Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Knight: Custom Handmade Scabbard 5-15-10 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian K.
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Albion Knight: Custom Handmade Scabbard 5-15-10         Reply with quote

Hello myArmoury community!

I would like to display a recent commission that I'm rather proud of. This one features some rather unique aspects, and a lot of design work went into this project.

The customer wasn't going for a 'fantasy' look persay, but rather a 'dark' or 'mercenary' type owner of this scabbard who may have done some particular 'nasty' deed's. After some discussion with the client, and symbolism established I came up with this.

Please feel free to comment, and thanks for looking.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Ed S.

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seeing as this will be in my hands a few days from now I thought that I would comment first.

This project turned out perfectly, even better than anything that I envisioned on my own while waiting for my name to reach the top of his queue. As Brian said, I wanted something with a 'dark' feel to it, but still far from 'fantasy' in appearance. He did a really great job designing something that fit perfectly with what I had in mind. I can't wait to get this next week, thanks again Brian (put my name back on the list please Happy).
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is some very handsome work. Congrats to both its creator and its soon to be caretaker.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 16 May, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The belt, weave, and incorporation of the decorative ring as part of it are very nice. As far as I know, this is a significantly unique design/ style creation by Brian. It is surprising how often he manages to develop new original custom aspects of his projects that are so pleasing to a dominant majority of us. Because of it, I think we are at the point where instead of just having "sword background wall paper", it is realistic to think about adding "scabbard background wall paper" to the Features section downloadable media.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 16 May, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yet another masterpiece Brian. It is amazing what you come up with for people and their swords. I just wish that I had more swords for you to make scabbards for! Big Grin Boy does that lead to an ever more slippery slope.

Ed, Let me congratulate you on a great scabbard. If you have an armor kit please post pictures with you wearing that rig. I can only imagine that it will look truly awesome.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Sun 16 May, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the design on the endcap. Very subtle. The entire design does a wonderful job of capturing a very unusual mood without drifting out of the realm of what would be historically believable. I think you struck a perfect balance here. Once I have a sword nice enough to deserve its own scabbard, you will be without question the one I go to for it.
"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Ed S.

PostPosted: Sun 16 May, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Yet another masterpiece Brian. It is amazing what you come up with for people and their swords. I just wish that I had more swords for you to make scabbards for! Big Grin Boy does that lead to an ever more slippery slope.

No kidding Happy

Scott Kowalski wrote:

Ed, Let me congratulate you on a great scabbard. If you have an armor kit please post pictures with you wearing that rig. I can only imagine that it will look truly awesome.

Scott

Thanks! I have been contemplating putting together a kit for some time now, I just could never decide on the theme/time period. Now that Brian has completed this project I have a piece to center it around and will be scouting out armor makers soon.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 May, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone, I appreciate the kind words.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Felix R.

PostPosted: Tue 18 May, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian you scabbards always look fantastic. But in this case I am wondering about the tribal pattern around the fleur lys. Why is that, did you use some special historic reference?
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 May, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
Brian you scabbards always look fantastic. But in this case I am wondering about the tribal pattern around the fleur lys. Why is that, did you use some special historic reference?

thanks Felix. I didn't have any specific historical inspiration for this one. Any relation to something tribal is merely coincidence. While I tried to remain within historical plausibility artistically, in this case I was trying to add an element of character that would suggest a person of lesser morals and he displays this through symbolism on his personal belongings.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed S. wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

No kidding Happy

Scott Kowalski wrote:

Scott

Thanks! I have been contemplating putting together a kit for some time now, I just could never decide on the theme/time period. Now that Brian has completed this project I have a piece to center it around and will be scouting out armor makers soon.

The worst part for me Ed is that after this I have one more project that is currently in progress and then I am done for the year with anything medieval. Though I might sneak in a soft kit along the way. At least that way I can show off my new scabbard at the Ren Faire this summer.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Knight: Custom Handmade Scabbard 5-15-10
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic