Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A quick question on pointing and layers... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Josh Skaarup

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: A quick question on pointing and layers...         Reply with quote

Heya folks,

I was hoping someone could help me out here, I'm just trying to visualize how something armor related would work, mostly out of my own curiosity, for drawing, and potentially for future projects. Anywho, on to the query.

With regards to a c. 14th century harness, something transitional, I was wondering how one attaches/points their arms to the arming coat/gambeson if a hauberk/byrnie is worn?

Allow me to clarify a bit. Your legs are already on the pourpoint, and your gambeson/arming coat is on now. There are points to attach rerebrace, couter etc.. but say you wish to wear a hauberk overtop? Do you pull the points through the links in the mail and point it like that? Or say if they're only elbow-length mail sleeves, do you point on your arms, then wear the mail overtop? If its the former (points thru coat) then does this cause binding/bulking issues?

Which then brings me to spaulders/pauldrons/espaliers. Should they be pointed, do you also bring them up through the hauberk to tie, or would you now be forced to buckle them to a gorget (which seems a good method, but I have to wonder if mobility is reduced at all)

I'm sure there's a very simple explanation for this, but of all the sites/instructions I happen to find on the subject, they tend to gloss it over, or don't show the harness with hauberk, or use something different, like a mail-gusseted arming coat.

If my questions seemed a little convoluted, I'd be happy to clarify.

Thanks in advance!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

depends on the harness. i have seen where the rerebracer is pointed to the arming doublet and the hauberk is 1/2 sleeved and goes over the top of it. then the spaulders are pointed threw the mail. but then again I've seen the arm all as 1 piece and pointed threw the mail and the mail is completely underneath.
Dan Mackison

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does this help?

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/sho...300900g001
David Teague

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Mackison wrote:
Does this help?

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/sho...300900g001

Just like my harness, the "knight" in the video looks like he points his arms & spalders to the hauberk.

Much easier than trying to pull points though the maille.

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Josh Skaarup

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why yes, that helps clarify superbly. Thanks guys. Really dig your harness there David, when I can get some more disposable income coming my way, that's sort of the angle I'd like to go for.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A quick question on pointing and layers...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic