Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Basket Hilts have arrived.... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joshua Hemingway

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Basket Hilts have arrived....         Reply with quote

The first of a new line of baskets from All Saints has arived. Combining Atrim Blades with hilts made by E. B. Erickson, the first is a Scottish 16th Century hilt:

This first hilt is blued with a blue grove with wire wrap done by Christian Fletcher.

This hilt is a historic patern of a 16th century Scottish hilt simaler to this one:

We will be offering theis hilts from E. B. as we get them, were not taking orders. We will be offering a secondary line that will be more modern in desighn, that we hope we will be able to offer continuisly.

Hope you like them, practical Rapiers are next!

J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades

Last edited by Joshua Hemingway on Sat 27 Sep, 2003 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

She looks really great! I am not a big fan of the complexer basket hilts, but this simpler ones (also the Dragoon- and the Simple Baskethilt from Armour Class, also continental European Baskethilts) are very appealing. I hope I can shave off some money next year for it...
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

16th century laddie, 16th ! *g*

Thanks Josh

The blackened hilt looks wonderful, and from what I can see Gus did a nice job on the pommel!

It's stats sound pretty dern good,too, as I know Angus built these with alot of use in mind!

I look forward to handling one !

Nice job guys! Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Joshua Hemingway

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mac! Glad you like it!

16th..... that's what I said! It was late, fixed.... Big Grin

J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great, incase I missed it will we be seeing a backsword blade on these hilts or at least an option for one? I'll be looking forward to owning one
Joshua Hemingway

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ben

Yes we will! Gus and I have been tossing around the idea for a Back Sword with a falce edge for one of the next set's coming. Also probably going to do at least one in a flaten diamond as well.

J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks outstanding! Hey Josh, what exactly do you mean by a secondary design that will be "more modern"?
Joshua Hemingway

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bill

Well this set is historicly acurate, looks right, feels right ect..

The next set will be a modern interpitation, not nesasarly a true historic peice but one made to be in line with that. E. B. Erickson is an scholar along with an artist.

I knda call our stuff, blades ect modern works, were not coping an existing sword were making then in line with them using moder tools and ideas, same with the next set of baskets.

J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: A few questions         Reply with quote

What inspired the blade choice for this sword? I haven't seen a historic sword with this type of blade on that basket style, so I'm curious if it was a matter of performance/handling that caused this choice? Did Gus try other blade styles and stick with this one because of certain reasons? How well do you think this one will perform as a cutter?

Thanks much!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
What inspired the blade choice for this sword? I haven't seen a historic sword with this type of blade on that basket style, so I'm curious if it was a matter of performance/handling that caused this choice? Did Gus try other blade styles and stick with this one because of certain reasons? How well do you think this one will perform as a cutter?

Thanks much!

I haven't either....... I haven't had the opportunity to handle or inspect a basket this early yet. I've handled and or been able to inspect between 20 and 25 baskethilts including a Schiavonna dating from 1700, but haven't handled anything earlier than the early 1600's........

I've now seen photos of four baskets similar to this........two on backswords, two on what appear to be straight double edged swords....

So I felt fairly comfortable adding a blade type that is similar in profile to stuff that has popped up from the early 13th century thru the 19th......... Including some later baskets.

As you and I discussed when we talked at Benicia earlier this year, I need to have most of my early baskets have a blade that can be used sharp, and interchange with a blade that can be used in "sidesword" sparring and training. A basket offers more hand protection for that kind of training and sparring than most other hilts used for that.

As I'm sure you've noted during your own handling and inspection of antique teastrainers, most {though not all} of the blades get really, really fine out in the cutting area of the blade {thickness}. A blade made this way won't survive much sparring, training, or reenactment.

So, the blade I've chosen for the first few baskets, is a blade that already is being used that way, and conversely is already proven as a cutting blade. The blade mounted in the medieval fashion, weighs 2lbs 4oz as a finished sword. The blade mounted in this basket weighs 2lbs 15......... This allows us {Josh and I} to offer baskethilts with interchangeable blades, one blade "sharp", and one blade WMA blunt. Both balancing similarly once assembled.

The first back blade will have similar characteristics. It'll be a blade that can be finish ground sharp, or finish ground WMA blunt depending........

Later, maybe next year, I would like to do something more accurate to the "average" of an antique basket. Meaning I'd like to make one with a blade that distal tapers such that the cutting areas are real thin crossection, that the blade profile will be recognizeable with the basket type shown in popular photos, etc..........However, I'd also like to add to what I've been able to inspect up close and personal like, as I'm far from being satisfied that way.

But a lot of that depends on the market. Whether the market finds AT baskets worth the investment or not........

Next year, particularly with the Ejay baskets, I'd like to be able to do a couple much more "accurate".

Handling.........This particular blade is very versatile. Its profile and distal taper gives it some versatility in balancing, meaning its a fairly easy blade to find a good combo for harmonic and dynamic balancing. That actually was key to this first combo, even though this combination is a bit heavy as far as historical averages go, the sword handles very well, tracks well, etc..........The basket is however a factor in performance, the blade with this combination does not cut quite as well as it does in more medieval like dress........

swords are fun
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: A few questions         Reply with quote

[quote="Angus Trim"]
Nathan Robinson wrote:
So, the blade I've chosen for the first few baskets, is a blade that already is being used that way, and conversely is already proven as a cutting blade. The blade mounted in the medieval fashion, weighs 2lbs 4oz as a finished sword. The blade mounted in this basket weighs 2lbs 15......... This allows us {Josh and I} to offer baskethilts with interchangeable blades, one blade "sharp", and one blade WMA blunt. Both balancing similarly once assembled.

Handling.........This particular blade is very versatile. Its profile and distal taper gives it some versatility in balancing, meaning its a fairly easy blade to find a good combo for harmonic and dynamic balancing. That actually was key to this first combo, even though this combination is a bit heavy as far as historical averages go, the sword handles very well, tracks well, etc..........The basket is however a factor in performance, the blade with this combination does not cut quite as well as it does in more medieval like dress........

So, would it be possible to purchase one blade with both types of hilt (i.e. interchangeable hilts rather than interchangeable blades)?
Geoff
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Uhhhhhhhh..........

At first blush I'd say no. There's two issues, both to do with the tang. I use the tang for some of the harmonic issues, and then we have a tang length thingie.......

Its likely possible. If the harmonic issues aren't a problem, then its a tang length thing, and that's solveable.

Its not something I've thought about before, so I have not checked things out. I'll have more baskets in the near future, and can check things out then.....

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Eric L.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like it allot, with a blue scabbard would look great. Big Grin

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Basket Hilts have arrived....
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic