Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark A Smith wrote:
"Black from hoof to plume, the ill-omened knave..."

Gee, Jeff, too bad your boots are still brown! Do you want to borrow my black-painted Nikes? Laughing Out Loud

HAHAHA-You crack me up! But you know, you're right! How did I miss that? WTF?! Now I'll have to start over. Thanks a lot...

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Mark A Smith

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Kit         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
HAHAHA-What a great story. Ah, to be kids again. Well, I'm trying. I like your signature line too. In that vein, I have found my worst enemy when wearing my "pot" isn't what's in front of my face but what's in front of my feet. Nothing looks less heroic than pratfalling over a tree root or tumbling down a hill while wondering where your sword went.

That's one thing that was nice about my old pot. I ordered it straight out of the ole MR catalog. I didn't realize the eye-slits were bigger that the original, they just came that way. Later some detail Nazi pointed out that the helmet wasn't 100% accurate. I was just thankful for a little more vision and could care less about how well Sir Richard Pembridge could see.

I still think of all my helmets it is the most wicked cool. I still have it, mostly for sentimental reasons, even though I've passed most of my fighting armour on to my son. If I really look at it now, the breath hole aren't quite in line and the curvature isn't the best around the front. (It's early Christopher Poor, with a "CP" mark, before he started Arms & Armor) But it's like my first love.
I took roses to my future wife in it. I wore it in my first melee. I died in it so many times too soon (darn those slit holes even as big as they were!) ....

But as I always say...

Attachment: 65.44 KB
Pembridge Helm 001.jpg

"...nothing can hurt me as long as I keep this bucket on my head."
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Mark A Smith wrote:

Gee, Jeff, too bad your boots are still brown! Do you want to borrow my black-painted Nikes? Laughing Out Loud

HAHAHA-You crack me up! But you know, you're right! How did I miss that? WTF?! Now I'll have to start over. Thanks a lot...

Don't forget the belt too. ;-)
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Mark A Smith wrote:

Arrrggghhhh...

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Mark A Smith

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark A Smith wrote:
Gee, Jeff, too bad your boots are still brown! Do you want to borrow my black-painted Nikes?Laughing Out Loud

Bryce Felperin wrote:

With all this kibitzing it's no wonder the Black Knight is known to have such a contrary temper!

"NONE SHALL PASS!!!"

Gert-Jan Beukers

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the 'not-so-black' Knight. Nice outfit mate! You can really see that you love your kit!
Correct me if I'm wrong.... I'm dutch
Mark A Smith

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gert-Jan Beukers wrote:
the 'not-so-black' Knight. Nice outfit mate! You can really see that you love your kit!

After all my wisecracking I DID neglect to say what a great impression you make standing there, defiant, looking up at you on that rock. I would think twice before I blew the horn and challenged you to single combat, Jeff. You are one bad-ass Black Knight, and you'd probably wipe your shoes on me no matter what color they were. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Mark A Smith

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, so here's what I eventually put together, a classic 16th century white armour. I was disappointed the faulds ended up a bit longer- almost peascod length or English Civil War. But I love the hault guards, even though I never jousted. Of course the armour was fairly new ar this point and the straps are all over the place, I hadn't adjusted and tucked and customized anything. The sword isn't period either, it was just the only one we could find as we had just moved when this picture was taken (15 years ago). It's an early Del Tin 2132, what MRL called the "Santese Sword" before they were bought out by Windlass.

I didn't fight in this much, it felt too heavy after I was used to the freedom of mail, and the fit wasn't too good. I bought it from Illusion Armory and ever since found myself wishing I'd gone to Valentine instead. He had the look down for a full suit at an affordable price in the 80's and 90's.

In any case, after sitting in two Rubbermaid tubs out in the garage for over ten years I negotiated with my dear one to let him come in from the cold. We call him Manfred, and he stands by the door to greet our visitors. (Note the official Monty Python Killer Rabbit on his pauldron.) I put Cylon eyes in him on Halloween. He's become a notable member of the neighborhood.

Attachment: 74.21 KB
Full Plate.jpg

Attachment: 41.38 KB
Manfred.jpg

Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Paul, the scale armour in you Auxiliary kit is just...wow... beautiful (the rest of the stuff aint exactly shabby, but that just really stands out as one of the best looking armours I have seen around the traps)

Nathan, I love the guy at the far right in the first pic in your seccond post there, omehow manages to look like a pirate even in the plate harness, which is way cool Big Grin

That is my old friend Barchan. he has been jousting longer than most of the current jousters have been alive. One of the nicest, most chivalrous men that I know.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark A Smith wrote:
Gert-Jan Beukers wrote:

After all my wisecracking I DID neglect to say what a great impression you make standing there, defiant, looking up at you on that rock. I would think twice before I blew the horn and challenged you to single combat, Jeff. You are one bad-ass Black Knight, and you'd probably wipe your shoes on me no matter what color they were. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

I doubt that Mark. You strike me as clever, resourceful and possibly insane. Anyone who names themselves after their kid's Lego set, paints his Nike's black and makes mail out of key rings I would be very wary of. There's no telling what you may do, maybe using a toilet plunger stuck on my helmet to blind me (as if I'm not vision-impaired enough) while you used me for a pinata with your kid's bat. How humiliating.

I noticed your armored knight. A very handsome outfit, although I am afraid I don't know that much about it outside of just looking at it. The Monty Python rabbit is an especially nice touch. I need to get one. This is just another example of why you make me nervous.

Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:
Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Mark A Smith wrote:

Arrrggghhhh...

Well at least the belt does match the boots. ;-)
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gert-Jan Beukers wrote:

Thank you for the compliment. You're right, I do kind of like it. It's been a long time in the making. I'm almost sorry it's over. Wait, I still need a horse! DARN it! And I thought THIS was expensive... Eek!

Bert Gevaert

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And this is my armour!
The photo is taken in our 15th century towergate in Brugge (Belgium).

Attachment: 24.07 KB
IMG_0362b.jpg

Fotuna Fortibus Favet
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bert, nice to see some one doing a kettle helmet and bevor instead of the standard visored sallet.
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just got a beautiful set of arms made from the Mercenary's Tailor. My first piece from Allan, based primarily on all the recommendations I've heard from the members of this forum. Hopefully (and almost certainly) not the last.
Still a perpetual work in progress, but it's a big step up from the fantasy-esque kit I posted here when I first joined. No helm featured, as the two I own are both woefully inaccurate.

Attachment: 69.21 KB
IMG_2719.jpg

Attachment: 60.05 KB
IMG_2721.jpg

Attachment: 61.28 KB
IMG_2727.jpg

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
David Teague

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice action shots of Matt Cacy and I giving a Harnischfechten demo last year

Matt's kit is based off the the idea of a non noble Man at Arms and mine is as a Lesser Knight.

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quinn, I have something of a question about your sword. It looks remarkably like the Hanwei War Sword I have, except there seems to be a rather noticable peen block(?) on the pommel. This seems a little strange to me, and I can only conclude that it is one of two things:

1. It is a slightly modified Hanwei War Sword. This seems odd to me, as you have the money for some cool armor, but the War Sword is pretty much the cheapest of the cheap. On the other hand, I like the way it feels in my hand and feel there is a certain charm to it, so I can see where it is just a personal preference or you're using it for a beater or something.

2. The Hanwei War Sword is based off of an historical design and so is yours. I sort of discount this one because I feel the War Sword looks rather modern and has features I would have thought inaccurate, but it isn't like I'm an expert.

So, if I'm not being too rude here, which is it? Or is it something else entirely?

Edit:
3. My eyesight is bad or the picture doesn't show enough detail to show that it actually doesn't even look like the Hanwei War Sword...
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, you're spot on, Colt. The main reason is that even nice armor can happen in $150-200 increments, whereas to upgrade from my War Sword to an Albion would be a bit of a bigger step than that, and college tuition must come first for the time being. One day, though...
The reason I haven't gone for a middle-range sword between a Hanwei and an Albion is that I do actually like the way my War Sword feels and handles compared to others within that price range, and I feel as long as it's a decent representation of what a historical sword should be (if not a particularly high quality one) then it can hold the place until I can go for the best, rather than set down $450 for a middle-range one and thus have to put off my dreams of getting the Steward for another year at least.
This specific one is an older model. I understand they've upgraded the pommel and grip since then.
Nice catch, and no, you didn't come off as rude at all. Anything to clarify for anyone who's interested or to help me improve my own kit.

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Paul Kenworthy

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
Todd M. Sullivan wrote:
I'm going for the infantry kit...need a kettle helm and perhaps bevor.

Hi Todd!

I like what you are doing with your "infantry kit", but since you are doing the 15th century with it, I'd pair up a sallet of some sort along with either a bevor or a padded maille standard for that classic 15th century WotR type look.

[snip]

Now, what I would do with your breast plate (after having it fitted) is remove the lower portion, cover the upper portion with a colorful linen and do a "faux brigantine" rivet pattern on it, then fit a plackard to it for "the bomb". (Extra points if you cover the elbows with the same cloth & rivet pattern

Spiffy Foot soldier look. Cool

Hi David,

This what you had in mind?

I'm trying to look like a pikeman in a Burgundian company of the ordinance circa 1474, hence the blue and white motif on the helmet.

Best Regards,

Paul
David Teague

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Kenworthy wrote:
David Teague wrote:
Now, what I would do with your breast plate (after having it fitted) is remove the lower portion, cover the upper portion with a colorful linen and do a "faux brigantine" rivet pattern on it, then fit a plackard to it for "the bomb". (Extra points if you cover the elbows with the same cloth & rivet pattern

Spiffy Foot soldier look. Cool

Hi David,

This what you had in mind?

Da Bomb! Cool

I just might finish up something along those same lines this late summer/ fall

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 37 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: