Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Centurian--New movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Centurian--New movie         Reply with quote

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/14/centurion...e-trailer/

Quote:
Official Plot Synopsis: CENTURION AD 117. The Roman Empire stretches from Egypt to Spain, and East as far as the Black Sea. But in northern Britain, the relentless onslaught of conquest has ground to a halt in face of the guerrilla tactics of an elusive enemy: the savage and terrifying tribes known as the Picts.

Quintus, sole survivor of a Pictish raid on a Roman frontier fort, marches north with General Virilus’ legendary Ninth Legion, under orders to wipe the Picts from the face of the earth and destroy their leader Gorlacon.

But when the legion is ambushed on unfamiliar ground, and Virilus taken captive, Quintus faces a desperate struggle to keep his small platoon alive behind enemy lines, evading remorseless Pict pursuers over harsh terrain, as the band of soldiers race to rescue their General, and to reach the safety of the Roman frontier.

From writer/director, Neil Marshall, CENTURION is a gripping survival thriller set against a background of conquest and invasion; a pursuit movie in the vein of Deliverance, Last of the Mohicans and Apocalypto.

CENTURION premieres on VOD, XBOX and Amazon.com on July 23 and opens in theaters August 27, 2010.

any opinions?
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wait for "Eagle of the Ninth," February, 2011.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sun 15 Aug, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i jsut finished watching this and i must say, i really liked it. roman arms and armor seemed accurate enough (though i'm sure others have a better eye for it). the thing that bothered me the most is that pict weapons seem to be made of some super metal that sliced though armor like butter.

i enjoyed the cast and saw a number of familiar faces. i believe it is already out in europe (at least on dvd) and therefore is available through the obvious outlets
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Aug, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Saw it a while back at a film festival in Montreal. Pretty good, not very original but entertaining. Dominic West was great as usual and Olga Kurylenko (the last James Bond girl) was pretty convincing as the crazy/vengeful mute pict huntress.

Edit : one thing I found is that it tried a bit too hard to look like the first sequence in Gladiator.

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
T Franks

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just watched this last night and I enjoyed it. I have to say the fight scenes were pretty graphic. Legs and arms flyin' everywhere, heads gettin' lopped off. It made Braveheart look like a kid's after school special, heh.
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wanted to see this when I first heard of it. Is it already in theators? Man time flys.
Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there going to be non-stop music during the battle scenes - overwrought orchestral swells and choir chanting? If so, I can't watch it. I can't take movies that do this. I really prefer minimal musical accompaniment to combat scenes.
Pastime With Good Company
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam D. Kent-Isaac wrote:
Is there going to be non-stop music during the battle scenes - overwrought orchestral swells and choir chanting? If so, I can't watch it. I can't take movies that do this. I really prefer minimal musical accompaniment to combat scenes.

Yes but good music stirs the emotions and most people like it. Wink Razz

Sure it could and can be overdone and too present in volume but maybe you are looking too much for a simulation of a real battle where normally there wouldn't be an orchestra playing in real life i.e. if you could go back in a time machine and view/heard the real battle is what you would personally want and for you the music just spoils your suspension of disbelief. Question

Oh, you are perfectly entitled to your preference here,: I just couldn't resist doing a little amateur psychoanalysis about your aversion to movie music. Wink Big Grin Cool

What would Star War be without a sound/music track: HMMMMMM sound in space we all know that wouldn't happen, all those WHOOOOOOOOSHES and laser BUZZZZZ and noisy explosions ! Not to mention the Symphony orchestra floating in space and all those poor musicians dying from lack of air in the cruel vacuum of space ....... Wink Razz

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Music during combat can be done effectively, plus it gives trombonists like me something to play. Happy I think, though, that it could also be very effective to have no music at all, so all you hear are the shouts, screams, trumpets, drums, thuds, clashes, whinnies, artillery (depending on time period), sound of arrows and bowstrings (depending on time period), etc. But that puts a lot of pressure on the foley artists whose job it would be to coordinate/enhance much of that in post-production. You can't mic every combatant or have boom operators everywhere.

I do agree that come films overuse music during battle. Sometimes I think it's done to mask the other foolishness going on. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only movie where I was completely thrown out of any sort of immersion was Ladyhawke. If you hate movie music, I advice you to watch that movie. After that, nothing will bother you anymore.

Last edited by Marko Susimetsa on Tue 17 Aug, 2010 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Eyal Azerad

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If anything, I think it will be entertaining. As with most epic films, I think this movie will (probably) have an overuse of heroic music, but as many of you have pointed....as long as it's well used, it should be fine....With "historical" films, my main concern is the use of accurate costumes (including swords, armors) and battle formations.

Eyal
David Huggins

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Centurion         Reply with quote

I did think the music score for 'Last of The Mohicans' and 'Legends of The Fall' where excellent (old romantic) and they often get a playing when the home is empty and I can enjoy the music to myself.

bes
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
T Franks

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Centurion         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
I did think the music score for 'Last of The Mohicans' and 'Legends of The Fall' where excellent (old romantic) and they often get a playing when the home is empty and I can enjoy the music to myself.

bes
Dave

Last of the Mohicans is one of my favorite soundtracks for sure! Actually, it probably tops my list. Good call.
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sort of an extremist when it comes to this ideology but I really think that most movies grossly overuse and misuse background music and that it makes the films predictable and cheesy, killing the tension and the visual art of the scene. One of my favorite films, Dog Day Afternoon, famously has no music at all (except for one song by Elton John over the opening credits) and it increases the tension of the movie a hundred fold by omitting a soundtrack. Barry Lyndon has some great battle sequences but the only music in them comes from the pipers and drummers who are actually marching into combat. When I watched The Patriot recently, the overwrought orchestral accompaniment to the battles completely took me out of the movie and ruined it for me.
Pastime With Good Company
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Barry Lyndon has some great battle sequences but the only music in them comes from the pipers and drummers who are actually marching into combat. When I watched [i]

Yes that is ideal when the music has a reality based context.

That movie did have a lot of music in other situations that didn't involve battles. ( Mostly period music I think but I haven't seen the movie in some time ).

One also gets very bad movies that try to use music to make bad action/battle scenes seem exciting when it actuality they are quite dull and nothing dramatic is actually happening except for the over done music score.

One problem though may be that once one has developed an aversion to ( bad ) ambiance music one can become over sensitized and dislike music that might be more " proportionally " well done ? ( Like becoming allergic to something !? ).

I guess to me there are some " Epic " type films that worked for me because of the overdone music score, like " Ben Hur " or " The Ten Commandments ". Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the movie`s plot is in Britain would`nt the celtic tribe the Romans would be fighting be the Britons? The picts were set in Scotland.....
T Franks

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Connor Lynch wrote:
If the movie`s plot is in Britain would`nt the celtic tribe the Romans would be fighting be the Britons? The picts were set in Scotland.....
Not necessarily. At this point the Britons are subdued for the most part. This plot pretty much involves the building of Hadrian's Wall, or tries to represent why it was built. In fact, Etain was supposedly a Brigantes (British tribe), who was hired by the Romans as a scout to help against the Picts, but it ended up she was raised by the Picts after the Romans messed her people up. So the main villain was a actually a vengeful Briton, so maybe some other Britons fled to the picts with her, I dunno.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marko Susimetsa wrote:
The only movie where I was completely thrown out of any sort of immersion was Ladyhawke. If you hate movie music, I advice you to watch that movie. After that, nothing will bother you anymore.

have you seen The Sword of Valiant: the story of Gawain and the Green Knight? ug that music!!!!!!!!!!
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well atleast heres one thing we all know the Celtic Gaels werent in this at all. There in Ireland
T Franks

PostPosted: Tue 17 Aug, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Connor Lynch wrote:
Well at least heres one thing we all know the Celtic Gaels werent in this at all. There in Ireland
At least for now they were. It seems the Gaels didn't arrive in Modern Scotland until around the 5th century, although this seems to be an issue of debate. The Picts were actually in Ireland at one point too, so they could have already had some kind of admixture, linguistically as well. If this is the case, one could argue that Gaelic culture existed even earlier to the north of Britain, in some hybrid form. Likely, the Picts belong to the Celtic family of languages, but wether they were closer to P-Celtic (Gallic & Brythonic) or Q-Celtic (Irish, Gaelic, Celtiberian) I am not certain.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Centurian--New movie
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: