Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review of the CAS Hanwei Bastard Training Sword and the GDFB Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Review of the CAS Hanwei Bastard Training Sword and the GDFB         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here is a quick video review I put together of the CAS Hanwei Bastard Sword (Training Blunt) and the GDFB Archer's Gamberson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWwLw4IOqPI

Bastard Training Blunt (From the CAS Catalog): The blade is forged in 5160 high-carbon steel, to minimize burring, and the transverse
thickness of the guard has been increased, both to provide adequate strength for re-enactment use and to present a safer profile at the ends of the guard. Another innovation is the provision of an all-leather scabbard, in contrast with the rigid scabbards normally provided with our Practical swords - this is designed both to provide an extra margin of safety when combatants fall on the scabbard in battle and also to minimze the need for replacement scabbards. The sword is supplied with the grip and scabbard in a neutral-colored leather to allow customization to the owners taste.

Overall: 49 ½”
Blade: 38”
Handle: Dyable Leather
Weight: 3lb 10oz

GDFB Archer's Gamberson (From the GDFB Catalog): This gambeson replicates a 15th century garment but is representative of gambesons worn by archers over a wide time span. This front-opening style has a scalloped hem with covered-button and loop closures on both the front and foresleeves.

Cheers,

Todd
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Review of the CAS Hanwei Bastard Training Sword and the         Reply with quote

Todd M. Sullivan wrote:

GDFB Archer's Gamberson (From the GDFB Catalog): This gambeson replicates a 15th century garment but is representative of gambesons worn by archers over a wide time span. This front-opening style has a scalloped hem with covered-button and loop closures on both the front and foresleeves.

Cheers,

Todd

The gambison you tested does seem good but the one I bought had a few issues that may be in part due to my being 250 pounds at 5'9" so that the XXL, or maybe it was only XL, which would make the problem worse just doesn't fit me well.

Actually at the shoulders and chest it seemed large enough but the waist was a little tight. My real problem is that I have a big ass as well with tree trunk legs so that the part below the waist was just not wide enough.

The other problem, and this may be only with my example of the gambison, is that the button loops are so small that it's almost impossible to slip the buttons in and out of the loops ! In fact some loops just broke when I tried to just open the gambison to try it on the first time.

I think that the person making the loops just made them barely loose enough for them to work and should have made them 10% to 15% bigger I estimate.

For a long and tall person, and if the button loops are O.K., it does seem like a very good gambison ..... if it fits one's body type. Short and squat not so much.

In any case I'll sell or give mine to someone with the right body type who won't mind redoing the button loops.
( I'm sure Kult of Athena would have reimbursed me if I had sent it back but I really hate sending things back across the border and all the nuisances of customs clearances and taxes ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Review of the CAS Hanwei Bastard Training Sword and the         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Todd M. Sullivan wrote:

Cheers,

Todd

The gambison you tested does seem good but the one I bought had a few issues that may be in part due to my being 250 pounds at 5'9" so that the XXL, or maybe it was only XL, which would make the problem worse just doesn't fit me well.

Actually at the shoulders and chest it seemed large enough but the waist was a little tight. My real problem is that I have a big ass as well with tree trunk legs so that the part below the waist was just not wide enough.

The other problem, and this may be only with my example of the gambison, is that the button loops are so small that it's almost impossible to slip the buttons in and out of the loops ! In fact some loops just broke when I tried to just open the gambison to try it on the first time.

I think that the person making the loops just made them barely loose enough for them to work and should have made them 10% to 15% bigger I estimate.

For a long and tall person, and if the button loops are O.K., it does seem like a very good gambison ..... if it fits one's body type. Short and squat not so much.

In any case I'll sell or give mine to someone with the right body type who won't mind redoing the button loops.
( I'm sure Kult of Athena would have reimbursed me if I had sent it back but I really hate sending things back across the border and all the nuisances of customs clearances and taxes ).

I'm 6' and about 225 lbs. and had problems fitting into the XL as well. Guess the guys modeling at GDFB are slimmer. ;-)

I have also become a firmer believer in straps and buckles rather than buttons for gambesons and armor base garments. Button holes become loose, buttons fall off and they don't offer as much adjustment potential as buckles. So no buttons for me anymore on my gambi's. I know they were popular historically, but we don't have cheap laboring seamstresses anymore to cheaply rebutton or resew our garments as our ancestors did. :-)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review of the CAS Hanwei Bastard Training Sword and the GDFB
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic