Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Photos: Running under the atttack and other things to do Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Photos: Running under the atttack and other things to do         Reply with quote

From our last Living History gig.

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."

Last edited by David Teague on Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is awesome! Thanks for posting.
Pastime With Good Company
Nicholas Rettig

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool, apparently the victor doesn't hold his fingers in very high regard though.
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Rettig wrote:
Very cool, apparently the victor doesn't hold his fingers in very high regard though.

Yes I do as you can half sword a sharp without losing your fingers. The system has a number of blade grabs both of our own sword or the opponent's. This is demo is straight from the period text.

'Run through, let it hang with the pommel. Grasp if you want to wrestle.
Who comes strongly at you, the running through then remember"

The "Von Danzig" Fechtbuch 1452

The key is to only grab the blade when it's static to your hand. If it's in motion, say bu-bye to the fingers. Eek!

Cheers,

David

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:

The key is to only grab the blade when it's static to your hand. If it's in motion, say bu-bye to the fingers. Eek!

Cheers,

David

I agree but the sword being static is often forgotten when using wooden wasters making sword grabs that would have been safe and finger losing sword grabs confused together and resulting in some trainers becoming dependant on sword grabs to win bouts ! ( Although winning bouts should not be a primary goal and learning what would work in a real fight more important if the art is studied as a martial art ).

The sword grabs if included in training should be tactically sound and as safe as if the sword grabbed was extremely sharp in my opinion.

Oh, most sword where not anywhere close to razor sharp so they would be very safe to hold as long as there was no sliding of the blade in the hand. Even a razor sharp blade can be safely held but " the pucker factor " is larger while the margin for error smaller if one want to avoid being cut with scary sharp swords.

Oh, I think a small shallow cut to the hand would in period in a real fight be considered a minor issue if it won the fight ! Losing fingers on the other hand is not very appealing in the long term after the fight and tactically negative short term if one can't hold one's weapon(s) or grab with the now useless hand if the hand losing the fingers was not the hand holding the weapon. ( Single handed sword or if two handed one now has only one hand to use ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Teague

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello All,

Part of our demo was to show some of the counters that can happen when both swordsmen try to wind and you end up in a high bind. (In other words, I've been given more photos of the event!)

From the bind:

Hende Drucken

Change direction, tag hit to the body to let out the guts then turn and lop off the head.

A simple kick to disrupt the bind, followed with a rain of blows as they stumble back

It's all good.

David Teague

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We set this demo up so we repeated each technique twice so people could see it from both sides. The loser would become the victim so to make it fair (and not all about ME)

When Ben wins with Durchlaufen:

Cheers,

David

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice sequence as the pics chosen at critical moments of the technique makes these easy to understand. Big Grin Cool

You could almost assemble a whole series of these and even with minimal captions they would be very useful in a book.

Obviously a DVD would also work but unless shot at a very high frame rate one just gets blurred images of swords in motion if one slows down the display rate: A lot can be inferred from a series of pics as long as all key frames are shown.

Normal speed DVD give a better feel for timing but I see a combination of normal speed, slow motion, key frame pics and captions would cover everything nicely.

Anyway if there was a book full of these covering most if not all of the techniques I would certainly buy it. Wink

There are other books already out there that are very good but at times the action is shown over too few pics, 2 to 4 when maybe
5 to 8 would be better depending on complexity of the action. Also, the clarity and quality of the photography makes a great deal of difference.

Oh oh, got " verbose " again but bottom line very nice work. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Photos: Running under the atttack and other things to do
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic