Leppo

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233301/

IMDb link, for what it's worth

-Dave
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I saw this title, I thought it would be about the 1860s era ironclad warships.

Oh, well...

Anyway, as far as historical accuracy goes, did anyone notice the double-bladed axe? Razz

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Spanjer wrote:
When I saw this title, I thought it would be about the 1860s era ironclad warships.

Oh, well...

Anyway, as far as historical accuracy goes, did anyone notice the double-bladed axe? Razz

Me too and that would be different seeing a film about ironclad warships of around 1866 like the Battle of Lissa:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lissa_(1866)

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Gordon Campbell wrote:
Hey Adam, try a film called 'Arn', it's Danish I think and seemed to recieve pretty good reviews.
Oh, and for something more old-school, try 'The Seventh Seal'.
Just my opinion.

The Arn films are actually Swedish productions. I've seen both and while they aren't bad, infact in some areas they are a cut above most Medieval period films (Albion did the swords being one highlight - no hand and a half hilts!) they still suffer from many of the usual problems, cliches etc that you see.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anything with James Purefoy and Paul Giamatti in it can't be too bad, I hope.

On subject of films with a vaguely historical setting, has anyone seen "Black Death" yet?
Tom Speight

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know this is a necro-post, since the thread went to sleep in 2010, but I just watched the film. It wasn't bad-- the centerpiece of the plot was the siege of Rochester Castle in Kent by King John's army during the war fought after he repudiated the Magna Carta.

There's a few oddities and anachronisms in it-- e.g. John's army is composed of Danes fighting for him in exchange for the Pope (who backed John) ceasing to send missionaries to Denmark--at this point, Denmark had been Christian for what, 200 years?

Lots of gore. More than Braveheart. This is not a family-friendly movie.

Paul Giamatti and Brian Cox did very well as King John and Baron Albany, respectively (as if we should expect anything else), and most of the supporting cast (Jason Flemyng, Jamie Foreman, Derek Jacobi, Aneurin Barnard) did pretty well too. I have to admit I wondered about the two-handed greatsword that Purefoy's character was toting around, but this isn't really my home period.

It was fun to play spot-the-weapon- I saw a fair bit of stuff used that I've seen here and on other forums, including a lot of close-ups of knives and daggers, and one character was making bits fly off of people with a Maciejowski chopper. The variety of axes was really interesting, and the overall level of realism in most of the weapons was pretty good. They did what looked to be a very good job of recreating the castle (as well they should-- it still exists, after all). We get to see trebuchets, scaling ladders, siege towers, and a sapper's mine.

The Danes weren't as well done as the English-- a little too much Viking and Road Warrior there, with a lot of Generic Leather Armor. Vladimir Kulich (the guy from The 13th Warrior) plays a Danish leader rather improbably named Tiberius.... and essentially repeats his previous role pose for pose and grunt for grunt.
Thomas Peters

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Ironclad???         Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the movie "The Seven Samurai". It is a Japanese movie that was made in 1954 and takes place in the year 1587. America did a remake of it called the Magnificent Seven. If you are not familiar with The Seven Samurai, watch it and then watch Ironclad and you will find it is nothing more than a remake of The Seven Samurai with a different story line.
Not a bad movie though it you like this type of film.

Tribe Woden Thor historical re-enactors.
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a copy of "Ironclad". There are no Hollywood "Pretty Boys" in it which makes it sort of a B movie. I enjoy a good yarn so total accuracy is not an issue. A Templar, about to be outcast, with one baron and 19 men at arms types are holding this castle against the Bad King John. A number of different weapons are spotlighted to include a two-handed something or other. That is a handsome sequence fairly early on in the defence. It does have blue painted Danes in it, and other Hollywood history additives. But then Hollywood does not write history. It is fun and well worth while to watch. However, we will all have out favorite elements to hate. All in all, a good yarn. It is in Redbox now. amd for sale at Wamart, $15.00. Enjoy.
The first casualty of battle is bravado, the second is macho.
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mister Peters, since "Magnificent Seven" every movie with a handful of fighters and a peasant is a remake of "Seven Samari" in some form or fashion. That's where suspention of belief, or disbelief comes in..
The first casualty of battle is bravado, the second is macho.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ironclad movie
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic