Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Eating Set from Tod's Stuff Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Eating Set from Tod's Stuff         Reply with quote

A couple of months ago I commissioned an eating set from Leo so I could have a portable set of cutlery when at Ren Faires. So I finally got around to getting some pictures and putting together this thread for it.

I'm pretty sure a set like this doesn't exist historically, but I wanted something compact and elegant but nonetheless something that could of been "made in the day" if someone was so inclined to want to have something like this made. I think he came up with something beautiful. He made the hand tooled case, the cutlery and the horn handles for them. I have four cutlery attachments that each can screw into any of the three handles. As you can see in the attached pictures, it came out rather nice. ;-)

On a related note, I had a problem with the set shortly after receiving it and had to send it back to Leo to have it fixed. He sent it back all fixed up and aside from shipping it didn't cost me anything additional. His customer service is outstanding and I can't recommend him enough for making custom historical pieces that are both artistically beautiful, functional and have that "look" of authenticity to them. I really like his work and look forward to having him do more of it for me in the future.

Attachment: 85 KB
P1010024.JPG
All components in their case

Attachment: 80.32 KB
P1010025.JPG
Everything laid out

Attachment: 80.09 KB
P1010026.JPG
Spoon, Fork and Knife

Attachment: 85.24 KB
P1010027.JPG
Prickler, Spoon and Knife

Attachment: 82.37 KB
P1010001.JPG
Case Closed
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is extraordinarily cool. I'm a big fan of eating sets, for some reason unknown to me, and that is a fine example.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the chance to make the set, and as you intimated is rather tricky.........

However Bryce Felperin wrote
Quote:
I'm pretty sure a set like this doesn't exist historically, but I wanted something compact and elegant but nonetheless something that could of been "made in the day" if someone was so inclined to want to have something like this made.

Well actually it is very closely based on an historical example, I can't post a picture for copyright reasons, but the accompanying text reads "Early travelling cutlery canteen circa 1590 which belonged to Louise de Lorrayne with ivory barley twist hasfts and threaded tangs for the silver spoon and steel knife and fork (from Tregallas, 1875)"

The case is a little different in the historical piece and the fork is 3 tined rather than 2, but otherwise it is a pretty good following of the original piece. Why people felt they needed a compact screw together set when they would clearly have servants to deal with their items escapes me - I guess historically we were suckers for gadgets too. I have a fantastic picture of the most extraordinary spoon in enamel and gilt, that is even more amazing when you realise the handle is telescopic like a car aerial - gadgets.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
J Anstey

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a wonderful set indeed> Now I want to see some pics of you in period clobber tucking into some charred animal !

Cheers

Jason
Martin Francis

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Well actually it is very closely based on an historical example, I can't post a picture for copyright reasons, but the accompanying text reads "Early travelling cutlery canteen circa 1590 which belonged to Louise de Lorrayne with ivory barley twist hasfts and threaded tangs for the silver spoon and steel knife and fork (from Tregallas, 1875)"

Tod

Just wondered, is that quote from "Cutlery for the Table" by Simon Moore ?, 'cos I think that's the book I have at home based on your recommendation a couple of years ago.

Looks very nice indeed,

Martin
Philip Montgomery

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Eating Set from Tod's Stuff         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
A couple of months ago I commissioned an eating set from Leo so I could have a portable set of cutlery when at Ren Faires. So I finally got around to getting some pictures and putting together this thread for it.

That is such a nice portable set. Well, "nice" is hardly adequate. The pieces are beautiful. A man spends more time using a spoon that he does a weapon....there is something about historical cutlery that brings the past alive....the mundane past. Frankly, the mundane is amazingly peaceful.

I have been wanting to buy something from Todd's Stuff for a long time. This might push me to get serious.

Philip Montgomery
~-----~
"A broken sword blade fwipping through the air like a scythe through rye does demand attention."
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Eating Set from Tod's Stuff         Reply with quote

Philip Montgomery wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:

That is such a nice portable set. Well, "nice" is hardly adequate. The pieces are beautiful. A man spends more time using a spoon that he does a weapon....there is something about historical cutlery that brings the past alive....the mundane past. Frankly, the mundane is amazingly peaceful.

I have been wanting to buy something from Todd's Stuff for a long time. This might push me to get serious.

Seriously, get serious! I predict Leo is going to just get busier and busier in the future as he keeps pushing his skill set up and manages to come up with more an more interesting and elegant productions. I'm planning on getting more and more stuff from him before he starts having 2 year wait periods and long customer queues. :-)
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Anstey wrote:
That is a wonderful set indeed> Now I want to see some pics of you in period clobber tucking into some charred animal !

Cheers

Jason

Perhaps later this Faire season. ;-)
Ed McV

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may be aware of Prince Charles Edward Stuart's silver travelling canteen. The kit contains 31 separate pieces which fit very well into the outer case. Its in the National Museum of Antiquities, Edinburgh. The details are in a booklet "I am come home" available from the museum.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Eating Set from Tod's Stuff
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic